HPV - Genital Warts - Anyone used Aldara (Imiquimod) for treatment?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by deputamadre, Jan 27, 2011.

1. deputamadre

deputamadre Member

Albums:
    So, found out I have a couple small genital warts on the base of my shaft. Doctor recommended I use this cream called Aldara. So far since I've begun using it I haven't seen much change except for minor irritation of the surrounding area.

Apparently Aldara is supposed to stimulate your immune system in the particular wart-ridden area to help combat any genital warts. I've heard lots of reports of people getting a fever or other bad reactions from it. I've read really mixed reviews online and was wondering if anyone on LPSG has any experience with it.

Thanks

2. xX_Sarah_Xx

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    How long have you been using it? Usually the period you have to apply it before you can see improvement is indicated on the patient information leaflet. But be aware that warts take some time to go away. Don't forget to wash it off after 8-10 hours, and only apply 3 times a week. They won't disappear any quicker if you apply it more, and there would be a bigger chance of irritating the skin. It's advised to not use it longer than 16 weeks.
    Genital warts are a self-limiting disease. Meaning it would eventually go away, with or without using drugs. If you really feel uncomfortable using something, you could just let them be. Of course... no one wants warts there... and there's no way of saying how quickly your own immune system would get rid of them. It is very contageous though (a 60-80% chance), so definitely use a condom.

Don't let "stories" that float around scare you. The drug has been approved by the FDA, the company has had to prove that the drug is safe to be used, it has been on the market for some years now. If any rare dangerous side-effects had been noted, the drug would have been taken off the market.

(On a side-note, fever is not a bad thing. It's a reaction of our body that allows our immune system to work harder. So naturally, fever is linked to being ill, but really it's our body fighting the infection. (It only becomes a "bad reaction" when it's out-of-control, in case of an overreaction of the body.)
    Since the drug is a stimulator of the immune system, fever is a side effect that would make sense. (Though it's not listed as one of the adverse effects in the Belgian drug repertoire.))

If you do experience any side-effects that you think are strange, I'd say give your pharmacist or doctor a call.

3. oacliffbuddy

oacliffbuddy New Member

A couple of thing to note on this....

It's a viral. It's not a killer. It is passed from skin to skin contact though not all skin to skin contact, just the thin membranous skins of the genital and anal regions (not handshakes or brushing up against someone).

You likely got it from someone you had vaginal or anal sex with. There is yet no known cure. It's fairly common. Over time your immune system will suppress the obvious FUTURE physical signs. It will not remove existing visible warts. You have to have those treated to remove them.

You are now a carrier and can pass it on to the next person you have vaginal or anal sex with, protected or not. During sex, the skin of your penis sheds cells that can and likely will infect the next person.

Take care with yourself and with others!

4. eurotop40

Gold Member

Why don't you have them lasered away?

5. wilseb

wilseb Member

Albums:
    I have HPV, but never had warts. Didn't know HPV had any reactions for men.

So, I guess I'm a carrier and have passed it on to my wife.

6. D_tyrshxt

D_tyrshxt New Member

Hey I hpv too but I haven't been using aldera, I opted not to do anything the doc recomended. Actually, when I have an outbreak, I use apple cider vinegar and they go away in a few days time. No need for expensive creams and what not. Hope this advice helps you decide.

7. dude_007

Gold Member

yeah, apple cider vinegar works to get rid of the warts. they can come back, just have to do it again. it can be mild-mod pain (burning) but after about a week or so they are gone.

also, for the asymptomatic carriers of HPV, you can also soak your stuff in apple cider vinegar and if you get any white spots, that's a lesion that has been hiding and worth getting rid of

Draft saved Draft deleted