How to pull an all-nighter....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Andreas Sukov, Jan 19, 2010.

1. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

How do you guys do it? If you have an important work assignment or are still at school what do you do when your back is to the wall?

Tonight, i drank alot of coke. I also had a few power naps and had one nap, about an hour long to help for the final push. I usually swear by tea, as it makes me alert and warm without the crappy aftertaste coke gives in the morning.

I know if i just worked earlier this would be avoided, but where is the fun in that? :biggrin1:

2. hud01

Gold Member

After my first year in college(university) I never pulled an all nighter. Too stupid. It does not take a lot of planning, unless you are working, to get papers done or to be ready for an exam.

3. D_Andreas Sukov

oh i wouldnt do one after my first year. My first year is more a free year. Nothing i do will count towards my final Grade, but it prepares me for it and i do need to knowledge i get from it.

4. denton85

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    first try to nap in the late afternoon to early evening. an hour maybe 2

have a late dinner around 8-9 PM.

take a vitamin B complex. It will help your body REALLy stay up for prolonged natural energy .....

Do NOT really on caffiene to keep you up. When it runs out you'll crash so very very hard. Only use it dire situations.

Right before the test.... pound the caffiene NOW. This is where you want your groggy mind to go into hyper drive. If you are me u need something stronger than coke or coffee... I used Redline.... 1 bottle for most people is enough. (it's about 3 cans of redbull in a bottle.... I needed 2 for a good effect)

I pulled more all nighers than anyone i knew. I've Aced tests i don't even remember taking lol.

In the middle of the afternoon i shoot up awake and yell "oh shit i feel asleep. i missed my test!" My roommate slowly turns to me, raises an eyebrow and says "you took your test... came back.... and passed out dude..... remember?"

"no.... you sure?"

"yeah"

"ok...good"

then i would pass out for the rest of the day. that happened a hand full of times. I graduated with a pinch over a 3.5 gpa... and that includes me never going to class, and doing all nighters all the times.... and being drunk any night i wasn't doing an all nighter...

5. D_Andreas Sukov

if the test is around an hour long, then ill hype up the caffene. any longer and i dont, because ive crashed mid test before, and it lowered my grade badly. I was looking for a decent B and ended up with a C. it doesnt sound bad, but i was pissed.

6. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I don't drink Coke or any kind of drink with caffeïne in it. Luckily I write my papers on time :wink: so I don't have to do them overnight. But I do have projects where I have to work the whole night long. I expect some long nights this week, deadlineweek. My trick is to put some music on and sing-a-long with it while working. And loads of water.

#6 D_Jared Padalicki, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. D_Portelay Porquesword

Keep your body hydrated, Gatorade (G2 for those watching their figure) in addition to mild stimulants like coke or tea.

8. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Avoid them - spread it out in the day instead. :/

9. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Never did an all nighter. Having stayed up late, late getting stuff done for school (high school) I was aware that my work would go below standard as the night went on. What I'd do is stay up latish (1am or 2am) planning the essay, rough writing, diagrams, quotes, whatever - getting the jigsaw puzzle together. Then go to bed and sleep til 5am. Get up at 5 to some really strong coffee and then write. I was always more focused with the 3 or 4 hours to write (assuming I had to hand the paper in at 9 or 10).

For exams I never, never did an all nighter. Not once. If I didn't know what I needed to know 24 hours prior to the test then no amount of last minute work was going to get me there. Not to the standards I set for myself - bare passes are something I haven't done since Leaving Cert Irish :)

#9 ManlyBanisters, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  10. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

when in school and working I could work into the night. I'm a night person. but I needed some sleep toward morning.

found I could not set an early alarm and get up to study or do work for the office. I was unable to concentrate and what I studied/worked on was a disaster.

During inventory at a place I worked, I was up on two occasions for 24 hours. that's really 24-hour computer support.

11. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fear is a great motivator.

12. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I rather call it stress :wink:

13. D_Andreas Sukov

i tend to do similar to MB. Stay up then sleep and wake up early. Given that i dont sleep till around 4 am most days anyway, it isnt so much of a problem.

14. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Stress is by-product of fear.

15. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

I'm nocturnal so pulling an all-nighter isn't exactly a problem for me. Staying awake the next day, however, is.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

When I was in school I never stayed up all night studying I found I did not retain the information very well. In the olden days before computers were invented I would stay up late typing my papers. I just drank a great deal of coffee and made sure I had a better part of the next day to recover.
    I always tried to stay ahead of reading and writing projects so I never felt under the wire. Before exams I would review the night before and review again the morning of the exam.

17. Autofellatio

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    For me, it takes about two cans of Coke, and a clock.

I drink them up, then stay up past 2 am. After that, I sort of lose the urge to sleep.

18. B_New End

B_New End New Member

I pull them all the time, but I don't really have any type of sleep schedule, so I sleep when I want to, and stay up when I want to.

19. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have lost the ability to do allnighters. The body is less resilient now. But when I did, the biggest helps were:

hot broth and having to pee

pacing

singing aloud

constant snacking

Caffeine will keep you up past your usual sleep time but it will expire after a few hours and be followed by jitters if reapplied. Endless tiny doses of sugar and vitamins are better.

Even with all this, allnighters tended to make me insane and spontaneous allnighters are a sign of bipolar mania. I know they are a sort of tradition in some circles, but not everybody's nerves can support them.

20. D_Andreas Sukov

I've already had some Bi polaric mania experiances but thats for another thread. In the end, i was awake for around 40 hours or so with a small 50-odd minute nap in the middle. If that counts as a proper sleep then i wasnt awake for said time. But, i found that at a certain time i reached a barrier where i wasnt tired anymore, untill i got back home around 1AM in which i just collapsed on my bed. LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted