Howard Stern

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BadBoyCanada, Dec 9, 2010.

1. BadBoyCanada

BadBoyCanada New Member

I see he has re-signed with Sirrius for another 5 years. In a related story, their renewals and new subscriptions spiked on the news.

I gotta ask. What's the big deal!!?? I have listened to him a handful of times and find him crude and insulting to one's intelligence.

I'm no prude, but gawd, why the hell is he so popular?

2. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Chicken McNuggets are also extremely popular.

3. bigjd69

bigjd69 New Member

Howard has a ENORMOUS Following and actually does a GREAT interview of guests!

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I used to love him, and now I hate him. He used to be entertaining. He always had a comedian on the show. Up to last year it was Artie Lange. Howard ignored Artie's drug abuse and Artie tried to kill himself around last Christmas. Howard has not had a comedian to replace him.

Howard is not funny, his supposed joke writer is not funny. Howard has become a wealthy Hamptonite snob with a huge mansion on the ocean and a two story Penthouse in Manhattan. He is cheap and refused to give his hard working staff Christmas gifts. One year he did give out a portable Sirius device to them which is like a teacher giving her students homework as a Christmas gift. Most of his fans know that he has become a complete hypocrite. He is disrespectful of his fans saying "I will piss on my fans if I want to". He feels he made it on his own, not due to his fans.

He's not that popular. I understand that he has less than 1 million regular listeners and he did not get the same $100 million a year budget for his show, so now he wants to work 3 days a week and take the whole summer off, while subscribers still pay for Sirius. Sirius was a bait and switch deal. Once Howard got his $250 million stock bonus for bringing his listeners to Sirius, after being there 6 months, he dumped the stock and stopped working on Fridays.

If you want a funny show with the same amount of listeners listen to Opie and Anthony. Whenever I listen to their show I laugh out loud several times. I honestly have only laughed once this year at anything Howard has said and it was when he was making fun of Robin for being an out of touch snob.... and don't get me started on that stupid wig he wears.

#4 Mem, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  5. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I'm surprised Sirius hasn't gone broke by now... his contracts are part of the reason.

6. Stretch

Stretch New Member

He's been an amazing presence in the culture for over 30 years. Doing 4-5 hours of incredible entertainment a day over that time. There's never been anyone like him. He and his cast of various cohorts, interns and people from life who would never have a chance of being recognized in any other forum, have been a decades long running reality show way before the concept became a trend. He is absolutely the biggest force in the history of radio and he pretty much single-handedly changed media as we know it, using complete honesty and self revelation instead of being a scripted cliche. He is, bar none, the best interviewer in any medium working today. As just one of thousands of examples, his 2 hour interview with Billy Joel a couple of weeks ago was brilliant and something you will never hear anywhere else.

I have to disagree with Mem on almost every point he made. I'm sorry Mem but...wig?...cheap and bad to his staff?...not that popular?. None of that is true and the wig thing is just bizarre. From everything I know, and from a friend of mine who worked for Sirius, he's an extremely generous and loyal person and boss to his staff from top to bottom. As far as not popular...please name me any...any...other person who could take a fledgling satellite radio company with 600,000 subscribers and turn it into a success with 20 million subscribers. Believe me, all those people aren't subscribing for music and Oprah. It sounds like you're getting your talking points from other shows, Opie and Anthony maybe, trashing Howard.

The show has definitely evolved and changed over the years. The show was never about being "funny" all the time. When it is, it's laugh out loud hilarious, but often bits and ideas don't work. It's the process and the journey that matter. The biggest thing the show has going for it, of course, is Howard Stern. He is the main reason why it all works and why all other shows that have come after it will never come close or duplicate what he's done or created. Stern is 56 now. He has a much different life, energy and different goals then he did in his 20's and 30's. The show is a breathing, organic entity. The very nature of it's concept dictates that it's not the same show as it used to be or will become. I find that almost every person who "hates" him has never listened to the show or tunes in periodically just to reaffirm their dislike of him. Most peoples opinions are shaped by the media and Howard has not made many friends in the media over the years. Between his refusal to kow-tow and play the usual game and the jealousy felt in the industry for this "crude", "classless", "jerk", who's made himself into an empire, he hasn't garnered the accolades that he deserves.

He tends to polarize people, but almost everyone has an opinion. This is just mine and my attempt to answer the OP's question.

7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd disagree on the basis of his selection of interviewees alone. And would further disagree as to his "skills".

But, opinions, as you say.....

8. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I understand. Which interviewees are you specifically referring to from the thousands he's done? Have you heard his interviews with these people:

Billy Joel
    Paul McCartney
    Ringo
    Ron Howard
    Ben Stiller
    Quentin Tarentino
    Sascha Baron Cohen
    Abbie Hoffman
    Bob Hope
    Jay-Z
    Tina Fey
    Willie Nelson
    Chris Rock
    Sylvester Stallone
    Sarah Silverman
    James Caan
    Pete Rose
    Joan Rivers
    Jewel
    Michael Moore
    Wilson Phillips
    Ozzy Osbourne

That's just off the top of my head. Not sure why you would have a problem with any of those people...but like we said...opinions :smile:

btw...The list of musical artists that have performed unplugged over the years on the show is a who's who of the last 25 years of music. I have over 200 mp3's of those performances. I will gladly send them to anybody here who's interested in some amazing unplugged sessions that you will not find anywhere else. Just pm me if you're interested.

9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't indicate I had a "problem" with anyone in particular that he's ever interviewed. He deals primarily with tv/film actors and pop/rock musicians. There is a vast array of other types of people not addressed (e.g., politicians, social activists, authors, culinaries, artists (non teevee categories), financiers, entrepreneurs, scientists, etc., etc...).

Draft saved Draft deleted