How To Really Honor The Military

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pinspotter10, Aug 29, 2010.

1. pinspotter10

pinspotter10 Member

Okay, a bit of a rant:

As a vet, I'm sick of the lip service politicians in general and conservatives in particular pay to "honoring veterans."

My dream was that then president George W. Bush would go to a civilian university to deliver a commencement address and urge the graduates to consider a term of military service, pointing out what a positive influence it was on his life and career.

Just once, I'd like to hear a politician (John McCain?) actually deliver a speech in which he would directly encourage the eligible to join up.

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Republican feel that they have the military (and vets) in their pocket nearly to the same degree that Dems feel they have LGBTs in theirs (though with less justification on the part of the former, the cliché still holds).

Not meaning to derail this thread, but I firmly believe that our military commitments would have taken a sharply different tack if, following the attacks on 9/11, which was a provocative act of war, we'd have re-instituted the draft, just as we did following Pearl Harbor.

For better or worse, the military as it stands now is the clearest and most accessible path most disadvantaged youth have to escape from the dead-ends of their home environments and step into the middle class, presuming that they emerge in one piece.

This post in no way denigrates the military, whether on active duty, on stand-by or as vets. You have my deepest thanks for the sacrifice you make/have made, and deserve far finer treatment than has been your lot.

3. pinspotter10

pinspotter10 Member

Bbucko - no slight of any kind taken. I freely admit I joined up because I didn't have a job and knew I needed to get moving forward on my life.

It just really gripes me that Bush would go to a service academy and say, "There is no higher calling than military service." but then would never directly look at a camera or an audience and say words to the effect of, "I want YOU to consider (blah blah)."

Okay, I guess I'm done ranting now.

Thanks, everyone, for listening.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Our continued ongoing and indefinite presence in two wars of conquest and empire rest completely on the fact that our army is all-volunteer. You'd never in your life see anyone outside of a recruitment station really proselytize a career in military service, and, again: it seems as though vets need to reach the age of 85 before their services are recognized.

The Walter Reed Hospital scandal turned my stomach.

5. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

What I dislike the most is the implication that there is some kind of epidemic of disrespect toward our own soldiers. By whom? It's as rare as a flag-burning, another Republican bogeyman that only exists to throw red meat at their own followers and to provoke Democrats into protesting too much.

6. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I honor the military by letting them fuck the shit out of me, hehe. But in all seriousness, I have to agree with the OP and with BBucko. Republicans pretend to be pro military and pro defense, but ask them to pay for it, and they say no way Jose.

7. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    except that it wasn't. good ole Georgie may have been "in" the service but managed to avoid ever actually being "in" the service

agreed! even now the republicans are trying to cut service pay and medical coverage for vets.

#7 slurper_la, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

#8 nudeyorker, Aug 31, 2010
  9. maxcok

Gold Member

I wholeheartedly endorse your intention and sentiment with this thread, however I feel compelled to provide clarification to this:
    Although no doubt Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard has provided him some slight credentials in terms of "military service" and perhaps aided his political career, I think it would be disingenous for him to advocate for military service on that basis, as his own record is hardly exemplary. In fact, he was able to secure a position in the Guard at the behest of political friends of his daddy, thus avoiding combat in Viet Nam, a common practice for the well-connected at the time. He ultimately failed to meet his contractual obligations of service, rendering him ineligible for active combat duty, and was apparently AWOL for a period of time. I won't belabor the details, but Wiki has a fairly comprehensive breakdown of the particulars if you are interested, with testimony and statements from both sides.

Having said that, I join others in thanking you and honoring you for your service, along with all your comrades who have served. At the risk of again sounding partisan, although truthful, I think that when progressives say that, it is genuine, heartfelt and human, whereas for many conservatives it is automatic and jingoistic. We're just compassionate that way, and unlike certain pseudo patriots, we try to put our money where our mouth is by supporting the troops with cost of living increases and supporting veterans programs in particular -another of those myths debunked. To hearken back to your thread title, that's the way to "really honor the military".

#9 maxcok, Aug 31, 2010
  10. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

I truly wish they would lift some of the restrictions.I tried twice, but asthma is a disqualifier. So is certain allergies.

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

I'll throw my two cents in for the affirmative. I do honor the military and the sacrifice required by members of all branches of service. What I don't honor is politicians dragging us into pointless conflicts. For example, I doubt the wound in the American psyche regarding Viet Nam will ever heal. Even the supporters of that protracted tragedy (Robert MacNamara, for example, who finally recanted "his" truth regarding Viet Nam and for you students of history you should be poignantly aware that LBJ wanted nothing to do with that war, but was advised otherwise).

However lots of war hawk Republicans got very very rich during that war. Just as many many Republicans (and a certain Vice President) have been raking it in. CEO of Halliburton as Vice President or vice versa? No conflict of interest there.

And today I heard "several billion" US Dollars that were earmarked for rebuilding Iraq are unaccounted for? What a surprise. That's one of the greatest in-your-face insults anyone could throw at the military while war veterans cannot get proper medical attention or soldiers in the field still cannot get effective protective gear and supplies.

Draft saved Draft deleted