Hurricane Ike

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The pics on the news of the storm surge hitting Galveston are amazing. Supposedly the surge won't hit Houston because it's 50 feet above sea level and the surge is "only" supposed to be 20 to 25 feet.

Anybody in Houston want to do some live reporting for us while you still have power? http://www.lpsg.org/groups/149-bigger-texas/

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Storm surge is not the Hurricane just how much the sea water is above sea level, this happens even before the storm. Galveston is only like 7 feet above sea level so it got floods long before the Hurricane even got there. Being 50 feet above sea level will have little effect on the Hurricane itself. I see on Yahoo News its predicted to head straight for Houston and will hit the coast sometime by Sat morning with winds possible as much as 111 miles per hour. Good Luck Houston. Good luck Texas.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Our power was out for 12 hours today and we're still experiencing tropical force gusts all the way here in New Orleans where only the edge of this powerful storm grazed us.

I'm so fearful for everyone in Galveston and Houston who are in this storm's path. They've bought into the idea that they're going to be fairly safe in Houston and I pray it is so.

I'll be praying damned hard tonite.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel just now said there are still 24,000 people on Galveston Island. OMG!! Are these people crazy? 20 to 25 ft storm surge and the island is only 7 feet above sea level??

AND after the authorities said anyone in a 1 or 2 story building faces "certain death"?? I hope they're wrong.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
From the sounds of it, it sounds like Ike will be one for the record books. Even though this is "only" a cat 2 one mph away from cat 3 this storm is unique in its size. I can't even believe how big it is. Bigger than Katrina. Jim Cantore said that it is the size of all the New England states put together. Why some people of Galveston decided to say is baffling. I wish everyone who is in its path the best of luck!!! Please keep safe!!