How well do you know your sexuality?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Ditto, but i'd like to add that i've learned as much or more about my sexuality through relationships rather than singular or plural experiences.

Ditto :smile:, but these relationships can be primarily sexual for me, and are. It actually depressed me that I couldn't find a partner who was as inquisitive as me.

I can't find a good way to describe what I want to say next, perhaps something about expectation to find everything you want in one person. I have come not to, but it doesn't diminish either my love or anything else for partners, but i imagine many would think that it should affect their opinion of me. But in essence, we are all just looking for the same thing, our needs being met and happiness.

Perhaps being polyamorous is as real an orientation as any other. I don't expect anyone to be all things, but stll greatly enjoy what they are.

I'm still a work in progress. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the responses. I am greatly enjoying this thread.

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To be honest sexual relations and social affections in animals close to us don't differ too much, so to say that there is a black and white sexuality is almost naive just from a naturalist stance. No, I lack a vagina, I'll go away now. :frown1:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Perhaps being polyamorous is as real an orientation as any other

That's a great observation Drift.

I'm not inclined to polyamory, but I found that out through trying various types of casual relationships first to see if any of it worked for me. I wanted to make an informed decision.

Like others have said, learning about my sexuality has been a process and I'm happy to say an enjoyable one at that. I probably got a slow start though due to health issues during my teen years which required medication that thwarted any sort of burgeoning drive I had at that time (I make up for it now though).

Last edited:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Perhaps being polyamorous is as real an orientation as any other. I don't expect anyone to be all things, but stll greatly enjoy what they are.

Thanks for all the responses. I am greatly enjoying this thread.

I have been discovering this to be true, drifterwood. Monogamy is a way of shielding ourselves from the most deep levels of acceptance of the beauty of every person we meet, and also a way of sequestering our material goods from the unscrupulous.

Those who 'stray' love to say monogamy is not natural to humans, but it often is. All depends on the individual.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ditto :smile:, but these relationships can be primarily sexual for me, and are. It actually depressed me that I couldn't find a partner who was as inquisitive as me.
Inquisitive in general or about the things that interest you? :wink:

I can't find a good way to describe what I want to say next, perhaps something about expectation to find everything you want in one person. I have come not to, but it doesn't diminish either my love or anything else for partners, but i imagine many would think that it should affect their opinion of me. But in essence, we are all just looking for the same thing, our needs being met and happiness.

Unrealistic expectations are often the result of not knowing ourselves (or admitting our needs/wants) and usually backfire and we're left wondering why we're unhappy with ourselves in a relationship. That's why knowing what you want/need is so important. It's unfair to expect partner/s to play guessing games and fill in the spaces. That's our job not theirs.

Perhaps being polyamorous is as real an orientation as any other.
I think you're right.

We all are. :smile:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Generally i have no idea what my sexuality is. One minute i can be totally horny for a man and then see a beautiful woman and my imagination starts wondering, which leaves me constantly questioning where that leaves me. Would i be intimate with a woman, well i sure do fantasize about it but im not certain if i could ever act on the urge or desire.

And my sexuality and sexual boundaries, well they are a whole other lot of mysteries. Things i never considered i have done and and loved. I mean as a little girl you never picture yourself being tied up and spanked, but when it happens and pushes the boundaries you enjoy every second of it.

So to shorten things up, for me, i cont think my sexuality will ever be set in stone. I like the idea of not labeling myself as one thing and i like that it leaves me and the boundaries open to new experiences.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My gut feel is that many women don't know themselves very well at all.

This forum may not be indicative, so don't take that personally, and certainly don't take this as a relative comparison to men.

I'd say a lot of posts on this forum WOULD be indicative of just how clueless some women are about their sexuality and how their body works.

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Orientation:
n.
  • The act of orienting or the state of being oriented. An adjustment or adaptation to a new environment, situation, custom, or set of ideas.
Are you done proving yourself wrong?

E: I figure I'll hold your hand.

An orientation is a solidified change that deals specifically with one aspect of life. Since relationships are not solidified changes, nor are there statuses ( else being single would be an orientation, as would being married, being in an open relationship, being in a closed relationship, being with more than one partner, being with only one partner, oscillating relationship status, etc. ) we can note very easily that due to their liquidity that they are indeed "states of being".

Last edited:

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've found out a lot of the technical before being actually active sexually. However, it was within long-term monogamous relationships that I was actually able to experiment and become really aware of my likes and dislikes.

That said, I'm very open within my relationships (for better or worse). If a man can't handle honesty within a strong, sexual woman, then he's missing out on an amazing adventure.

squirtsalot

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
For me, it took many years to realize just what a sexual being I am. It wasn't until after I had my children that I really was comfortable with my body and with others seeing my body without making me feel self-conscious.

After that sex got better between my husband and I, but within a few years I found I was not getting what I wanted or needed from him. Of course there was more wrong with the marriage than not enough sex for me. It was a long time before I had the courage to leave.

Once I gave myself permission to look for something that made me happy, it was like something awakened inside. My inner nympho if you want to call it that.

So when I meet someone now, I have no problem being very open about what turns me on and what I want from a man. My answer to your question is that it is a journey, a continuing work in progress, and something that I think comes with age, experience and the ability to accept yourself and your desires, sexual or otherwise.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Are you done proving yourself wrong?

E: I figure I'll hold your hand.

An orientation is a solidified change that deals specifically with one aspect of life. Since relationships are not solidified changes, nor are there statuses ( else being single would be an orientation, as would being married, being in an open relationship, being in a closed relationship, being with more than one partner, being with only one partner, oscillating relationship status, etc. ) we can note very easily that due to their liquidity that they are indeed "states of being".

You've missed the entire point of this thread but that's OK.

*pats you on the head*