How Would You Feel If Your Boyfriend/husband Told You He Was Bi?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I get where you're coming from, and that thread is definitely cringey, but isn't your take here a bit dismissive to bisexual people who aren't into those toxic relationships considering many have nothing to do with the those lifestyles displayed in that one little toxic social bubble of a thread on a relatively obscure internet sex forum?
There are many threads like that. There have been many threads that turned into that. Is Craig's List obscure? The M4M personals used to be just like that. I used to sit quietly near "the brambles" in Central Park. I saw a lot of wedding rings disappear into the darkness. I doubt very much that illegal hookups with strangers in the park occur between people whose spouses are aware of the activity. Why invite the extra risk if everything is above board? I mean, I also saw some wedding band tanlines at predominantly gay bars, and pretended not to see a lot of things whenever I used the men's room because someone was taking too long in the ladies'. What seems like an insignificant and obscure population to you seems ubiquitous and substantial to me.

I know there are bisexual men who are capable of fidelity. I have a close friend who fits that description. I am bisexual and prefer monogamy. But I've done my time with men who are not heterosexual. I've been through too much, and I've seen enough. I wouldn't set myself up for disappointment like that ever again.

I belong to a support group for people in mixed-orientation marriages. Every member has their own personal nightmare and shitshow through which they have struggled to cope. Most have been subjected to cheating and abuse. I haven't. My husband doesn't have to cheat. He has carte blanche to explore whatever he wants. I would not set myself up for this life a second time. I would not have chosen my husband if I had all the facts in the beginning. He is still my favorite person on Earth, but I would have made different choices with different information.

At this point, I am only comfortable having sexual relationships with heterosexual men who do not harbor any sexual curiosity about other men. Once upon a time, I would have been willing to explore that curiosity with a man, or agree that he was free to explore that curiosity or same-sex desire on his own. My experiences and observations have erased that willingness. Your mileage may vary.

Brianne_24

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Again, it’s based on my experience.

I have not had good experiences with bisexual men. And reading that thread makes me think twice. This site isn’t quite as obscure as you might think.

Personally, I would expect my partner to disclose their sexual orientation to me prior to any commitment. I don’t doubt that people of any orientation can be monogamous - I’m just saying, my experience with bisexual men has made me a little gun-shy with them.

There are many threads like that. There have been many threads that turned into that. Is Craig's List obscure? The M4M personals used to be just like that. I used to sit quietly near "the brambles" in Central Park. I saw a lot of wedding rings disappear into the darkness. I doubt very much that illegal hookups with strangers in the park occur between people whose spouses are aware of the activity. Why invite the extra risk if everything is above board? I mean, I also saw some wedding band tanlines at predominantly gay bars, and pretended not to see a lot of things whenever I used the men's room because someone was taking too long in the ladies'. What seems like an insignificant and obscure population to you seems ubiquitous and substantial to me.

I know there are bisexual men who are capable of fidelity. I have a close friend who fits that description. I am bisexual and prefer monogamy. But I've done my time with men who are not heterosexual. I've been through too much, and I've seen enough. I wouldn't set myself up for disappointment like that ever again.

I belong to a support group for people in mixed-orientation marriages. Every member has their own personal nightmare and shitshow through which they have struggled to cope. Most have been subjected to cheating and abuse. I haven't. My husband doesn't have to cheat. He has carte blanche to explore whatever he wants. I would not set myself up for this life a second time. I would not have chosen my husband if I had all the facts in the beginning. He is still my favorite person on Earth, but I would have made different choices with different information.

At this point, I am only comfortable having sexual relationships with heterosexual men who do not harbor any sexual curiosity about other men. Once upon a time, I would have been willing to explore that curiosity with a man, or agree that he was free to explore that curiosity or same-sex desire on his own. My experiences and observations have erased that willingness. Your mileage may vary.

So it sounds like you're both saying due to negative personal experiences (and likely some sexual preferences if we're being honest) you tend to gravitate towards heterosexual men? I completely understand this, since it just means you're heterosexual, or if nothing else are more comfortable dating more masculine men when you date men, which is what it is and doesn't hurt anyone. Also I'm sorry you had to go through the negative experiences you had when dating the toxic bisexual men you encountered.

I just feel it becomes cringey once anyone starts using their subjective experiences, examples of toxic users who happen to identify as bisexual on this social bubble of an internet messageboard, your immediate environment offline, etc as quantitative evidence that bisexual men are inherently not worth dating due to their bisexuality, as though the toxic prominent members on this site are indicative of everyone who is bisexual.

It just feels like groupthink a bit more than I am comfortable tbh and ultimately, isn't it more truthful to own up to having a harmless preference for being more sexually attracted to more hetero-leaning men (and against toxic men in general) without flirting with claims that bisexual men aren't worth dating because they're inherently more likely to be toxic, cheat or be less capable of satisfying women or whatever?

Because the second one doesn't seem like a very sound claim to me, however despite how some of the points about not wanting to hook up with bisexual men were expressed ITT, it seems you're both coming from the first more than the second one, yes?

Reactions: Voltaire

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cringey? Your whole post is awkward as fuck, Yo.

I just feel it becomes cringey once anyone starts using their subjective experiences, examples of toxic users who happen to identify as bisexual on this social bubble of an internet messageboard, your immediate environment offline, etc as quantitative evidence that bisexual men are inherently not worth dating due to their bisexuality, as though the toxic prominent members on this site are indicative of everyone who is bisexual.

This is the exact opposite of what either of us wrote. You are projecting. First of all, I am not heterosexual. I also never even suggested any preference regarding a level of masculinity I prefer in a partner or playmate.

I recognize in others (and in myself) a blend, and even sometimes, a balance of masculine and feminine energies. While I do revel in the maleness and masculinity-forward energy (when present) of the men I care about, I do not shun that which is feminine (to my perception) about them. I do not even actively, or consciously assign gendered categories to what they say, do, or project beyond the very obvious fact that a man has said or done whatever thing. Thinking about it as a mental exercise right now, I cannot easily even make such a distinction consciously.

For one thing, the concepts of masculine and feminine are just social constructs, the boundaries between which become blurrier every day. So in this mental exercise, if I think about my little brother, I get tripped up right away. One might perceive my brother's scrappy nature as masculine, because of the raw physicality associated. But I know how his observations of me colored his perception and morals regarsing getting into fights. One day, after I took him to see a movie he says has been his favorite ever since, he witnessed me becoming aggressive with a much larger guy. He observed that inwas willing to deliver a wholesale whooping, or take whatever lumps I had coming to me. (What he forgets is that I saw that guy do something sneaky and despicable to an old man, and I was prepared to defend that elder's dignity and honor, and that I was a flighty, stupid 18 year-old.) Anyway, he saw me willing to fight over disrespect, and became willing to fight over disrespect too. Now, is that a masculine trait because of the raw physicality involved? Or is it feminine because at its core, the goal of that kind of violence is to nurture, protect, and care for a wizened old granddaddy in the community? When he adopts this attitude from his sister, is that an example of him playing to his feminine side by emulating a woman he admires? Is it inherently masculine because the attitude is now his, and he has become a grown man? Is it just the natural order of things that he, the youngest of 11 siblings, develops his personality through our examples of how to be first, one of the big kids, and later, how to adult? I didn't know his mother well, and he never met mine. Were his mother's principles similar to mine? I didn't know our father well. Was he prone to romantic notions and foolhardy battles over disrespecting senior citizens? How do the answers to these questions, whatever they are, aid in the determination of the masculinity or femininity of the trait?

Monkeywrench: My mother was always interested in absolutely any excuse to throw hands. Is that her masculine energy? I never have liked violence. I was willing to have a fist fight with that guy, but that wasn't my intention. I confronted him about his foul (ageist? racist?) behavior, and wanted only that he put trash he'd hidden among an old Chinese guy's parcels into the proper waste receptacle. When he refused, I grappled with him, opened his backpack, and returned his fucking garbage to him. Afterwards, I retreated to the other end of the subway platform, to keep my little brother and his friend safe from retaliation. The whole act, to my perception, was the flexing of every ounce of my femininity. So. Os it feminine when my brother immitates me? I have no idea. I only know if any strange man fucks with me in his presence, Baby Bro will put them down with one punch. That's how he rolls. Society says punching people is masculine. All I know is the women in my family are not even remotely about tolerating gross disrespect.

So, if I cannot readily identify that which is masculine and feminine when exhibited by so intimate an associate as my only, and beloved brother, how can I claim to consciously identify it in men I do not know nearly as well?

I do not give one limp shit about how masculine or feminine my partners and playmates are, or may be perceived to be. Yesterday was my husband's birthday. I gave him a sewing machine. He usually borrows mine, but mine isn't heavy-duty enough to handle his bookbinding hobby. His is. He is the same kind of man as when I married him a decade ago. I can't imagine that any woman has ever been more attracted to a man than I was to my husband when I married him. I don't need him to be either more or less feminine. I need him to have understood his sexuality BEFORE asking me to marry him, BEFORE I unwittingly agreed to live in his closet. The nature of our mixed-orientation marriage? I'm bisexual. He's gay (and in denial). You haven't the hint, of a whisper, of a rumor of an idea what you are talking about. On this website, my life is an open book. There is no need for you to make wild assumptions. Read the forum!

You know what offends me most? When you make the laughable assertion that my real problem with bisexual men is that I prefer more masculinity, YOU are disrespecting ALL bisexual men, and using (internalized?) misogyny to do it! You are defining bisexual men as inherently unmasculine. Such characterization of non-heteronormative men historically (though perhaps not from you) has its roots in the misogynistic idea that men and manliness are superior to women and womanliness.

At last, my second point. There is no way in this life, or the next, I would EVER deign to speak for other women. I'll add here that I don't appreciate your attempts to speak for me either. You and anyone else who would like to try, can cut it out, or fuck right off with that. Therefore, any implication that I would suggest that anyone else base their decisions regarding whom to date, whom to fuck, and whom to leave alone, on my observations and experiences, is purely a construct of, and projection from your mind. You need to own that which is yours. I will continue to own what is mine.

Your refusal to acknowledge the validity of my observations far beyond this website's reach is almost as interesting to me as it is disappointing. My observations include my own experiences, the reported experiences of the tens of thousands of members of my international, multi-cultural support group for the "straight" spouses in mixed-orientation marriages, personal ads posted on every dating and hook-up site where men seek sexual encounters with other men, public venues where men seeking men convene, and my more than a decade as a phone sex operator. But sure. Keep framing it as limited to one thread (it's actually scores of them) on an obscure website (that has been featured on Cracked, BBC channel 4, and elsewhere). If you want to consider two women living in separate countries, belonging to separate generations, having completely dissimilar experiences, but happening to have drawn similar conclusions about what choices to make for themselves (and not anybody else) Groupthink, fine. But I see you, and get the distinct impression that every ridiculous accusation and flawed assertion is a hysterical reflex born from insecurity, fear and, perhaps, outrage because of prejudice you've endured and observed as a pansexual. If I'm not off the mark, I would like to add that I am saddened you were subjected to anything like that.

Do you know what I blame for my observations and experiences regarding bisexual men? I blame homophobia, and the ongoing toxic social trend of bi-erasure. I blame the attitude that heterosexual men are the manliest, most masculine, and best. These are the issues that create liars. Liars build closets and force themselves to live in them. The same issues cause others to shield themselves behind layers of denial. These people are not liars; they are traumatized, and afraid to know themselves.

I know myself. I'm not extremely insecure, but I have been traumatized personally, and I have observed much that reinforces my impressions and concerns from my experiences. I would never again entertain the possibility of a sexual relationship with any man who was not heterosexual. Not "hetero-leaning". Heterosexual. The sole exception is one man who has been among my closest friends for 21 years. Anyone else who was not heterosexual would trigger every single one of my insecurities. Why would I subject myself to that? Your permission to properly maintain my own sanity is neither required, nor desired.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cringey? Your whole post is awkward as fuck, Yo.

This is the exact opposite of what either of us wrote. You are projecting. First of all, I am not heterosexual. I also never even suggested any preference regarding a level of masculinity I prefer in a partner or playmate.

TL;DR:
@Brianne_24

You don't know me at all. You are invited to explore my post history before making any further erroneous assumptions.

I do not belive you and I have identical perspectives on masculinity and femininity. I appreciate the masculinity AND femininity in all of my partners and playmates.

It is innacurate to say I am only attracted to more masculine men. I'm not even only attracted to men. I'm not heterosexual. Again, you do not know me.

I never suggested that anyone else has to draw the conclusions I have, nor make the decisions I have. I try never to speak for others. I'm offended that you are trying to speak for me. That shit is condescending as all get-out.

I am also offended by your implications that masculinity is superior to femininity, via the suggestion that bisexual men are inherently less masculine than heterosexual men. It is not; they are not. Problematic as fuck, Yo.

The fact that other people agree with each other, especially when they've arrived at their conclusions through very different journeys, but they do not agree with you, is not the definition of Groupthink.

I suspect you have endured bigotry against your pansexuality, either directly, or through exposure to hetero-normative bullshit. That sucks. You do not deserve that. It doesn't mean you get to project nonsense onto me. Cut it out.

This website is not obscure. It has been featured multiple times on BBC channel 4, and in several online publications. Traffic here is outrageous. Also, it is not one thread like that. There are scores of them.

My observations are not limited to this website. Tens of thousands of discrete testimonies in my support group. Over a decade as a phone sex op. Every hook-up site for men seeking men. Watching the activity at a well-known cruising spot in NYC's Central Park. Many entertainment venues where men seek men. My own personal experiences. You don't get to invalidate my experience. I won't let you. You may continie to ignore them since you do not like how poorly they reflect upon your argument. I cannot stop you.

What few insecurities I have would be triggered by any kind of sexual relationship with a man who is not totally heterosexual. So, I'm not gonna fuck them. At all. I'm allowed to protect my own sanity. I am.

I wrote this for you so it would be extremely easy to find my main points. There are relevant details in the long version, but I totally understand if nobody wants to wade through all of that.

Brianne_24

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
@AlteredEgo

I apologize if I misunderstood where you were coming from with your posts ITT. It seems like you might be experiencing some pain right now because of many reasons, and if my comments have picked at wounds I am sorry.

Regarding your comments about masculine or feminine, I agree that it's difficult to define and you're correct that we're to some extent talking about social constructs when it comes to gender, though there can be a biological basis for it when it comes to sex and that was mainly what I was pointing out.

Still, how it's defined varies from culture to culture and region to region. So to clarify I'm mainly speaking from my experience with how patriarchal vs matriarchal and masculine vs feminine qualities are perceived here in the united states. While it's still ethereal, there are times when it is not. If you see Idris Elba or Brad Pitt in a movie, for example..it's not unreasonable to think "now THAT is a man". What someone considers to be an attractive masculine man is semantic and I think a lot of it comes down to liking what you like, and sensitive men who appear to have more grit and masculine energy like that compared to, say, a more feminine-appearing man is a preference that many have and nothing to be ashamed of imo. Same for when the opposite is true.

So there's a difference between implying that masculine is better than feminine vs pointing out harmless dating preferences that exist in society and I think it's pretty clear in my content ITT that I'm saying the latter. Some men for example would NEVER be into a gay relationship. Just not in the cards, because they're straight. I can respect that, so long as it's genuinely what the person wants and not based on homophobia or insecurities.

Also do I consider bisexual men to be more inherently feminine? No. However I acknowledge there's often a socially constructed perception/social belief that bisexual men (who aren't androgynous or metrosexual-appearing) are inherently more feminine than a straight guy because of what they enjoy in the bedroom. We know this isn't a sound way of looking at bisexuality, but often it's a perception that anyone who's gender or sex non-conforming has to contend with. I'm glad we're on the same page and realize this.

But getting back to what I was mostly reacting to in this thread, regardless of any personal traumas that might lead one to have this view, I can't agree with any assertion that bisexual men as a whole are more likely to be less faithful, engage in sketchy or toxic behavior, are less worthy as partners. While I'm not sure if you or LaFemme actually are all in on making that claim, it did sound just a bit like you were saying things that reinforce the talking points of people who do. These are myths that contribute to social misunderstanding about bisexuality and have been debunked so I see no need to keep the trend going, and is why I feel like using reasoning based on honesty of having a subjective preference for dating straight men over bisexual men to reinforce your points is far more sound than relying on negative personal experiences and applying them to make a point that is applied beyond that.

However, reading your previous posts it seems it's still possible I misunderstood where you were coming from, despite saying things that sounded a bit like you were reinforcing those myths. If it does come down to mostly personal experience, I get that and can empathize with what you went through, but even though I will not say anything to discredit what you've experienced and seen, ultimately I'm almost always inclined to side with up to date academic research when possible over personal experience when drawing conclusions about anything, so I do.

Reactions: hunghorse30

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
As someone who has chafed at “ bisexual is a long way to say slut,” I get what you are getting at, Brianne_24.

But, what has been said in this thread, started by the question if bisexuality would impact a relationship.

And we honestly answered the question.
With a range of lived experiences.

Your earnest advocacy is out of place in this thread.
Feel free to start one on the societal perceptions of bi men.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
As someone who has chafed at “ bisexual is a long way to say slut,” I get what you are getting at, Brianne_24.

But, what has been said in this thread, started by the question if bisexuality would impact a relationship.

And we honestly answered the question.
With a range of lived experiences.

Your earnest advocacy is out of place in this thread.
Feel free to start one on the societal perceptions of bi men.
Exactly. And ditto to everything @AlteredEgo said.

Finding out about my significant other’s bisexuality after commitment would affect the relationship based on my experience.

I am not 100% heterosexual. But I am 100% monogamous. I expect the same. You also don’t know what my experiences are in the gender queer community. Perhaps spare your pedantic lectures for those who request them.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Look, @Brianne_24 . I am not open to fucking bisexual men. I do not have to be. My experiences are more important to me than whatever contrary evidence some internet stranger claims exists. My experiences are so important to informing my decisions that, in this case, I haven't even tried to find contradicting evidence. I do not need it. Excluding bisexual men from my selection of playmates has not hampered my ability to get laid. Being sexually and romantically open to non-heterosexual men has yielded me negative consequences you cannot fathom. I have received uncountable impressions that avoiding sexual and romantic involvement with bisexual men can spare me a set of specific problems, similar to, and worse than, those problems I have had to navigate in my marriage to a gay man. Tens of thousands. I have personally experienced ONE impression to the contrary. And you want me to consider science? Do you have a study with a larger sample size than tens of thousands of impressions? I doubt you do. Moreover, science says the vagina has absolutely no innervation and sensation above the inferior 20%. But my personal experience is that I can feel pressure and stretching at the most superior region of my vagina, and throughout, and that stimulation of my anterior fornix leads to explosive orgasm. Meanwhile, science found a brand new muscle in the knee three years ago. I'm going to unapologetically trust what my life has shown me. You trust whatever makes you confident.

I'm not saying that bisexual men are inherently deceitful, inauthentic, and more prone to infidelity. I'm not saying bisexual men are inherently unsure of their sexual orientation. I am saying I have seen so many who exhibit those traits and so few who do not, that since I would prefer not to repeat my mistakes, I have withdrawn my availability to men who are not confident that they are completely heterosexual. I have decided that whether being open to bisexual men increases the likelihood of experiencing certain outcomes by only a little, or a lot, the fact that completely eliminating them from my pool does almost completely remove the possibility that I will choose another man who turns out to not actually be attracted do women after all. This is a personal choice. I do not need your help making it. I do not need your help expressing it. I'm a grown-up.

You are new here. You might consider finding out whom you are addressing before you continue to condescend to us. To be clear, your posts continue to come across to me as condescending. It is not just this thread. Look at the tone of your very first post on this website. Do you even see how hostile the tone was? I'm MORE than okay with hostile posts here. But from a stranger? Lady, nobody here knows you. Are you actually interested in being a part of this community or not? Do you know what @LaFemme's career has been? It's scattered into her post history. She has spent her life protecting vulnerable segments of the population. You are barking up the wrong tree. I'm just saying, when I get to the ocean, I walk in slowly from the shore. I do not run to the end of the fishing pier and plunge directly into deep water. You're free to do this your way, for sure. But the consequences might include acrimony.

Brianne_24

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
If anyone's decision here to not date bi men is based on personal experiences and not sexual preference, or if it is based on both, you're obviously entitled to feel the way you feel and shouldn't be shamed or condescended for it. That said, my personal experience differs and the article w/ sources I provided in my message preceding this debunks the notion that those subjective experiences are anything more than that. But ultimately like anyone else you like what you like, and I get that many of you ITT have your reasons for feeling the way you do about it so I'll leave it at that.

