How to reinstall Windows... ?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Dec 3, 2010.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

So... I have this Gateway laptop with Windows Vista on it. I want to sell it, so I'm going to reinstall windows to wipe the thing mostly clean for it's new future owner. I wasn't given a disc when I purchased the computer, nor did I make a backup disc. Several months ago I reinstalled Windows on the thing, but I can't remember how I did it. And now, I can't figure it out. I tried restarting and pressing F11 or F8 to access a secret partition, but nothing happens, nor can I find a secret partition in Windows itself. I'm stumped! Any ideas?

2. hud01

Gold Member

for a hacker, reinstalling windows won't do anything. You need to buy a program that wipes your hard drive.

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why don't you just go to the restore feature and bring the machine back to day one? I had to do that 2 yrs ago when I sold an old laptop. Just save yr stuff first on a thumb disc and restore it.

4. JF

JF
    Gold Member

If you don't have the recovery CD / DVD and there's no recovery partition available, it looks as though you'll have to either sell it without an Operating System, install Ubuntu (or another Linux flavour), buy a legit Gateway recovery CD / DVD, buy a legit Windows copy or hope you can find a friend (or suitable site on the Internet) who can provide a recovery CD / DVD that works with your model of laptop.

Before selling it, I'd recommend using a tool to completely erase the hard drive such as DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing. This will reformat the drive to DoD spec to overwrite any data (current or previously erased) completely so it can't be recovered. You'd then have to (re)install the chosen O.S. to be sure the computer contains none of your personal data.

Tools to undelete files are readily available so you could be setting yourself up for identity theft if you don't follow the above.

Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted