HS Coach Fired For 100 Point Win

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Coach fired, says he’s not sorry for 100-point win

The Associated Press
    Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dallas — The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize “for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in The Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes’ e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout “shameful.”

Queal did not immediately answer phone messages or e-mail from The Associated Press.

On its Web site last week, Covenant, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its Jan. 13 shutout win over Dallas Academy. “It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honorable approach to competition,” said the statement, signed by Queal and board chair Todd Doshier.

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to the newspaper that he does not agree with his school’s assessment.

“In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed,” Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

A phone number for Grimes could not be located by The Associated Press. The Dallas Morning News said Grimes did not respond to their repeated e-mail requests for a telephone interview.

There was no answer at a number listed for Doshier.

A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with “learning differences,” such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, “a golden rule” that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.

My 2 cents: Waaa, waaa, waa :crying: it's basketball, not the Special Olympics. Only one team gets to win, deal with it. :cool:

Yes, I am familiar with the Mercy Rule. Perhaps I would be more sympathetic to it's use had it been around when I was in high school. My hs football team set the county record in 1984, for most consecutive losses (28). That's right we won two games my freshman year and didn't win another game until November of my senior year. :redface: One noteable game we lost 50-0 and were chased back to our buses by the opposing team and their band. :irked:

So what does this guy do at his next job interview? I can imagine it going something like this:
    Interviewer: Your resume is exemplary but I see you were let go from your last coaching position. Why was that?

Coach Grimes: My girls won by too big a spread.

Interviewer: :eek: You were terminated for winning big?

Coach Grimes: Yes sir, that is correct. We won by 100 points.

Interviewer: Sounds like you were playing a team that could have used a little more practice. Even so, this is Texas we like to win big here.

You're hired Coach Grimes.

Coach Grimes: Thank you, when can I start?

2. blg3floor3

blg3floor3 New Member

I'm more concerned with the fact that the other team scored 0 than with the 100 point margin. As a whole team, how exactly do you score no points whatsoever in a game of basketball? I didn't think that was possible.

That's messed up that he got fired though. Especially since the other team didn't give up. Unless forfeiting isn't allowed, they're clear decision to not give up could be seen as an open invitation for the other girls to keep playing.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

big3floor3: The other team had only eight people on it, all of whom had learning or developmental disabilities. I don't know how serious the disabilities are, but it's not hard to imagine what might have led the team to score zero points.

njqt466: You suggest that the reason the coach was let go was because of the size of the win. My reading from the article is that the coach was let go for his independent dissent. The school issued a statement on Tuesday that said the way the game was played was not "Christlike and honorable"; five days later, the coach issued a contradictory statement that the game was played "with honor and integrity" and that "I do not agree with the apology".

I don't claim to understand what qualifies a basketball game as "Christ-like", and I don't condone the restrictive attitude towards free speech and dissent present in many Christian organizations (and many secular organizations, for that matter), but I suspect the coach was well-aware of that attitude when he made his statement.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

I see where you are going and I have to admit my mind didn't go there when I first read the article.:redface: If they were that unevenly matched from the begining I don't understand why they played in the first place. :confused: With that additional information, even without a mercy rule I say the referee should have called the game.

I'm a Christian and I didn't get the connection between Jesus and basketball either. They may have covered that one of the times I was hungover in Sunday school.:redface::tongue:

I don't claim to understand what qualifies a basketball game as "Christ-like", and I don't condone the restrictive attitude towards free speech and dissent present in many Christian organizations (and many secular organizations, for that matter), but I suspect the coach was well-aware of that attitude when he made his statement.

5. blg3floor3

blg3floor3 New Member

That's an entirely different matter then. It doesn't seem very fair to have matched them up in an official capacity like that. That's kind of messed up.

6. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can understand the way these church goers feel but please, its a competition, its not a help your neighbor fix there house or babe sit the elderly, people came to watch a basketball game, how entertaining would it have been to just sit there and watch a team of practiced player stand around a wait for some get lucky enough to finally make a single shot. Yeah I agree with the person that said how do you actually get through a basket ball game and not score, how damn hard is it really to put the ball in the basket, answer-NOT.

7. mindseye

Gold Member

May you never experience the misfortune of losing your abilities.

There are people in this world for which such a feat is damn hard.

8. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

On one hand, I'm not sure it is the winning coach's responsibility to keep the score down. However, this guy really went overboard. His team was shooting three pointers late in the game, running fast breaks, etc.

In high school basketball, there is no shot clock. The team that was winning could have run a 'stall' offense to keep the score under control. Also, why weren't the 2nd and 3rd string players put into the game...instead he left his starters in there....pressing, etc.

Its not good sportsmanship. I agree, he should have been fired.

9. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

What about when Jesus said, "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to get a free throw?"

10. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    i can't believe this story has generated so much coverage.
    i also can't believe the loosing team couldn't make even ONE
    shot. wow. maybe they should practice more?

as far as the winning coach getting fired, that is simply absurd.
    In the end a win is a win and a loss is a loss. so it was a big win
    and a big loss. SO WHAT?! It's sports. someone wins and someone
    loses. period. That fired coach will have no trouble finding a job.

11. nakedfish

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    yuk yuk yuk.........funny .........!!! I got a ick out of this post!

12. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    This was all over the morning talk radio today, and I did hear one interesting point raised...why didn't the coach of the losing team concede or forfeit?

It had to be painfully obvious to everyone that his kids were outclassed in every imaginable way, so why didn't he step up to protect them?

If anyone should have been fired, it was the losing coach.

13. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

Frankly, I think the coach ought to have been fired. Not just because of the win but also because he contacted the media and directly contradicted the school administration. You can't have that.

As for the game itself, from the article it looked like the losing team was from a school that specialized in teaching students with various types of learning disabilities. Honestly, I have no idea how far we could expand "learning disability". At first impression, it doesn't look like it ought to impact the game. If if the players can't focus on what they are doing, then, yeah I could see how that could be a problem. The winning team may or may not have known or understood that. The question is, would my opinion about the matter change any if the students on the losing team didn't have any disabilties? No it really wouldn't.

When you put on that uniform you are representing your team and your school, and thus you must live up to an appropriate code of honor. I personally have never played on a team that would have accepted this. Winning against a roughly equal team that is just having a bad game is one thing. But from the fact that the losing team had failed to score a single point in the first half of the game should have clued them in to the fact that this was a serious mismatch. There should be no joy in winning like that and the fact that the winning team was cheering and still going for 3-pointers tells me that they haven't learned the important lessons to be learned from playing high school basketball.

As for the Christian component of the the winning school, the school administration was justified in firing the coach, because he was obviusly not teaching Christian values. Being a Christian requires one to comport to a certain ethical system. In this context three values stand out, which were certainly NOT adhered to in that game, humility, generosity, and mercy. The coach obviously did not beleive in teaching those values to his team, and thus the school was absolutely correct to fire him.

Youth sports is more than teaching kids how to play a game. IMO, it is much more about teaching them lessons and values that will serve them well in their development into adults and hopefully as adults too. Youth sports ought not be conducted like "Lord of the Flies", but it sure was that game.

14. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is a great point that I believe it lost on most of society these days that has such a me me me win win win my child is the best attitude.

A full court press and shooting 3 pointers in the 4th quarter against a team that is of a special education nature? That is like one of those wall street rats who made off with all our money going into the ghetto and spitting on homeless people. There are just some things in life you don't fucking do.

Forget christian values, if you are a coach and do not have the awareness or sanity to pull the reigns back in a situation like this, then you are not mentally or emotionally fit to be a teacher of our youth. If you want to get your swerve on do it against a team that can actually defend itself and score a point.

Score a hundred points against a team that can read and write, then you can impress me. That coach shouldn't be allowed to coach anymore.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

Until Mindseye pointed it out I didn't think of learning disabled students as being basically of a special education nature. As an educator perhaps I should have. :redface: But the truth is that today, ADD, HD, ADHD, and dyslexia are the most commonly diagnosed learning disorders and thats where my mind went upon reading that article.

If they were severly developmentally delayed or physically handicapped then they should not have been out there regardless of the fact it was a Christian school league. It makes me wonder how their other games ended. What was the final score? :confused: Why do that to the esteem of children already at a disadvantage?

16. mindseye

Gold Member

The article certainly didn't make it clear, and I tried to find out more information about the school. My understanding from the school's website is that their student body includes a fairly wide range of learning disabilities, from mild cases of attention-deficit and dyslexia to more serious cases of Down's Syndrome, autism, and other conditions, although the majority of students appear to fall in the milder category. I don't know anything specifically pertinent to their basketball team.

17. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sometimes the scheduling of a team is not really up to them, especially when catholic or parochial schools are involved. They have a quota and have to play certain teams from certain leagues and there is really nothing that can be done. For instance in NJ some public school football teams HAVE to play a private school which is able to recruit and is fully funded, which is absurdly unfair. We still put it to them bitch ass catholic school boys though on occasion, but not often.

18. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Let me understand this right; this guy coaches a girls basketball team, they all but clobber the opposing team by a 100 points, and he gets canned? And on top of that, the opposing team has members who have learning disabilities?

#18 MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  19. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Another perspective from the Dallas News, and more coverage.

Interesting quote at the end by a parent. "We want to represent Christ with the highest respect, we don't want to humiliate anyone ever and we want our students to be enthusiastic in everything they do."

Right. That's why they drove the score to an even 100 points...just to gloat. Do kids play basketball to win, or to learn teamwork and sportsmanship? What did the kids from the winning team learn from this experience? It seems they learned to use the weakness of others to make yourself appear fantastic. No place for compassion on the high school basketball court.

This coach has his priorities way off.

#19 exwhyzee, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted