Hung Aussie Going to America for College! Advice!

str821

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
If you are looking for parties and the American experience, do consider price. Tuition, room, and board at American universities can be extremely expensive relative to costs of attendance in the rest of the world. Some states' university systems are much less expensive than others, and private schools' prices vary a lot too. Most states have a "flagship" state university or two (in California, UCLA and Berkeley), and most of those schools would suit your purposes pretty well, but you might be expected to work harder than you want to at most of them. I think you would find what you are looking for at lot of less-well-known state schools, and those tend to be less expensive. For example, Towson University in Maryland, George Mason University in Virginia (actually Virginia's largest school), and West Chester University in Pennsylvania probably have what you want. All of them are in the suburbs in major urban areas. I think the Florida state schools and those in the deep south (Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana) would have both the climate and the party atmosphere that you want. California is a lot of fun, but expect universities there to be expensive and public transportation there to be limited (relative to the situation in the East Coast megalopolis).

I am not sure that anyone has said this yet, but Americans I know who have gone to Australia for a semester have gone there to party because, in their experience, Australian schools are less academically demanding than comparably regarded American schools. The moral of the story is, even if you go to a good university in Australia, you might find fairly prestigious American schools like UCLA and USC to be the opposite of a big party, given your expectations.

SR_Daniel Dangler

Experimental Member
Media
If you are looking for parties and the American experience, do consider price. Tuition, room, and board at American universities can be extremely expensive relative to costs of attendance in the rest of the world. Some states' university systems are much less expensive than others, and private schools' prices vary a lot too. Most states have a "flagship" state university or two (in California, UCLA and Berkeley), and most of those schools would suit your purposes pretty well, but you might be expected to work harder than you want to at most of them. I think you would find what you are looking for at lot of less-well-known state schools, and those tend to be less expensive. For example, Towson University in Maryland, George Mason University in Virginia (actually Virginia's largest school), and West Chester University in Pennsylvania probably have what you want. All of them are in the suburbs in major urban areas. I think the Florida state schools and those in the deep south (Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana) would have both the climate and the party atmosphere that you want. California is a lot of fun, but expect universities there to be expensive and public transportation there to be limited (relative to the situation in the East Coast megalopolis).

I am not sure that anyone has said this yet, but Americans I know who have gone to Australia for a semester have gone there to party because, in their experience, Australian schools are less academically demanding than comparably regarded American schools. The moral of the story is, even if you go to a good university in Australia, you might find fairly prestigious American schools like UCLA and USC to be the opposite of a big party, given your expectations.

thanks a lot for the reply, looks of good info.

I'm thinking i may try do my electives for my course while i'm in America if i can so if so studying wouldn't be a problem. If not then i'm still fine with doing a bit of study as long as there is time for fun as well.

SprkE08

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm just going to say come to Arizona State and thank me later. And make sure you're here Fall semester and get season tickets for football.

TallCurvyCutie

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
SDSU (San Diego State University) used to be notorious for partying! I'd say try a California State University (CSU) system school, the cost is much lower than University of California (UC) system schools or private colleges like USC and Chapman. Also, the coursework is less rigorous and the expectations are generally lower, more prestige and effort are attached to attending a UC. Heard mixed reviews on the academic rigors of privates. I don't know too much about CSULA, but it's in Los Angeles. Cal States Long Beach and Fullerton are definitely within reasonable distance of LA if you stay up there for the night or have a designated driver. If you want details about either of those campuses, PM me. Make sure to look into the transferability of units, some universities here likely have agreements with your home institution so credits will count when you get back. Any state university coursework should be accepted by wherever you attend there. Eager to read about your pick and how you got to it! :smile:

Last edited:

D_dbi01yxc

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Surprised I am the first to make this suggestion..... The USC ....University of South Carolina.....home of the Gamecocks (actually its a historical reference....Revolutionary War General...anyway).....all these sweet cute southern girls would melt with that aussie accent they are gorgeous weather is great baseball is awesome and football is on the rise....just couldn't resist the opportunity....good luck have fun wherever you decide!

SprkE08

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
looked it up and it looks awesome :D love the undie run haha.

the undie run is just one of the many reasons I believe you'd have the time of your life here man...keep it open as a possibility and know you've got a contact here should you need some more info!

laxhammer

Just Browsing
Media
I am not sure that anyone has said this yet, but Americans I know who have gone to Australia for a semester have gone there to party because, in their experience, Australian schools are less academically demanding than comparably regarded American schools.

The moral of the story is, even if you go to a good university in Australia, you might find fairly prestigious American schools like UCLA and USC to be the opposite of a big party, given your expectations.

Not sure I agree with this sentiment. I went to a 'prestigious' East Coast University for a year and found the academics to be way less demanding than my course in Australia. I suspect it is different for everyone depending on school, courses, teachers and so on. Also, the Americans that I have known when they come to Australian Universities do not have to achieve certain grades but merely pass/fail so they take classes such as 'Popular Australian Sports' which involves watching sport and writing 'reflective essays'.

Anyway, to the OP, you'll have a great time with our unique accent no matter where you go! ;)

buffcollegeguy21

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you want to party and just have fun while you are here, you should do some googling and search for 'top party schools', you will mostly get a list of big 10 schools, where big football games/pre-game and all day partying are part of college life. If you want a balance of academics and fun I would say check out University of Michigan.

I would have to agree, in the Big Ten school will have big parties and good academics. Check out Indiana University.

SR_Daniel Dangler

Experimental Member
Media
thanks for all the replies everyone! really helpful!

Really hard to decide on a college with so many good options though :S

My main requirements for the college would be:
- I can board at the uni
- Good parties at the uni
- Good women :D
- Gym nearby or on campus ( im sure most would have this though)
- Respectable academics (doesnt need to be major, my degree will still come under my home uni)
- Decent stuff to do outside of the campus.