How to sell a gift and not hurt the gift giver?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_thickjohnny, Aug 25, 2011.

1. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

I'm moving from Prague back to the US. I'm listing things online to sell off. Some of these things were gifts. One of the gift givers saw something he gave me and asked me why I was selling his gift. It's simple. It's a 220 toaster that won't work in the US.

What's the best way of handling something like this? A gift is a gift and the receiver can do what he wants with it, right?

On another note, my ex WANTS certain things. He didn't say he'd pay for them; just that he wants them. I wrote him the price for each. He wrote back, not about any of that, but that he wants the pillows he bought when we were in New York (WTF?) and which I was going to toss or give to charity because they're now 3 years old. So I said ok, you can have the pillows (Ralph Lauren king size only found in the US) but I told him that since I bought the sheets and pillow cases he can buy those!

2. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just tell the gift-giver the truth. That you thoroughly enjoyed their extremely thoughtful gift while you were able to use it, ad that abhoring waste, you are ready to see it go to another good home now, since it will not work where you are going.

3. MickeyLee

Gold Member

sentimental gifts, i wouldn't part with.

house hold items, clothing, and what not... i don't see why the gifter would be offended. the item has outlived it's purpose, or has been updated. is silly not to put the item back in circulation, either sold or charity.

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Easy; just check it with the airlines you flew in with, they'll have that sucker lost but good.

5. august86

august86 Member

Albums:
    In general, I'm not a fan of re-gifting and giving away things that you've received.
    However, in your case it was something which would now be rendered moot, so the person should be able understand that.

PS: the ex is a tad bit petty, though. If he didn't take the sheets on his way out, then that sucks for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted