Humane way to catch a mouse

Aplomado

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a mouse in my house!

I've never had to deal with a mouse before. I don't want it in my home, but I don't want to use one of those gory Victory traps. Are there any alternatives?

My cats used to bring them in all the time. I used a towel. Throw it over them and scoop them up and throw them outside.
Also you can get a 5gal bucket and put a ramp up to it and some food inside, but that takes overnight.

If you get bit, KILL IT AND SAVE IT. Because you need to test it for rabies. If it has rabies you need to get vaccinated and if it doesn't then you don't need the 8 painful shots in the stomach.
It probably won't bite you. It's scared and just wants to get outside.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
My cats used to bring them in all the time. I used a towel. Throw it over them and scoop them up and throw them outside.
Also you can get a 5gal bucket and put a ramp up to it and some food inside, but that takes overnight.

If you get bit, KILL IT AND SAVE IT. Because you need to test it for rabies. If it has rabies you need to get vaccinated and if it doesn't then you don't need the 8 painful shots in the stomach.
It probably won't bite you. It's scared and just wants to get outside.

Isn't it a bit late to get vaccinated after you've been bitten? Do you perhaps mean Rabies Postexposure Prophylaxis? Which does include administration of the vaccine, so I guess you're not totally off the mark.

Also:
Can I get rabies from a squirrel or a mouse?
Squirrels, mice, and other small rodents have only very rarely been found to have rabies, and have never been known to transmit rabies to humans or other animals. In general, postexposure treatment is not recommended after a bite from one of these animals unless it is unusually vicious or appears obviously ill. Groundhogs are the only rodents that are likely to be infected with rabies virus in areas where raccoons are commonly found to be rabid.

So stop trying to scare poor widdle rex :wink:

rex, if you really want to do it humanely and release look for one of these:

Live multi capture humane mouse trap

I've used that kind of trap with limited success. Mine came with a piece of fake cheese to entice the mice into the trap - if you get one of those chuck it, it's useless. Use bacon, fatty bacon. This is not unlike the food in a 5 gallon bucket suggestion. Basically they can get into the box but can't get out. Then you can observe through the clear lid you have a mouse, pick it up safely and take it outside. Note: take it FAR away. If you just pop it outside it'll be back in before you can say "Fuck you, mouse!".

It is easier to use old style traps and poison. But you can have a go on that kind of trap. Oh, and if you want to be humane when you store the trap put it in a heavy duty bag. I just threw mine in the under sink cupboard and when I moved house I found it with a desicated mouse and also a desicated viper in it!! Ooops. Sorry mama Nature :frown:

Last edited:

They sell cheap plastic mouse traps. They're simple boxes with a one-way flap door. Bait them with peanut butter placed at the very back of the trap and wait a bit. Try placing it near where you saw the mouse along the wall with the door facing where you think the mouse came from. If you catch one and it poops in the trap just try to leave the poop in it (disgusting I know) but mice will follow the poop/urine of other mice. Get a box of disposable rubber gloves to handle the trap. You release the mouse by simply turning it upside down allowing the door to flip open and then just place it on the ground. Be sure you release the mouse quite some distance away. Then re-bait it and wait. Mice never come alone.

Aplomado

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My doctor told me if I ever get bit by a rodent or bat to save the remains to be tested because if you don't the standard procedure is for them to give you the shots anyway because they assume the worst.
And yeah I know its not a vaccine i just didn't remember the complicated name for it.

I know rabies from rodents is extremely rare but painful rabies shots from the doctor aren't rare.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What kind of mouse?

If it is a "Birther" mouse, bait the trap with Obama's Birth Certificate...

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If it has rabies you need to get vaccinated and if it doesn't then you don't need the 8 painful shots in the stomach.

Chances of a mouse having rabies is so close to zero.

Modern medicine does not require "shots in the stomach".
(Actually into the abdominal cavity - intraperitoneal)

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can get a trap that catches them without killing them. Then you go and release it and it will be back in your house before you are.