D

deleted848353

If anyone's decision here to not date bi men is based on personal experiences and not sexual preference, or if it is based on both, you're obviously entitled to feel the way you feel and shouldn't be shamed or condescended for it. That said, my personal experience differs and the article w/ sources I provided in my message preceding this debunks the notion that those subjective experiences are anything more than that. But ultimately like anyone else you like what you like, and I get that many of you ITT have your reasons for feeling the way you do about it so I'll leave it at that.

Can you be anymore fucking condescending

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
and the article w/ sources I provided in my message preceding this debunks the notion that those subjective experiences are anything more than that.
Debunks is kind of a strong word. That is not a scholarly source, and of the several sources linked within, only one of those actually leads to an article that finally leads to a scholarly source (a study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal). According to the article, that study found that bisexual men were more likely to contract HIV than heterosexual men, at higher risk for other STI than homosexual men, and less likely than any other men to be tested and treated. This was linked to biphobia among medical practitioners and societally. I did suggest to you that the primary issue is bi-erasure and homophobia, and how some bisexual men have tried to cope with a bi-erasing, homophobic world.

"Researchers have argued that biphobia may explain some MSMW’s HIV testing avoidance, substance use, and high number of sexual partners. For example, because biphobia manifests in beliefs that bisexuality is not a legitimate sexual orientation, MSMW may feel inclined to publicly validate their bisexuality through multiple sexual partnerships with men and women.” -Study author William Jeffries of the Division of HIV/AIDS at the CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, and TB Prevention

Based on the abstract published in 2014, it appears to be secondary research.

Clearly, you and I do not interpret the world the same way. We disagree in how we define masculinity. I do not agree with you that bisexual men are less masculine than other men. Our standards for what qualifies as a useful citation in a given context are clearly different. I think an article primarily about the rejection experienced by bisexual women os not particularly relevant to a discussion about women relating to bisexual men. I do not believe the word "debunked" can apply to an article that presents editorializing as facts, with its only support coming from other loosely supported articles.

I guess we simply have to agree to disagree.

Brianne_24

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
@AlteredEgo So do you have sources that prove the stereotypes about bisexuality mentioned in that article are not based on subjective experiences? I'm open to changing my stance, apologizing for bad takes and evolving on this just like anyone else. I've already accepted that your personal experiences with dating bisexual men are true and have expressed empathy to you. I'm not sure what else you want from me beyond that? Mine have been different and there seems to be more evidence right now that the encounters you've had, truthful as they may be to what you've seen, don't apply to bisexual men as a whole.

So that's why I'm challenging any notions ITT like "I've had bad experiences dating bisexual men so that proves they are not worth dating" and "look at some of the threads on this board as evidence". Again, nobody is out here trying to disprove any of what you've gone through, but ultimately the fact that you've gone through that doesn't mean everyone has and/or that it is useful as reasoning that consequentially gives power to those stereotypes.

It's baffling to me that my skepticism on those notions in controversial, but here we are. Again, if it comes down to personal choice regarding who you want to date based on that, what can I say? That's fair enough as far as I or anyone else should be concerned.

That this even turned into a debate instead of ending there is beyond me. If want to keep going all-in saying "sorry, the things I've seen prove you wrong" while assuming I somehow think bisexual men are inherently less masculine than straight men (I've already explained I'm in agreement that's a perception based on socially constructed gender norms. I've said my peace) I'm not sure what else there is to discuss here. You win I guess?

If you or anyone else had bad experiences with dating bi men that's informed your reason for choosing to swear off dating them, more power to you. But please be aware that attempting to give such personal preferences any social power beyond that potentially contributes to similar arguments made by those who practice biphobia and bi-erasure which contribute to normalizing the perception that men can't be bi without being closet cases, manipulative, etc. It's really weird to me that anyone would want to die on that hill instead of just leaving it at "That is a thing that happens sometimes and happened to me, I'm simply not interested in dating bi men, I prefer to date heterosexual men" and owning it, but ok.

