How's that scary, hatey thing going for ya? Recession recovery moving in right direct

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slurper_la, May 7, 2010.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    so the March jobs market gained 230,000 and April saw an increase of 290,000. April is the biggest one-month increase in FOUR YEARS and the biggest increase in MANUFACTURING jobs in TWELVE YEARS.

We have a long way to go but at least we're moving in the right direction.

Chris Weigant: Friday Talking Points [122] -- Bikini Bottom Update

2. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Amen. But you should've heard the right-wing media spin it this afternoon. Most of the talking heads on FAUX News looked like they might vomit at any moment.

Wait a minute...half of their "News" team are 5B's...bulimic bottle blondes with bionic boobs. They already spent most of their waking hours vomiting. They're either spewing out lunch, or GOP talking points.

3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed. I'm still concerned with the unemployment rate, but happy to see the economy is heading in the right direction. I have a feeling that the economic problems in Europe could begin to spill over here, and send us into a double dip recession- which would more than likely send the Democrats to a (mostly undeserved) disastrous defeat this November. The Democratic Party needs to get mean and nasty in the campaign. Ask the voters if they REALLY want to go back to the policies that got us in this mess in the first place?

4. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, we seem to be moving in the right direction, but we haven't arrived yet. My degree is in business administration with the equivalent of a minor in economics, so I know how unpredictable economics can be. There could still be some surprises, and we have a large national debt and deficit which could cause serious problems. However, the deficit was probably necessary to speed recovery. We'll just have to hope that we can end the deficit and pay down the debt without damaging the recovery.

If recovery continues until the elections, then the Democrats may retain power. If we're lucky, that will cause the Republican party to reform itself and get rid of the right wing reactionary radical do-nothings who are trying to dead lock Congress and who seem to care nothing about the country. I'm still a registered Republican, but the behavior of the Republican party is embarrassing.

5. sargon20

Gold Member

Where oh where is Trinity? I'm certain he is out rejoicing :smile:

#5 sargon20, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  6. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    @FRE: If the economy double dips, then the Republicans may very well make huge gains, and possibly take over the House. It's just the way the districts were drawn after the 2000 Census. If the economy continues to improve, the Republicans still make gains, but the Democrats retain control. I'm nervous about state legislative elections. These elections will generally determine how the districts are going to be re drawn after the Census information from this year gets released, so the Democrats better hope they retain as many state legislatures and governorships as possible.

7. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm no xenobiologist, but perhaps Trolls need to hibernate every so often? :smile:

8. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Surely you don't expect gerrymandering to occur!!

I expect the economy to continue to recover, but by very nature economics cannot be accurately predicted.

9. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's going to be tough to predict how it's all going to work out. I know a couple of Democratic states like Ohio and Massachusetts are going to lose seats, and Republican states like Utah, Arizona, and Texas are going to gain. There's talk that California may lose a seat, which I can't see happening. Sure, the percentage rate of our population increase has been slowing, but only because we're already so damned big. I see no net change in California's allocation in the House. Indeed, it all depends on what party occupies the statehouses and governor's mansions of the states once the population numbers are announced and the state redistricting debates begin.

10. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    You don't know that - nobody can "know" that.

I believe there's a fundamental undercarriage to the progressive movement, especially amongst younger voters, who will rally against the republicans again.

The corporate media keeps playing up the "anger" of the voters that will force the Dems out but that's just hyperbole

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Democrats will actually make gains in November because if there's any real anger out there it's aimed at the republican "party of no" that have roadblocked everything over the past year. Of course much will depend on the Dems growing a set and pushing back hard but I think they will as we get closer to November.

The tea-party crowd are already losing ground and splitting republican voters as they go. The recent spate of primaries around the country prove that out.

Oh, BTW, anyone notice that tea-party wunderkind Mark Rubio is losing ground in Florida?

11. sargon20

Gold Member

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

They're really looking for something to stick onto him, aren't they?

13. sargon20

Gold Member

Ohhh BIG TIME. Health Care passed and that was there Waterloo. So now they're desperate to nail something big, something big to him.

14. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was discussing whether states like Ohio and Massachusetts would lose seats after reapportionment, which is something that happens every 10 years, after the Census numbers get released. It's pretty much a given that Ohio/Massachusetts, and other Rust Belt states will lose at least one congressional seat, due to massive population losses, combined with big population increases in states like Arizona, Utah, and Texas. Remember, the House is fixed right now at 435 seats, so seats have to be shifted around between states based on relative population gain/loss.

15. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    My secondary point was that these seat losses might come at the expense of Democratic seats, depending on whether the states gaining seats are controlled by the Democrats or Republicans. In any case, we won't see the effects of reapportionment until the 2012 elections.

16. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

I'm sure you meant Michigan...
    Leaving Michigan Behind: Eight-year population exodus staggers state

Massachusetts' population figures have basically held steady over the past decade. Plus, Mass. isn't in the 'rust belt'. :smile:

#16 B_talltpaguy, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  17. JTalbain

Gold Member

I think that this will be the big deciding factor. Every time a third party candidate manages to gain significant popularity, they win the election.... for somebody else. Their ideologies are typically much closer aligned to one party than another, and hence people are not united behind a single candidate. If the Tea Party still has any sort of signifcant influence, and they place candidates on the ballot, they will be practically handing Democrats a victory, possibly in some VERY Red states.

18. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    ahh yes but then again you have the retarded tea-partyers and their instigators, like Michele Bachman, who advocate against completing the census. What a fabulous irony it would be if she lost her seat as a result of her "no big government" rantings.

19. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Michele Bachmann Said WHAT?!

That bitch is KKKrazy!

20. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Obama's economic policies are not improving the U.S. economy for the future. His deficit spending is weakening our country. Despite adding jobs in recent months, Unemployment increased. Underemployment is still a crisis. (The spin by the WH ignored - a higher unemployment rate is not good news because we need to be adding jobs at a higher rate to meet the increased need) The number of families suffering from foreclosure and credit debt, higher taxes and prices for everything is clearly being ignored and belittled by Obama and the Democrats.

Reality Check! The American people suffering know and understand that Obama's miniscule job additions do not meet the needs of 15 million of out of work Americans to say nothing of the millions who are struggling and have been struggling through the recession underemployed and overtaxed. As long as they feel the pain and can not feed their families or pay their bills...they won't be buying anything Obama and the Democrats are peddaling. They are now immune to the hope and change rhetoric because they need substance which equals a full-time job with benefits, more hours, credit for their small businesses, a home after being foreclosed on...
    Burst of hiring aids recovery, but long slog ahead

"I'm right here." She said.

Draft saved Draft deleted