Howard Stern, outta line or speaking the truth?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Nrets, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Nrets

Nrets Member

Howard and Robin discuss the weight of Gabourey Sidibe, the lead woman who played Precious. In very harsh terms they declare that she will never have an opportunity to be a lead in a film again, let alone get another Academy Award nomination. Are they right, or are they simply wrong and mean?

YouTube - Howard Stern vs. Gabourey Sidibe

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I don't think that they were intent on being mean. Howard Stern says things in a way to be controversial about difficult subjects. I don't think it would be impossible for her to have a lead in another film and get another academy award nomination; however she is very limited in her versatility of the types of roles she can be considered for.

3. D_Donald_Trumpet

D_Donald_Trumpet New Member

As far as the having the hollywood "look" she obviously doesn't have it, but last time I checked none of us could see the future, so who knows where she'll go with her career. I didn't watch the film, and don't really care to, but apparently she did a great job, and considering she is getting all these accolades in her first film should count for something. Plus, she could always lose weight and become more of a commodity if her acting skills are up to par. Howard's statements had truth laced in them, but the way he went about addressing them were out of line, but then again it's Howard Stern it's what he does.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I agree with nudey.

I think Howard and Robin are being a bit mean by not bothering to get her name right for half of it then mocking it, though.

5. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    As messed up as it may sound at first hear, Howard is absolutely right. This is her moment in the sun, and after this there will likely be no more, unless someone makes "Precious II".

Lets face it. The girl has limited appeal. And by that I mean, perhaps she can act, but that aspect was secondary at best when the decision was made to cast her. In other words, Halle Berry can act her fine ass off, but she had no shot at playing "Precious" since she is not morbidly obese.

* Halle Berry was used to make a point. I realize there are other factors to consider such as age.

6. Xcuze

Gold Member

Never say never. But with her physicalities it will be hard for her to find great roles from now on. She has an extremely specific look. It worked for her in this film but generally will go against her.

She could lose weight, of course. But she may well be losing the very thing that made her noticeable in the first place.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Brutally honest people delight in being brutal more than they do in being honest. To answer the OP's question, it's possible to tell the truth and be out of line at the same time. There is a grain of truth, a cup of conjecture and a great steaming load of incivility in what Howard and Robin said.

#7 B_Hickboy, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  8. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps but not necessarily. Personally I hate when people pussy foot around trying to say what they're saying without saying it. It is what it is and like it or not (in general, not you in particular) Howard and Robin are entitled to their opinion, and to express it in whatever they wish. Once again, it may be tough to hear for some, but nothing about it is invalid.

The proof in the pudding is in the eating. If they're proven wrong, the girl gets another gig and knocks it out of the park the rest is academic. If not, oh well. Score another one for Howard Stern.

9. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

You're right. That's why I don't listen to Howard Stern. He chooses ugly words to overstate blindingly obvious truths, and deliberately casts his observations in the most negative light he can.

10. Xcuze

Gold Member

Well fuck knows there are enough insipid bullshitters around churning out insincere niceities and phoney predictions about her future.

It's nice to have somebody(anybody) chipping in with a harsh(or brutal) reality check. Most will take the two extreme opinions and settle somewhere inbetween.

11. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    You've got a great point there. I don't understand for the life of me how someone who has been so successful for so long and has become so rich on the way, still manages to harbor such negativity. I understand he has established himself in a certain way, but he does seem to take pleasure in behaving assholishly. I've heard him be funny without that too so I know he is capable. It seems obvious that he chooses to be a dickhead simply because he can.

12. Stretch

Stretch New Member

How do you know that if you don't listen to him?

13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Which is exactly what Howard and his ilk would have you do. It is intellectually slack and dishonest. It's what the media want us all to become.

14. Northland

Gold Member

Impossible to say or prove. Many actors, singers, writers, etc. etc. win a prestigious award and are never heard from again. Is her weight the main issue? To some casting people it will be (pro and con), to others, if she has talent, they'll take that. Then again, maybe she needs to make a pact with the devil (that would help explain Whoopi Goldberg having a long career).

I sincerely hope we haven't seen the last of her.

15. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

They are both right, and mean.

Just because you have an idea that is 'right', doesn't mean that it must be voiced. Particularly when it's an idea that anyone could have come up with.

I agree with those who said she'll have a hard time getting additional acting work. Really think that the best thing she could do with the $$ that comes her way from her Oscar fame is get some professional help (medical, dietary, or fitness training) in losing weight. Maybe that won't mean she gets more acting work. But for the sake of her health alone, that should be her #1 priority.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I used to really dislike Howard Stern and I had a chance to meet him and chat briefly at a fund raiser for The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatirc Aids Foundation. He is like so many; not what they appear.
    In the clip we listened to he urges for the sake of her health to address her weight issue. My guess he premeditated bungling her name; because now it's most likely that anyone who listened to it now knows how to pronounce her name. The cold heart of the matter is show business is not known for being nice and warm and fuzzy. She would do well to be outraged at what he said about her and for the sake of her health and career heed his advice.

17. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Shes FAT, Reality and truth. America hates FAT people, no matter what spin they put on their comments or advice, they HATE fat people. But in all fairness, Howard was being Howard, so his comments shouldnt shock or repulse anyone. In a country of supposedly FREE speech, you gotta take the good with the bad. that is also something the members on THIS site need to learn.....

Draft saved Draft deleted