D

deleted848353

@AlteredEgo So do you have sources that prove the stereotypes about bisexuality mentioned in that article are not based on subjective experiences? I'm open to changing my stance, apologizing for bad takes and evolving on this just like anyone else. I've already accepted that your personal experiences with dating bisexual men are true and have expressed empathy to you. I'm not sure what else you want from me beyond that? Mine have been different and there seems to be more evidence right now that the encounters you've had, truthful as they may be to what you've seen, don't apply to bisexual men as a whole.

So that's why I'm challenging any notions ITT like "I've had bad experiences dating bisexual men so that proves they are not worth dating" and "look at some of the threads on this board as evidence". Again, nobody is out here trying to disprove any of what you've gone through, but ultimately the fact that you've gone through that doesn't mean everyone has and/or that it is useful as reasoning that consequentially gives power to those stereotypes.

It's baffling to me that my skepticism on those notions in controversial, but here we are. Again, if it comes down to personal choice regarding who you want to date based on that, what can I say? That's fair enough as far as I or anyone else should be concerned.

That this even turned into a debate instead of ending there is beyond me. If want to keep going all-in saying "sorry, the things I've seen prove you wrong" while assuming I somehow think bisexual men are inherently less masculine than straight men (I've already explained I'm in agreement that's a perception based on socially constructed gender norms. I've said my peace) I'm not sure what else there is to discuss here. You win I guess?

If you or anyone else had bad experiences with dating bi men that's informed your reason for choosing to swear off dating them, more power to you. But please be aware that attempting to give such personal preferences any social power beyond that potentially contributes to similar arguments made by those who practice biphobia and bi-erasure which contribute to normalizing the perception that men can't be bi without being closet cases, manipulative, etc. It's really weird to me that anyone would want to die on that hill instead of just leaving it at "That is a thing that happens sometimes and happened to me, I'm simply not interested in dating bi men, I prefer to date heterosexual men" and owning it, but ok.

You have been told it's down to fucking preference now go play in a pro bi men thread of your own making

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So do you have sources that prove the stereotypes about bisexuality mentioned in that article are not based on subjective experiences? I'm open to changing my stance,
What are you TALKING about? Are you trolling me, or am I misunderstanding you? YOU are the one who said the article was objective in the first place. My position is that the article is not thoroughly researched and is about bisexual WOMEN, and therefore not relevant to perceptions of bisexual men.

The study I linked to is YOUR source, not mine, and it contradicts your main point. It is secondary research, which means it compiles the peer reviewed research papers of others, and analyzes them all over again in the contect of each other. It finds that as a reaction to biphobia in society and in medicine, bisexual men are more likely to have HIV than heterosexual men, more likely to have other STI than homosexual men, and that this seems to be caused by being statistically more likely to engage in riskier sex practices with a larger number of partners, and simultaneously less likely to submit to testing and medical interventions. Substance abuse was mentioned along with promiscuity as an explanation for the statistics about HIV and other STI.

I cannot give you access to the testimonials in my support group. Access is only granted to the "straight" spouses in mixed-orientation marriages. But there are tens of thousands of members world wide, and they/we have told hundreds of thousands of anecdotes, which I would consider to be distillable down to tens of thousands of unique testimonies. The sample size is larger than most studies on any subject. The sample is not random. To join the group, one has to provide evidence they had a marriage or common-law relationship with a gay, bisexual, pansexual, or transgender partner who was closeted when the commitment was made. One then has to know the group exists, find the local chapter, and be added to the international group. Many members simply participate at the local and regional levels. So, by the time we get to international testimonies, this is very far from random. However, once you get to thousands of people having the same experiences, and drawing the same conclusions, this is no longer what is considered subjective. Otherwise, all studies are also just subjective. Most members are women whose husbands now identify as something other than heterosexual. When one considers that the LGBTQIA+ community is a small percentage of the global population in the first place, and that most of the community does not marry beards, the sample is enormous. The chief complaints are about cheating, emotional abuse, disease exposure or transmission, and embarrassment.

This combined with my observations of married men sucking dicks in the park in the mid to late nineties, sucking and fucking in public bathrooms, pouring their guilty spleens out to me, or telling me about their fantasies, telling me about their cheating, or asking me to provide them with fantasy fodder in which I force them into same sex scenarios, or help facilitate them, my experiences reading personal ads, my experiences reading threads here, and other places, and my own mixed orientation marriage is the filter through which I have drawn my conclusions. These conclusions ARE MINE, and they are for my use. I have never seen any actual evidence that contradicts me. I've seen assertions, but no evidence.

