popular one
athletic
prom king/queen
nerd
quiet
class clown
geeky
etc.

Personally I was the quiet nerd one of the group. But if I got pissed "it was on." I also played sports, but mostly quiet.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
High School goes back so far for me, I can't really remember!     ;D

I think I could correctly say I was (somewhat) popular--or, should I just say "likeable" ?

Very, VERY quiet and mostly shy overall, though---sometimes a sense of humor would come forward and I could get the class to laugh!   (I just loved those moments, too!) 'Probably would have been great on the stage!  (At least, some have told me that!) Seems contradictory to me, --someone quiet and shy yet destined for the theatre? Well, we have many success stories just that way! -- So, I often have to wonder.

I was not athletically-minded, but instead VERY "geeky" and "nerdy" as I would get totally absorbed into studying. I managed to keep a good grade-point average.

--Not sure "geeky" and "nerdy" were even recognized descriptive terms back then! I recall something more
like "B O R I N G"  for someone like me.

hungcuriousNC: My high school days are hard to describe. I feel that I was in the A-crowd, but I also feel that I was part of the B-crowd (kids that were not into the things that made you popular or they got picked on). I held parties at my house and all the popular kids would come. I also got picked on too for "being gay" before I came out.

This is a good subject for me b/c it's been on my mind a lot lately too. I hung out with the popular people, but they were also sketchy. When I came out of the closet my senior year, it was pure hell for me. Especially for back in '95 when being gay wasn't cool. By '97 you were popular for just being gay. By '99 it didn't matter. I didn't feel like I identified with anyone at the school.

I graduated in '95 and my ten year reunion is coming up next year. The only person I really keep in touch with was a girl that everyone picked on or didn't really hang out with. She has proven to be the purest, and best friend you could ever ask for. But I'm torn on the reunion thing.... do I go and see the people who were friends to me then or do I let it all pass me by since I really hated HS anyway? It's kind of like the Romie and Michelle thing.... Do I go to show how much I've succeeded? Is this what the past decade has boiled down to? Proving where I went and how I got there?

Also, I was really mean to my best friend in HS and now he's not spoken to me in over 8 years. How do I mend that situation? (he's in Denver, CO while I'm in NC and I have no way to find him... and believe me, I've tried and I've tried to get the message to him that I'm sorry and I've changed) It ended up that he was gay too and I think we could have helped each other with going through the things you go through.

I was in the band, art club, and PACE Art (for the talented students). Over all though, my HS memories are tainted with things I'd rather forget and move on from the trauma. It's the bitter sweet that you don't forget. I feel that I was close to a lot of people, but I moved away shortly after graduation and haven't had much contact with any of my fellow classmates. What to do?

bblumbee: I was in the popular group. I was the captain of the cheerleading squad, the prom queen, was homecoming queen and also held another title while in high school. Consequently, I was also the valedictorian of my class.

wvalady1968: Not in the "A" group.
Quiet
Brain
Clown
Depending on the day.
:D

tomarctus: I was quiet and bored. Couldn't wait to graduate. I was also openly gay ever since Jr. High [Middle School]. I propositioned all the hot guys, never got hassled, but always got turned down :(. Never kept me from trying, though. :)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was the Jock With A Brain. I was good in sports, especially swimming and wrestling, but also had good grades ... I was my class's salutatorian. I was offered both athletic and academic scholarships to college. I was outgoing (still am) and always seemed to have a crowd of friends around me (still do), but I needed my quiet time as well.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I kept to myself in high school. I had known the same set of peers for many, many years now, since we had all went to elementary and middle school together, and I think I matured a little too fast, which meant I wasn't into the bullshit and the pettiness that really manifest themselves at that age.

I was most known for my book smarts, but I did what I could to fit in socially as best as possible. I was in a lot of clubs, though I only really participated in the drama club, the Octagon Club, and volunteered myself for some fundraising. I slowly emerged into a class clown type.

It was way more fun shooting down the popular kids who thought of themselves as incredibly self-important. It got even more fun in college. :)

Anon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i had some 'cool' friends but i mostly hung out with geeks. I myself am kinda of geeky, can be funny if other people are funny around me. I am also very shy and hate being the centre of attention, i always blush :-[

trickyasafox: i was the athletic popular one in my school.
i was never a fighter, im almost 20 and still have never been in a fight. i just dont see a point to it.

hey big whopper what weight class did u wrestle? i was a 275 state qualifyer outta new york its always nice to hear from other people in a shrinkin sport :p

in college, kinda brainy jock football player.

grnman

Legendary Member
Media
Interesting question.

I was mostly shy, and very self conscience of my size. As a boy I had gotten teased, and felt abnormal. Being very well hung is certainly unusual, but to think of oneself as abnormal in a freaky way was harmful. I had a few good friends, but didn't mix with the popular crowd.

Once the rumors got out about my size I felt more self conscience like the other students were trying to see if they could "see" anything down there. It was probably mostly in my head, but it felt real. There were curiosity seekers, which at times made me feel more like a circus exhibit, given my state of mind then.

When I did try to be sexual with a girl it didn't go well, and girls sort of kept away from me. I had overheard my name mentioned as the pain giver. I was inexperienced, and so was the girl. I didn't mean to hurt her. Perhaps other here had similar first experience.

Ok, this isn't supposed to be a sob story, but I didn't like junior high or high school much. Everything changed when I went to college. Clean slate, more maturity, etc.

Anyway, generally quiet and reserved in high school.

Reactions: B_er

FieldRatt9: I was in the "cool" crowd but it was difficult because I was also in ROTC. Some of my friends didn't think that was too cool. 8)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=trickyasafox link=board=meetgreet;num=1074278523;start=0#14 date=01/17/04 at 16:45:31] hey big whopper what weight class did u wrestle? [/quote]

In high school I started out as a featherweight, but was a lightweight by the time I reached my senior year. I beefed up a bit in the summer before my freshman year in college and wrestled as a welterweight.

bblumbee: We have lots of smart guys and jocks in our midst. We also have lots of shy, timid guys, too. Well, maybe NOT so timid anymore! LOL :eek:

norseman: Anyone realize that this thread is also running under the Etc. category?
Oh well, I'll post the same reply here as I did there.....

Ah geez, it was all so long ago.  Let me see if I can remember....

Yup, I was a total brainiac and nerd.  I even played in the band and was a local officer of the National Honor Society.  Not particularly popular or unpopular, but certainly visible.  Very naive.  Hardly dated at all and had not a clue as to what my oversized dick was for.

Having had several decades to reflect on all that and see where it all got me, I find I've fared quite well.  Class reunions are real ego boosters.  It's amazing how fat the jocks got and how quickly the hippest crowd got tied down with marriage and kids. Most of them are grandparents now  (nothing wrong with families and kids, but what's the hurry ?)  

It's amazing how the things that were so important and life-defining in high school fade away in the ensuing years.

Norse