How to survive shitty times?

lucidbass

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah, like the way I describe it is a constantly shifting/fluctuating perception of the world. It's more than just feeling crap for some time and good for some other time and hanging in there.

Haven't encountered people who think it's 'something to get over', though.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
^^lucidbass: That sounds like depression. Talk to someone who hasn't a vested interest in making money off of your sadness and ask them if they can recommend a therapist who doesn't cost an arm and a leg for an initial consultation. Or check with you community mental health organization. Sometimes just one or two talking sessions can help restore hope and a sense of well-being. Depression is almost as common as getting a cold and most people recover on their own after about a month. But if it persists, it's a good idea to get a second opinion.

lucidbass

Experimental Member
Media
^^lucidbass: That sounds like depression. Talk to someone who hasn't a vested interest in making money off of your sadness and ask them if they can recommend a therapist who doesn't cost an arm and a leg for an initial consultation. Or check with you community mental health organization. Sometimes just one or two talking sessions can help restore hope and a sense of well-being. Depression is almost as common as getting a cold and most people recover on their own after about a month. But if it persists, it's a good idea to get a second opinion.

Hmm?

I'm diagnosed bipolar, as I've said before. I'm actually getting past my most recent depressive episode. I've been getting help for roughly a year now. Mostly in the form of psychotherapy and a 'lifechart'. Steering clear of meds for the time being.

DevonTexas

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Alcohol only works for like, 2 hours and then I get more depressed. I try working out, biking, running with my dogs, cooking, making a new playlist and cranking it throughout the house. Connecting with friends helps to. Bad times are inevitable, but so are good times. :)

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Let's see now. They say, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." So let's try: When life is shitty, make shit sandwiches! No, that doesn't work. How about: When life is shitty, wipe your arse! Hmm; not much positive encouragement in that. Try again: When life is shitty, eat shit and die! No, that's definitely wrong. Well, it looks as though there are no bromides to deal with shittiness.

Let's see now. They say, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." So let's try: When life is shitty, make shit sandwiches! No, that doesn't work. How about: When life is shitty, wipe your arse! Hmm; not much positive encouragement in that. Try again: When life is shitty, eat shit and die! No, that's definitely wrong. Well, it looks as though there are no bromides to deal with shittiness.
Patchos likes this. :yup:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Haven't figured this one out, unfortunately. Nothing seems to work very well for me.

Have never been able to distract or fool myself so to my own conceit. I've even read the book by the Dalai Lama regarding Happiness that Speedo Guy recommended to me.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to say this thread caught my attention. This past year I took over a dept and while I clearly had the skills there was a woman who thought she should receive the job. She feels this way as she believes herself superior to all and also because she has been there longer. However, she is negative and rubs people wrong. The difference in pay is 75 bucks a month. She has made my life hell. Now she has been doing this crazy shit forever but it seems heavily focused on me now. Once she started screaming in a meeting at me and then told the boss I threatened her...I decided a letter of complaint was in order. The entire department who witnessed the scene backed me by the way. The job is following due process and I had to write a second letter because she wouldn't stop. It was investigated and she is going to be found 100% at fault but I don't know what will happen with it. In my field it is very hard to fire someone. I have lost sleep all year and have been so blue at times. Forgive the long explanation please. So every time I feel bad at work I choose not to be like her and get negative. My partner and I talk about it, laugh about it, try a new place to eat, and I even make food to take into work for everyone. The angle is for me...instead of pulling back...reinvest. It has been hard...very hard....but I believe it is the way to go.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

:biggrin1: sure there is ......... plant roses

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw that show in Tijuana!

Wasn't that the place where Kenny went after he was run over by a tour bus?

Friends, I have to tell you that last night I received a phone call from beyond the grave. It was our departed friend, Kenny! Calling from the depths of hell! And he described what hell is like in horrid detail. He said that in hell, the smell is awful. He said that in hell, everyone speaks Spanish. . . . He said there is water in hell, but if you drink it you pee blood out your ass for seven hours! . . . And perhaps worst of all, in hell, there are dozens and dozens of little trinket stores! But they all have the same little trinkets in them!​

(Season 4, "Probably")

COMountainGuy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good movies, good books, exercise, do something fun with friends.

I never found that the internet made me happy. I actually consider it a bad habit if too much time is spent on it.