How would you take the news: early detection of micropenis

fournineteenfiftynine

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Early Detection of Micropenis during Pregnancy

This post is an overview of a study published in 2011 in the "International Journal of Case Reports and Images" , named "Early detection of fetal micropenis after IVF-ICSI".

In this study, the authors describe what is probably the earliest diagnosis of micropenis ever performed. While the condition is usually diagnosed after birth, in this case it was diagnosed when the boy was still in the mother's womb, at the "age" of 15.5 weeks, just before the fourth month of pregnancy. The study emphasizes the importance of ultrasound and its ability to diagnose micropenis and other genital malformations during pregnancy.

Read more: Early Detection of Micropenis during Pregnancy

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

This post is an overview of a study published in 2011 in the "International Journal of Case Reports and Images" , named "Early detection of fetal micropenis after IVF-ICSI".

In this study, the authors describe what is probably the earliest diagnosis of micropenis ever performed. While the condition is usually diagnosed after birth, in this case it was diagnosed when the boy was still in the mother's womb, at the "age" of 15.5 weeks, just before the fourth month of pregnancy. The study emphasizes the importance of ultrasound and its ability to diagnose micropenis and other genital malformations during pregnancy.

AND???????? Bill

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hey Bill, you don't have to sign "Bill" after every post you write. People are well aware of who is posting it when they look at your information on the left. The internet forums are very informal place.

Sincerely,
TG

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

How would I take the news? Abortion and suicide. In whichever order.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Not quite sure of the question.
If it is would I allow safe, tested, reliable treatment, yeah, probably.

But I'm very pragmatic about pregnancy.
I carry not one but two devastating genetic diseases from my people, and one is condemning a child and family to up to five years of painful hell with the end result death. The second is death by 30 or so.

I had genetic testing done. My Kiddo carries both, too My kiddo is free to reproduce outside of the tribe. Adoption is even better.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't know. There are some fairly significant genetic disorders that I would probably be more concerned about. Disorders that seriously impact lifespan, require home care, intellectual capacity, etc
I'm not sure a micro penis would rate highly on my list of concerns. It would be a matter of helping my child with his self esteem.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm disappointed, creeped out, and generally unsettled by the implications of this question even being asked.

That's why I'm just focusing on the concept of how incredible the science behind the ultrasound is rather than the question about finding out about a fetal-micro-peen.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
When I had an ultrasound in pregnancy they were checking to make sure she had no birth defects. Like looking at all 4 chambers of the heart to rule out heart problems. They were checking to make sure she was healthy. I don't see where the size of a fetus's penis has anything to do with the health of a baby. Sure, it might cause problems later (in adulthood) but why diagnose this before the baby is born? To give the parents one more thing to be worried about that is not a huge deal.

When I had my kid I checked for 10 fingers and 10 toes. The size of their genitals was not on my mind.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
This is not a women's issue.

I can't think of a reason this would be a relevant feature to inspect via ultrasound. These ultrasounds are used to look for Down Syndrome, hydrocephalus, heart defects and other conditions that may have an effect on family planning.

The ten fingers/ten toes comment is kind of funny because they can in fact detect things like polydactyly, but unless it comes along with other severe malformations, I doubt it would be justification for abortion, at least medically.

SWIM21

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
When I had an ultrasound in pregnancy they were checking to make sure she had no birth defects. Like looking at all 4 chambers of the heart to rule out heart problems. They were checking to make sure she was healthy. I don't see where the size of a fetus's penis has anything to do with the health of a baby. Sure, it might cause problems later (in adulthood) but why diagnose this before the baby is born? To give the parents one more thing to be worried about that is not a huge deal.

When I had my kid I checked for 10 fingers and 10 toes. The size of their genitals was not on my mind.

While I do agree that the OP's question is a bit out of touch, there are reasons why genital malformations need to be diagnosed before birth. Micropenis can be an outward sign of other genetic and epigenetic defects, such as low prenatal androgen or human growth hormone. These problems can be redressed to a certain degree in infancy with various hormone injections, although it rarely fixes the problem completely.

The real value of prenatal detection is more for researchers who are trying to isolate genetic and epigenetic precursors and possibly develop methods of safely regulating prenatal hormone distribution in the future. Gene therapy may eventually abolish this defect entirely, but before then, the exact precipitants of the defect must be isolated to the point of accurate prediction before the problem ever physically manifests in the fetus.

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

There's a reason they check the fingers and toes. You know what they say about fetuses with big feet, right?

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy