Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigDallasDick8x6, Sep 12, 2008.

1. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    The pics on the news of the storm surge hitting Galveston are amazing. Supposedly the surge won't hit Houston because it's 50 feet above sea level and the surge is "only" supposed to be 20 to 25 feet.

Anybody in Houston want to do some live reporting for us while you still have power? http://www.lpsg.org/groups/149-bigger-texas/

2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Storm surge is not the Hurricane just how much the sea water is above sea level, this happens even before the storm. Galveston is only like 7 feet above sea level so it got floods long before the Hurricane even got there. Being 50 feet above sea level will have little effect on the Hurricane itself. I see on Yahoo News its predicted to head straight for Houston and will hit the coast sometime by Sat morning with winds possible as much as 111 miles per hour. Good Luck Houston. Good luck Texas.

#2 Deno, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  3. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Our power was out for 12 hours today and we're still experiencing tropical force gusts all the way here in New Orleans where only the edge of this powerful storm grazed us.

I'm so fearful for everyone in Galveston and Houston who are in this storm's path. They've bought into the idea that they're going to be fairly safe in Houston and I pray it is so.

I'll be praying damned hard tonite.

4. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel just now said there are still 24,000 people on Galveston Island. OMG!! Are these people crazy? 20 to 25 ft storm surge and the island is only 7 feet above sea level??

AND after the authorities said anyone in a 1 or 2 story building faces "certain death"?? I hope they're wrong.

5. slcnewlife64

slcnewlife64 New Member

Albums:
    For those are in Houston, which are evacuating now... sending my most sincere pray for you guys!

6. ital8

ital8 New Member

From the sounds of it, it sounds like Ike will be one for the record books. Even though this is "only" a cat 2 one mph away from cat 3 this storm is unique in its size. I can't even believe how big it is. Bigger than Katrina. Jim Cantore said that it is the size of all the New England states put together. Why some people of Galveston decided to say is baffling. I wish everyone who is in its path the best of luck!!! Please keep safe!!

7. transformer_99

Gold Member

Anyone still in Galveston, they simply need to see how Haiti is underwater to realize it's time to leave.

8. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG!!!!!! Did I just see what I thought I saw? Did a naked man just "streak" behind the Weather Channel reporter in Gavelston????????

Draft saved Draft deleted