How to survive shitty times?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by luka82, Mar 17, 2011.

1. luka82

Gold Member

I see many LPSGers have had a really bad week.
    What are your tips for going through rough time?

2. legionking

legionking New Member

whenever i go through some tough times, i would get out the house and just drive for hours go anywhere my car takes me.

3. hud01

Gold Member

I used to do that, but someone is borrowing my car, so I sit here and watch crappy TV

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Realize that things could be worse and carry on. I usually have too much work to do to dwell on negative things.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

There are different levels of "Shitty",
    If someone dies my grieving process is very personal.
    If I have a bad day I go to the gym or play tennis.
    If I'm having a bad month I try to take a short trip; usually it helps to look at something new for a few days.
    If I'm just feeling sorry for myself I go to a museum and look at pretty things and then go out for a nice lunch... if that does not help I call a friend and go out for drinks and talk it over.

6. luka82

Gold Member

Good levels! :smile:

7. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i don't take it personally.

it's not like the grey skies are over my head so the sun can shine on someone else.
    is just a roll of the dice.

if i am lucky, i'll see my responsibilities and culpability in the situation. maybe learn a few things on the way?

big shitty - boot strap up. work to chisel the mountain down.

medium shitty - try to learn what i can from it.

random crap - duck's back/water.

and a heavy bag.
    loud aggro music. taped wrists. attempt to punch my way through the bag :biggrin:

8. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Watch some footage of the recent events in Japan on youtube then put all my grumbles into perspective.

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    If I can find the focus, I write: the subject is largely irrelevant. If I can only summon limited focus, I go back and edit something written previously. Both bring me to different places without having to physically alter location (as mobility is sometimes an issue for me).

If I'm incapable of concentrating beyond enjoying music or just passive reading, pharmaceuticals work, too :wink:

10. B_doubledouble

B_doubledouble New Member

find some old tunes that you used to listen to during the good times and let it play.

11. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I try to remember that no matter how rough I think it is, there is always someone somewhere that has it worse than I do. Then I do something that makes me feel better.

12. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    Put on my headphones, plug them into my stereo, sit back and just listen to the music I love for hours.....

Ditto.

13. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Hmmm, depends really. Last time I felt really shitty after I broke up with my ex I just done loads of overtime at work, working every day non stop, after work I'd go out to some bars with mates and do a few lines.

Not the best thing to do, stupid really, but it's what I did.

14. midlifebear

Gold Member

Normally I do what Bbucko does, write, rewrite, edit. However, I'm not at "home" these days (Barcelona). And I've been dealing with chemo and radiation treatments while recovering from several deep surgeries. So, I take Collectivo 125 to Belgrano, borrow my mother-in-law's car and take the "girls" out for some adult supervised fun in the Pampas. The Squeeze is a typical porteño who must have at least two hyper-energetic dogs confined in a large, dense city. Our building does not allow pets. Yet since coming to Buenos Aires December 1st he has acquired a black lab pup and a beagle about the same age, ostensibly for the mother-in-law. The "girls" sleep and mostly poop at her house. It's a ruse. The Squeeze AND his mother are completely irresponsible, although they share a great work ethic. But taking dogs for walks is not part of that ethic.

The "girls" are growing very fast. They need jobs. So, until I'm able to find them employment I drag their happy asses out to the vast grassy Pampas where they can run until they can't run anymore. I also take a can of old tennis balls and a #1 wood club. The black lab has a serious need to retrieve, so whacking a tennis ball with a giant wood driver gives me a bit of exercise -- beer cans make great golf Ts. Four or five drives wears out the black lab rather quickly. The beagle tries to follow, but just hasn't long enough legs to keep up. They are growing into a great pair of friends and protect each other.

Buenos Aires has a very strict leash law. I'm pleased that it only took a week to teach "the girls" how to wear their leashes and carry them neatly folded in their mouths in the city. When we return, I pick up the mother-in-law and drive her to my street where we sit and enjoy refreshing licuados and tostados at the cafe behind the Eva Peron museum as the "girls" find the most comfortable positions around her feet. The out door cafe is "un amigo de mascotes" and encourages ladies with their lap dogs to play high tea around 15:00 PM.

That's what's been picking up my spirits for the last few months. I'll miss them when I return home March 30th. But I have two rather mature non-specific rescue breed "girls" in Spain whom I miss a great deal. And they miss me. My garden opens out into a National Park. The "older girls" are semi-retired. They enjoy working part-time by sleeping in the shade on the enclosed back lawn and chasing squirrels which they will never catch in the forest behind the house.

#14 midlifebear, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  15. lucidbass

lucidbass New Member

I at least try to block out the problems that are unrelated to what is making me feel shit at the time. Unrelated problems you can't deal with will only make you feel worse.

It's something I have to deal with 'cause I'm bipolar and when I feel like shit, I constantly make myself aware of it and when you're depressed and bipolar, there's nothing worse in the world than being bipolar and aware of it, knowing there's nothing that can make it go away.

16. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't beat a good roadtrip. :D

I tend to stick to my usual routine during crises, but if I'm feeling particularly down I add lots of extra comforts, lol.

17. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    My favorite is to sleep on it. The only time that doesn't work is when it's so horrible you cannot sleep, then you need to walk it out.

18. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cup of tea is always good, too. :smile:
    Gives you a bit of a breather.

19. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lots of Xanax and Benadryl.

20. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

music (I once blew out a pair of Koss stereo headphones) and computers help. so does taking a drive. what I hate is when someone doesn't understand bi-polar and says "get over it".

Draft saved Draft deleted