Hrm.....

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm on a movie kick lately. What movie would you recommend I see?
Meg,
You will probably get all kinds of different recommendations with this questions. One of the most beautiful movies I have seen in a long time is House of Flying Daggers. Its not a scary thriller. It is a Japanese movie and it is beyond description.

I also loved the recent Pride and Prejudice production with Keira Knightly. It was really well acted (except for Donald Sutherland who simply does Donald Sutherland) and also extremely beautifully filmed. Every single frame of that movie could be cut out and printed as a picture and hung on a wall. You could enjoy this movie even with the sound turned down including just watching Keira's subtle facial reactions to things said and done.

Funny movies: Somehow 40 Year Old Virgin managed to be surprisingly funny and endearing. I think it is because the cast are well known improvisational comics and much of the movie was improvised by them.

Oh sorry, I just realized you might be asking about movies currently in the theatres. If so, I can't help you out there.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Brokeback Mountian, if you haven't already... amazing movie
Finding Nemo is a personal favorite...
Grandma's boy.. is good
Waiting is hillarious when you are high...
*thinks*

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Meg,
You will probably get all kinds of different recommendations with this questions. One of the most beautiful movies I have seen in a long time is House of Flying Daggers. Its not a scary thriller. It is a Japanese movie and it is beyond description.

I also loved the recent Pride and Prejudice production with Keira Knightly. It was really well acted (except for Donald Sutherland who simply does Donald Sutherland) and also extremely beautifully filmed. Every single frame of that movie could be cut out and printed as a picture and hung on a wall. You could enjoy this movie even with the sound turned down including just watching Keira's subtle facial reactions to things said and done.

Funny movies: Somehow 40 Year Old Virgin managed to be surprisingly funny and endearing. I think it is because the cast are well known improvisational comics and much of the movie was improvised by them.

Oh sorry, I just realized you might be asking about movies currently in the theatres. If so, I can't help you out there.

No, not necessarily movies in the theaters - ANY movies... independent films, old, new, black&white, whatever genre... just movies.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The Man Who Fell To Earth (2005 Criterion Collection re-release)
David Bowie in the starring role. I have only seen this once before, on VHS from an American print, in the late 80s. But it's been reformatted, remastered, and left uncut (unlike its 1976 American release), and is a visually engaging film. Very beautiful direction. I bet this re-release would look awesome on a HDTV. Some cheesy special effects, but give it a break, it was 1976 and this was meant to be an art film, not Star Wars. In case you forgot, Buck Henry, Rip Torn, and Candy Clark co-star.

Mayor of the Sunset Strip (2003)
A documentary on the life and times of Rodney Bingenheimer, AKA "Rodney on the ROQ". Amazing how much this guy got around LA in the 60s and 70s, and just how much he gave a leg up on LA radio to unknown rock bands in the 80s and 90s. Drives a sweet 1967 GTO. Sometimes very touching (Rodney flies to London to spread the ashes of his estranged mother), other times really funny (Courtney Love's response when asked how she first met Rodney: "I stalked him."), and overall a neat look at someone who was a central tastemaker to the LA music/celebrity scene for 3 decades, and might/might not have received the attention he deserved.

So Wrong They're Right (1995 production/2003 release)
I flipped out when I found this. A no-budget 16mm documentary produced by Russ Forster, who was the frontman in the disco cover band I drummed for in 1989/1990. In 1994 or so, Russ and a partner took around $20K in what was to be Russ' film school money, and set off cross-country for a year to document others who were equally enamored with the life and death of the 8-track tape format central to the theme. Russ captures more, though - the refusal of somewhat quirky people to be told what to consume. "One persons' landfill fodder is another's obsession". 92 minutes of fun. This might be hard to track down - try 8trackheaven.com or othercinemadvd.com.

I've always had a soft spot for the look and feel of Terry Gilliam's Brazil...

And also Rock And Rule, an animated Canadian flick from 1983. Visually engaging for its time, and features Cheap Trick, Lou Reed, Debbie Harry, and Earth, Wind And Fire among others on the soundtrack.

David Lynch's Mullholland Drive was a trip... as is all his work...

Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train...
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just about ALL of the scary movies out their.."
But, please do not go see Primeval....:mad:
That is a DUMB movie.." But, the rest of the scary ones are so worth it.."

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You want a good movie ?

How about the one that should be made about all the
DMW / Danny / Spoogsicle saga here on LPSG ? :rolleyes:

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of the most beautiful movies I have seen in a long time is House of Flying Daggers. Its not a scary thriller. It is a Japanese movie and it is beyond description.

I concur, the scenery and colors are intense especially in the very green bamboo forest, but I have to point out that it is a Chinese (Hong Kong) film, not Japanese.

On a lighter note you might enjoy "Nanny McPhee".