Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I tend to snore when I've had a couple of glasses of wine before bed and when I pack on some pounds (e.g., I try to keep my weight at 175lbs, but when I get sloppy, e.g., right now, at about 183, I tend to snore a lot more).

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I snore. I started after a car accident years ago. They operated and ran a tube down my throat when I was out. It was after that. I have gone to a sleep center and don't have sleep apnia. I know I don't sleep completely rested so I am tired. I have tried sleeping pills and then you are tired the next day. It sucks

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I use a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. It was more than because of the snoring , I held my breath in my sleep. The clinic clocked me at a minute and a half of holding my breath.

Sucks, but now I can sleep. they said if the CPAP machine hadn't worked, there's surgery they can perform to cut out the tissue in the back of your mouth (uvula, etc). Since the CPAP works, they suggested against the surgery because even that's 50-50.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. It was more than because of the snoring , I held my breath in my sleep. The clinic clocked me at a minute and a half of holding my breath.

Sucks, but now I can sleep. they said if the CPAP machine hadn't worked, there's surgery they can perform to cut out the tissue in the back of your mouth (uvula, etc). Since the CPAP works, they suggested against the surgery because even that's 50-50.

I'd be tempted to try the surgery just so I didn't have to sleep with the machine *shudders*

offside

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Just cause you snore doesn't mean you have sleep aponea
Things that might indacate aponea would be;
1. Headache when you wake up in the morning.
2. Nose bleeds or dried blood when you blow your nose.
3. Sore throat and/or excessively dry mouth in the morning
4. Over tired during the day falling asleep inappropriately ie within minutes of sitting down.
The long term solution to reducing your snoring is to loose weight stop smoking avoid alcohol - this is not personal it's just general control measures
Should you be concerned as to any of these symptoms consult your doctor.
The tennis ball thing is cheap and effective in the short term

Last edited:

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd be tempted to try the surgery just so I didn't have to sleep with the machine *shudders*

It's one of those health insurance dilemmas. The CPAP machine works, therefore the insurance company sees it as cured. If I elect to do the surgery, health insurance won't pay for it.

Besides, the doctor I went to said the surgery could backfire so bad that not only would my apnea not be cured, but the CPAP machine could end up not working.

I hate the machine, and the way it makes me sound like Darth Vader when I sleep, but it does let me sleep.

Things that might indacate aponea would be;
2. Nose bleeds or dried blood when you blow your nose.

This happens to me, but I always thought it was the dry air in Colorado. Why is that considered a symptom?

Last edited:

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's a chin strap that is supposed to cure snoring and sleep apnea by holding the lower jaw in a position that prevents both problems.
I've seen it advertised.
Have no idea if it works.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

No it isn't. This is serious stuff, and sleep apnea can kill you.

Actually Hick,I was talking about the banter going back and forth.I myself use a cpap machine.had a sleep study and found out that I stopped breathing 39 times an hour. Even though I'm of average weight with a smaller neck than 17" ,I had serious trouble staying awake during the day. and everyone within a square mile heard me snore. I'm now refreshed when I wake up,I'm more alert and much happier.
The mask might take some getting use to,but the results are well worth the inconvenience..

Sirramm

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've recently been told I snore like all bloody hell but only sometimes. If I drink large amounts of beer, take a pain med for any reason, or am extremely tired I snore like a freight train. It is so bad that my GF or I have to seek quietness somewhere else in the house. If anyone finds a real 'cure' please let me know!!!!!

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I've recently been told I snore like all bloody hell but only sometimes. If I drink large amounts of beer, take a pain med for any reason, or am extremely tired I snore like a freight train. It is so bad that my GF or I have to seek quietness somewhere else in the house. If anyone finds a real 'cure' please let me know!!!!!

I sleep with a cpap. It has saved my life. Your doctor can set up a sleep study for you and determine how severe your problem is. Good luck 7

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I tend to snore when I've had a couple of glasses of wine before bed and when I pack on some pounds (e.g., I try to keep my weight at 175lbs, but when I get sloppy, e.g., right now, at about 183, I tend to snore a lot more).

I was recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. My wife couldn't take my snoring anymore and goaded me into taking a sleep study. The results surprised me (I had an AHI of 18), because I thought I had been sleeping fine and am generally very healthy. I am a little overweight (i.e., 10 pounds. I am 6'0 and weighed 185 this morning; 175 is really a better weight for my frame). I started using a CPAP machine this week. I am not thrilled about it, but am happy to see my AHI with the machine on range between 2.5 and 5.5.

It also surprised me as I did a search on these boards for some LPSG wisdom and saw that I had chimed in on this "How to Stop Snoring" thread 5 years ago!

If you use a CPAP, I am curious how long it took you to get used to it and what types of results you've experienced (do you feel noticeably different, etc.) and any tips or advice. I'm only 5 days into using the machine. Thanks!