I'm not trying to speak for anyone else. I'm not trying to get anyone else to agree with me. I will leave those endeavors to others. I have simply thought for myself, and defended my process and my boundaries.

If you or anyone else had bad experiences with dating bi men that's informed your reason for choosing to swear off dating them, more power to you. But please be aware that attempting to give such personal preferences any social power beyond that potentially contributes to similar arguments made by those who practice biphobia and bi-erasure which contribute to normalizing the perception that men can't be bi without being closet cases, manipulative, etc.
First of all, I was the first and only poster in this thread to suggest that problematic social attitudes toward gay and bisexual men are to root of closeting, and manipulative behaviors, as well as difficulty some folks have determining their own sexual identities. While trying to contradict me, you are the one who provided evidence supporting my hypothesis.

Your fears That I am attempting to give my "personal preferences any social power beyond that" are you continuing to project your own turmoil onto me. For the umpteenth time: unlike YOU I do not wish to speak for others. That is a habit I consciously and painstakingly broke in my mid-twenties. It was by no means easy, but it was important to ke at the time, and remains a value I try carefully to uphold. A man asked women a question. I answered for myself. @LaFemme answered for herself.
It's really weird to me that anyone would want to die on that hill instead of just leaving it at "That is a thing that happens sometimes and happened to me, I'm simply not interested in dating bi men, I prefer to date heterosexual men" and owning it, but ok.
What exactly is your problem? I specifically wrote that I have seen and lived through some shit, and as a result I will only make myself sexually available to men who are absolutely certain they are heterosexual. Nowhere do I say that what someone else experiences should not inform their decisions. In fact, I was once open to non-heterosexual men, and I have stated this too. I don't have to use your wording. My phrasing is most accurate regarding my perspective.

It's baffling to me that my skepticism on those notions in controversial,
It is not. It is your audacity to tell grown women how to think and how to express those dictated thoughts that is controversial.

I'm not sure what else you want from me beyond that?
Did you not read what I wrote, or did you fail to take it at face value? I already told you what I want from you. I want you to speak for your own self only, and to

agree to disagree.

Brianne_24

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
AlteredEgo, the main issue I have with your argument is when you use the compiled true experiences that you and likeminded women have regarding being in negative relations with "bisexual" men, experiences that I am willing to believe and support you on, that are expressed in a way that sounds maybe more dismissive than you're intending(?).

When you say things like "I've seen no evidence that contradicts my assertion that bi men can't connect with women in close relations that are fulfilling, free of harm, etc" I would say that speaks to a lack of perspective on your part because I definitely have known bi men in caring relationships with bi or straight women, pan, trans, et. To argue that it's impossible means essentially you're saying bi men being with women in a positive context is a thing that can't objectively exist, which is pretty absurd and dismissive. If you can't acknowledge that much, I guess we really do agree to disagree.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
AlteredEgo, the main issue I have with your argument is when you use the compiled true experiences that you and likeminded women have regarding being in negative relations with "bisexual" men, experiences that I am willing to believe and support you on, that are expressed in a way that sounds maybe more dismissive than you're intending(?).

When you say things like "I've seen no evidence that contradicts my assertion that bi men can't connect with women in close relations that are fulfilling, free of harm, etc" I would say that speaks to a lack of perspective on your part because I definitely have known bi men in caring relationships with bi or straight women, pan, trans, et. To argue that it's impossible means essentially you're saying bi men being with women in a positive context is a thing that can't objectively exist, which is pretty absurd and dismissive. If you can't acknowledge that much, I guess we really do agree to disagree.
Jesus wept! Who hurt you? Fuck off already. Sing that refrain to your shrink if you cannot get this song out of your head. I'm done with you projecting your hysterical fears and insecurities onto me and the other women here. I never said any of those things. At all. What I wrote was that what I observed and experienced made me uncomfortable with the liklihood of repeating past missteps and equated to a situation that could only trigger my insecurities. I further stated that since all of that could be sufficiently mitigated by removing a tiny portion of the population from my pool pf candidates. This is a website for literate adults. Literate. Adults.

Last edited: