Humans Are Born Without Sexuality?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Suzaku, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Suzaku

Suzaku New Member

I recently read an article in a psychology column somewhere that human beings are born without a sexual preference. We are just attracted to things that look beautiful to us whether it be men or women. However as we slowly grow up, society, family and moral values slowly narrows or dictates our sexual desires to a particular gender. They also say that no one in this world is completely gay or straight that there are always some form of basest desire in you that you may find the same sex attractive. Like sometimes I would be walking down the street and see this guy who is like drop dead gorgeous, and I would think to myself he is pretty handsome, even though I want nothing sexual to do with him. The study says that gays or bisexuals are found much more often in countries who openly accept their lifestyle like England or the Dutch. And those people that are completely gay or straight and could never find the same sex attractive are those that decide to psychologically shut down a part of our brain. People have been known to have lost memories or a certain period in their life, because their brain hides the memory in the person's subconscious. Could we as humans do the same thing for sexual attraction? Or do you think this theory is absurd.

2. iggy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i think its true... it all depends on genetics (e.i. hormones), family and society... i think...

3. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

I think thats the most sensible sexual theory ever.

Personally, that explains just about everythnig in my sexual life... or non sexual life... or yeah.

I know what I mean!

That explains my either way attraction, it explains my stand-off-ish nature when it comes to relationships and everything. :p

4. Knight

Knight New Member

I don't know. To say we are all bi is wrong. It was kinda hinted at by what Suzaku said. You see a guy, you think 'wow he's confident/handsome/etc' but its NOT sexual. I do the same. It's in no way sexual. I don't think about some guy sucking my cock or me bending him over.

I think a better statement would be: We all (men and women) have the capacity to find likeable traits in both sexes and can admire them for said features. However, sexual attraction is quite apart from that...'

Or something. I'm not bi but I'm just 'comfortable enough with my sexuality' as some would say, to think to myself, yeah he's well built, or he looks cool. Girls arouse me, guys don't.

Anyway I don't really agree with the article. Nobody knows for a fact that your sexuality, or even your whole existence, is or is not determined in some way before birth/in the womb. The claim in the article is just a guess, and I myself think it's wrong.

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x5.5: It could hold some basis, and I agree that everyone may find aspects in the same sex attractive - but this obviously does not make them bi-sexual. There is a pretty thick and easily defineable line between one finding something sexually attractive, and one finding it aesthically attractive.

6. gig22

gig22 New Member

This has been disproved by science. They tried that on a group of young kids. At birth, they chose one of the twins to be "female" and made sure the family would raise one as a "male" and one as a "female" (the operated one).

To cut a very sad story short, let's just say that they found out they were very, very wrong.

Anyone knows the name of the case I'm talking about?

7. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe we're conceived without sexual preference, but I'm pretty sure we're born with a sexual preference. There's enough evidence. Including my own experience.

8. pie

pie New Member

It seems resonable, but then again with stuff like this its good to look at a soceity without social or moral standpoints on that stuff, say animals. Ok theres a bit of differance but if you count the ammount of cases between two apes of the same sex for example the theory really dosent seem to work.

Also, if humanity was bisexual then some society would have evolved to be much more tolorant that some of them are now.

Correct me if im grosly wrong though

9. jonb

Gold Member

A lot of societies are more accepting of bisexuality and actually institutionalize some forms of same-sex relations.

10. ceg1526

ceg1526 Member

I seem to remember the Germans did during WWII. Auschwitz, Birkenau, Birchenwald...

Suzaku, I think you read a dated article. From what I understand, preference is hardwired. Gig22 makes reference to a pair of male twins (Canadian I think, I read about this in Rolling Stone a couple of years ago), one of whom had his cock burnt off during circumcision. The doc recommended "reassignment surgery" and that he be raised as a girl. Kid wants to play with trucks and hated to wear dresses. Doc wrote a lot of papers saying it was a "success." When the twins hit puberty, the doc had the "girl" take vitamins (actually estrogens). Kid finally figures it out, stops treatment, get married, and eventually suicides. Pretty messed up.

I've been told that the number of gay males is about 10 of the population, regardless of culture, and that of gay females is somewhat less (5 or 7% if I remember my diversity training class).

Take care

Ceg

11. iggy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    a question: if a boy, who grows up in an all gay home will he also be gay?

12. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

Studies that I've heard about (sorry, can't cite specifics) suggest that children raised in same-sex homes are neither more nor less likely to have the sexual orientation of their parents. Same for opposite-sex couples. Remember, the vast majority of the glbt population come from str8 households. And ALL of them are products of opposite-sex parents.

The studies that I'm thinking about does say that children raised in same-sex households are less likely to hold negative prejudices about same-sex relationships and might be more open to experimentation however.

13. jonb

Gold Member

I seem to remember the Germans did during WWII. Auschwitz, Birkenau, Birchenwald...
    [post=338849]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Um, that's not what I meant by institutionalize. I meant "to make part of a structured and usually well-established system".

14. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

Is the difference in tolerance among societies a sign that homosexuality is more common there? Or that homosexuals are more willing to be open about it? I've never seen any proof about which is may be a cause and which is an effect. Or if neither is.

15. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I think it has more to do with their spiritual belief system. There are several cultures (I can't cite specifics) in which the local leader is a shaman or "medicine man" type of figure. Often in those types of cultures, homosexuality is thought to be a special gift from the gods, and holds an exalted position within the group.

16. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

I can't cite specifics either, but I remember that some Native American tribes in pre-Columbus era America.

17. jonb

Gold Member

I think it has more to do with their spiritual belief system. There are several cultures (I can't cite specifics) in which the local leader is a shaman or "medicine man" type of figure. Often in those types of cultures, homosexuality is thought to be a special gift from the gods, and holds an exalted position within the group.
    [post=339257]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Wįkte in Lakota. Shaman actually is derived from a Chinese word for Buddhist monk, xiamen or something like that.

Mostly institutionalized homosexuality indicates some kind of population stress. At the opposite extreme, forbidding homosexuality, it indicates an economy which depends on having a large work force.

18. Irvy

Irvy Member

Albums:
    It's impossible to know what percentage of people are gay, until there is some kind of blood screening that is enforced to truely discover it, and first they'd have to find some way of telling!

From all the evidence I've seen, sexuality, as opposed to sexual preference, is determined during pregnancy. I think in almost all cases studied, identical twins (nature's clones) are always the same sexuality, whereas non identical twins can be the same, or different.

If you go to a country where society has not completely accepted homosexuality, any survey you do to find out who is gay is pointless, because for every person who says yes, there will be an unknown number of people who will lie and say they are not. That's why all the 1 in ten, or 3 in ten figures you have heard are actually too low.

I don't believe either that we are all latently bisexual. We are all capable of acting bisexually, but that's just a matter of pushing things into holes. I know for certain that I am 100% gay, but when I was younger, and trying to deny it, I had girlfriends that I experimented with sexually, to try to "force" myself to be straight. It didn't work!

19. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

However, a wikte, and other Native American berdaches, don't consider themselves to be homosexual because they don't consider themselves to be men: they are the 'third sex' that embodies both the male and female souls. A warrior could marry a berdache without being thought a homosexual. (American Indian readers, please note: I am using the term berdache in a neutral sense. I mean nothing derogatory by it.)

20. jonb

Gold Member

You forgot the ogonek. (That nasalization can be important.) And you're right; actually the only rule, at least gender-wise, was that two wįkte couldn't do anything together.

Draft saved Draft deleted