Huckabee Wants To Change Constitution

B_InDepth

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What the fuck!? That comment was not called for! A lot of agnostics and atheists I know voted for one of the two major parties the last few election cycles.

And the only "wasted" vote is an uncast or uncounted vote. You think a vote is wasted if it's not cast for the winning candidate? Last time I checked, people have a right to vote as they please - even for a minor party if they want to send a message to two major parties. Ever consider that their votes for minor parties are a way of expressing their opinions on the whole mucked-up two party system?

thank you.. i was to mad and disapointed to even respond to her post

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

Why did "Gay Rights" ding repeatedly in my head when I read this part of that article?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The man is not even remotely qualified be President, if he doesn't understand or support the principles upon which your country was founded.

Neither do the people who support him. If everyone understood the implications of what he was saying then they'd have walked out.

But people don't because people are uneducated. They don't think before they act and rallies like that are little more than managed mob scenes where group mentality takes over. The intelligent people who would honestly debate amongst themselves in their own living room leave their judgment at the meeting hall doors and will rah rah just about anything their candidate says. They don't resist the enthusiasm of the people around them.

Huckabee is not a fool, nor is he stupid. He's one of the many, many, people here in the US who believes that the US is the closest thing to God's moral force in the world. Listen to conservative talk radio or the Christian broadcasters. One of their mantras is that Christianity is under attack from forces both outside and inside the US. They instill in their listeners the idea that Christianity has always been the single force for US authority, not, "We the people." Being uneducated in history, politics, and civics, these voters hear what they like and get caught-up in the mantra. They see TV which picks the most prurient stories, the most alarmist pundits, and their feelings of besiegement are validated. What they do not understand are the economic and social legislation enacted by both major parties which undermines not just conservative Christians, but all Americans. These people have no view of the world independent of what their chosen media outlets give them; media outlets controlled by backers of the status quo. The true politician knows that if you keep the people frightened, invoke God, and bait them with minor, tangential, but inflammatory stories, that the people will be more compliant. Frightened people don't think or act rationally.

The man is not even remotely qualified be President, if he doesn't understand or support the principles upon which your country was founded.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i do think huckabee is a fool and is very naive... but it is just plain retarded to be concerned about someones faith.... unless he is somehow going to convert the whole senate, congress, and judicial deparments it would never make a difference on anything.... and i think it says something about someone who judges someone on such a bias... that would be the same as say hillary should be shot to the moon cause shes a woman..

but anyways..!!! vote for Ron Paul 2008 — Hope for America
Dude, just two comments. You really do not understand what role the president plays in American politics, do you? If you think a president has no direct influence on the judicial system, you are beyond help. No, a president does not have to convert the Congress and judiciary to make his influence happen - he just simply makes his judicial and cabinet and agency-head appointments from among his buddies who share his views. The rest falls into place.

And about Ron Paul - give it a rest. I was skeptical of him before, then I saw his comments in another thread about the "values voters 'debate'". Yes, he was up there agreeing with the "moderator", and his comments were even more in line with fundamentalist thinking than were Huckabee's comments. It was sickening.

edit: I tracked down the link I was looking for. Although it's painful, watch the entire clip, please. The comments by Alan Keyes, Ron Paul, and Mike Huckabee are especially telling.

When the topic is not debated at a debate

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:aargh4: This country absolutely needs change but adding excerpts from the bible (anyones bible) to the constitution is not the way to go! He's a former baptist preacher, how do we know he doesn't want the Constitution to contain parts of Leviticus?

I really hope he doesn't gain strength in the polls. The religious right tends to be a formidable foe at election time.

Where are those mouthy atheists and agnostics when we need them? :confused: Oh that's right, in the past they have voted for Ross Perot and Ralph Nader. :rolleyes: Talk about a wasted vote. . .
Hey why that tone with the atheists and agnostics? . I think that valid arguments exists to accept and reject or to doubt the existance of god or gods.:rolleyes: Also many christians are mouthy too.:smile::smile:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And the only "wasted" vote is an uncast or uncounted vote. You think a vote is wasted if it's not cast for the winning candidate? Last time I checked, people have a right to vote as they please - even for a minor party if they want to send a message to two major parties. Ever consider that their votes for minor parties are a way of expressing their opinions on the whole mucked-up two party system?

I see what you're saying, but I kinda agree with her to some level.
You do send a message to Republicans & Democrats by voting outside of the party and picking someone completely different. But if that person has no real chance on winning in the first place, it's like the vote never had any leg to stand on. Perot & Nader never won any primaries, nor were any of their numbers close to the top competitors. But in the case of Gore/Bush in 2000, the few people who decided to send a message by voting outside the box ultimately decided the fate of the election.

We know that no candidate for office is ever perfect. And even though it's important to vote for the person who represents your views, it's also wise to choose a candidate who may actually have a chance in winning. I'm sure that people who voted for Perot & Nader found things in Gore's campaign that they liked. And if these voters would have supported the candidate that had a better chance in winning, we may have had a different outcome on the election. Instead, we got Bush. 'Nuff said.

If the issue in 2008 is about change, then we all know what we have to do. Otherwise, we may just have a crackpot like Huckabee in office and then we'll all be in serious trouble.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If Huckabee (or Romney) wins, my partner and I will be moving out of the USA.

edit: I tracked down the link I was looking for. Although it's painful, watch the entire clip, please. The comments by Alan Keyes, Ron Paul, and Mike Huckabee are especially telling.

When the topic is not debated at a debate

I'm packing a couple bags and throwing them in the trunk...just in case.

Why is it that homophobic candidates always link homosexuality with bestiality? Do you know of any gay men or women who complain about bestiality laws? I don't. This is so twenty five years ago.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I see what you're saying, but I kinda agree with her to some level.
You do send a message to Republicans & Democrats by voting outside of the party and picking someone completely different. But if that person has no real chance on winning in the first place, it's like the vote never had any leg to stand on. Perot & Nader never won any primaries, nor were any of their numbers close to the top competitors. But in the case of Gore/Bush in 2000, the few people who decided to send a message by voting outside the box ultimately decided the fate of the election.

We know that no candidate for office is ever perfect. And even though it's important to vote for the person who represents your views, it's also wise to choose a candidate who may actually have a chance in winning. I'm sure that people who voted for Perot & Nader found things in Gore's campaign that they liked. And if these voters would have supported the candidate that had a better chance in winning, we may have had a different outcome on the election. Instead, we got Bush. 'Nuff said.

If the issue in 2008 is about change, then we all know what we have to do. Otherwise, we may just have a crackpot like Huckabee in office and then we'll all be in serious trouble.
Does Nader's influence explain 2004?

The U.S. has become a de facto two party government, any person who chooses to combat that narrow minded polarization between right and left, especially when no real distinction exists between the parties, has not wasted a vote.

Keep voting the two party system and it will get you more of the same. While there is no guarantee an independent would prove better, no two organizations should be able to create an oligarchy in what most citizens attempt to hail as a great democracy.

Americans aren't dumb enough to elect this guy.

Are they? Please tell me they aren't.
Sure we are, all he has to do is be "right" on enough hot button issues and work the populist angle.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm packing a couple bags and throwing them in the trunk...just in case.

Why is it that homophobic candidates always link homosexuality with bestiality? Do you know of any gay men or women who complain about bestiality laws? I don't. This is so twenty five years ago.

I hate it when Huckabee fucks his dog (or his cow).

I don't, however, think he is gay because of it.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wonder if the Republicans will be foolish enough to actually nominate a figure as one dimensional and religiously divisive as Huckabee. I sure hope so.

Regardless, I suspect Huckabee's candidacy will flame out just like Pat Robertson's did.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Speaking of... since the gazillion LPSGers here seem to completely shit on Christianity, and pat each other on the back (re: Zora, et al)...

Can someone kindly fwd me a picture of the Koran (and fell free to open the page to a most sacred script) to shoot a huge cumshot all over... video tape and post hereto...

Thought so.. hypocrites...

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Dipshit (and I rarely reserve berating fellow LPSGers...)

It's rhetoric.... our money says in God we trust.. so what if they back something with a little faith... doesn't bother this aethiest.

He's not talking about money, he's referring to the Constitution which is a secular document. The ratification at the end "the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven." is the only place where God is mentioned.