Hurricane Irene

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My relative is a Floridian and lives near Miami. We just got off the phone and she said people are totally lax...calling up and asking if they should board their windows or get supplies! DUH!! Except your a day late in getting anything done!

They have hurricanes in one form or another every year. Only people fairly new to So. Florida call in to ask a stupid ass question like that. Anyone moving to Florida really should at least read about hurricane Andrew...I think that was the name of it. Totally levelled large sections of Miami Dade.

She's really wants to say "There's a f-ing category FOUR hurricane whose mass is five times the size of our state, 100s of miles strong and techincally only three hours away! The projected course can be up to 200 miles off! WTF do YOU think you should do now since you've obvioulsy done nothing to protect yourself? She's pretty frustrated, as you can tell.

Seriously now. I'm thinking our Northern brothers and sisters are woefully unprepared for most things related to the wrath of Mother Nature. Just watching the people during the newscast who panicked during the earthquake yesterday as they all got that clueless look and began running for the door all at the same time had my head shaking. It reminded me of the Great White fire disaster. Seems the outcome of that has been totally forgotten about.

Ya'll are kinda soft and naieve about natural disasters that don't include snowfall.
We do not have a hurricane every year. I have no idea what you are talking about. 2004 and 2005 were very active years. Before that, was Opal in 1995, and Andrew in 1992! I may have only moved down here a little over two years ago, but I have had family all over central Florida and the Gulf coast my whole life, so I have always watched weather alerts about major storms for Florida.

When I lived in NY, I distinctly remember a hurricane giving me a day off school one day late in September, but almost ruining my best friend's birthday slumber party. That Hurricane shared a name with my cousin Gloria. Many hurricanes and tropical storms end up having some affect on New Yorkers, frequently causing massive flooding, power outages, and deaths, just like anywhere else.

I have witnessed pure stupidity here in Florida. How is it that a native New Yorker like me knows that in case of emergency one should have (for example) one gallon of water per day per adult, while people from Haiti, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Florida have asked me if I thought 4-6 gallons of water was good enough storm prep for their entire household? How is it that having only been here long enough to see the weakest tropical storm ever, my first aid kit is far more thoughtful than those kits of people I have questioned?

My sister in law has been down here for seven years, and for five years before that in Puerto Rico. How did she prepare for the storm? She lives on the first floor, in evacuation zone one. She put gasoline in her car, bought a dozen cans of non-perishables, a propane tank (after I asked her to grab one for me) and 4 gallons of water. When questioned, she had no first aid supplies beyond cotton swabs, cotton pads (the kind you use to remove make up or apply toner) and band-aids. She did not get her prescriptions refilled, nor did she take out extra cash in case of power failure (which renders ATMs useless).

My husband lived in PR for only two years (maybe less) because he was in university in CO when his family returned to PR. We had been living in the Boston Metro Area for three years before coming down to Miami. We had three 5-gallon containers to fill with water, a first-aid kit with extra prescription medicine in case of long-term emergency, pain killers, anti-histamines, different kins of bandages and compresses, splints, an eyewash, an eye patch, sun screen and much more stuff (the first aid kit is almost an embarrassment of riches). We have camping gear ready and packed in case we have to evacuate, including a tent, sleeping bags, air pads, wet-start matches and a firestone, a hatchet an machete, a compass, you know, other camping stuff (lots!) and clothes that dry quickly. We had plenty of food, two bags of ice, extra pet food, a full tank of gas and a full gas can (also in case of emergency evac). We didn't buy any of this stuff this week either. It is storm season. We were prepared months ago. The only thing we did last-minute was take out a life insurance policy on my husband's sister. Her planning was piss poor, and in the event of her premature death, her parents would become liable for her student loans. We insured her to offset that for them. We may be a mid-westerner and a New Yorker, but we like to think we're practical.

My observation is that people in general, everywhere, fail to prepare adequately for storms. People who experience them frequently are either stupid or complacent; people who experience them infrequently are either stupid or ignorant. New Yorkers and New Englanders are not any more at a loss for what to do for a storm than people anywhere else. If you watch the local news there, you see images of people out in Queens and Long Island boarding up their windows. You see those same images, only the people are wearing heavy coats, when a nor'easter is expected. A storm is a storm.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I survived the earthquake of 2011. I think I can handle this. Think I'll head to the beach and await its arrival.

C'mon Irene. Do your worst!

D

deleted3782

Folks around the Chesapeake, eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York City area and New England are in for a big blow, and not the good kind. Lots of rain and very high winds. Gloria had winds up to 115mph on the eastern end of Long Island, but had minimal rain because it moved so fast. The wind for Irene could be more focused on NYC, and the storm is moving slower so rain totals could be higher. I understand the tidal cycle is high too, so coastal flooding could be worse than Gloria. Sunday will be an interesting day if the worst comes true. Be safe...we want to see you posting here next week!

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hell, if I lived in NYC or New England, my windows would be boarded up. I'd make a beeline for BevMo to stock up on booze. Then Id get drunk. Maybe have sex with the bf all day too :biggrin1:

HAHAH...thats my kinda plan :biggrin1:

I am a bit concerned that my friends back in DC and NY are having a 'whatever' attitude about this. I dont want to be chicken little about this...but it concerns me. Apathy kills. My employer is setting up a plan to move assets (airplanes) out of DC,Philly,NYC/eastern NY state/Newark and all of N.E. and parking them in Cleveland, Pit, Chicago and Houston starting tonight.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We do not have a hurricane every year. I have no idea what you are talking about. 2004 and 2005 were very active years. Before that, was Opal in 1995, and Andrew in 1992! I may have only moved down here a little over two years ago, but I have had family all over central Florida and the Gulf coast my whole life, so I have always watched weather alerts about major storms for Florida.

When I lived in NY, I distinctly remember a hurricane giving me a day off school one day late in September, but almost ruining my best friend's birthday slumber party. That Hurricane shared a name with my cousin Gloria. Many hurricanes and tropical storms end up having some affect on New Yorkers, frequently causing massive flooding, power outages, and deaths, just like anywhere else.

I have witnessed pure stupidity here in Florida. How is it that a native New Yorker like me knows that in case of emergency one should have (for example) one gallon of water per day per adult, while people from Haiti, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Florida have asked me if I thought 4-6 gallons of water was good enough storm prep for their entire household? How is it that having only been here long enough to see the weakest tropical storm ever, my first aid kit is far more thoughtful than those kits of people I have questioned?

My sister in law has been down here for seven years, and for five years before that in Puerto Rico. How did she prepare for the storm? She lives on the first floor, in evacuation zone one. She put gasoline in her car, bought a dozen cans of non-perishables, a propane tank (after I asked her to grab one for me) and 4 gallons of water. When questioned, she had no first aid supplies beyond cotton swabs, cotton pads (the kind you use to remove make up or apply toner) and band-aids. She did not get her prescriptions refilled, nor did she take out extra cash in case of power failure (which renders ATMs useless).

My husband lived in PR for only two years (maybe less) because he was in university in CO when his family returned to PR. We had been living in the Boston Metro Area for three years before coming down to Miami. We had three 5-gallon containers to fill with water, a first-aid kit with extra prescription medicine in case of long-term emergency, pain killers, anti-histamines, different kins of bandages and compresses, splints, an eyewash, an eye patch, sun screen and much more stuff (the first aid kit is almost an embarrassment of riches). We have camping gear ready and packed in case we have to evacuate, including a tent, sleeping bags, air pads, wet-start matches and a firestone, a hatchet an machete, a compass, you know, other camping stuff (lots!) and clothes that dry quickly. We had plenty of food, two bags of ice, extra pet food, a full tank of gas and a full gas can (also in case of emergency evac). We didn't buy any of this stuff this week either. It is storm season. We were prepared months ago. The only thing we did last-minute was take out a life insurance policy on my husband's sister. Her planning was piss poor, and in the event of her premature death, her parents would become liable for her student loans. We insured her to offset that for them. We may be a mid-westerner and a New Yorker, but we like to think we're practical.

My observation is that people in general, everywhere, fail to prepare adequately for storms. People who experience them frequently are either stupid or complacent; people who experience them infrequently are either stupid or ignorant. New Yorkers and New Englanders are not any more at a loss for what to do for a storm than people anywhere else. If you watch the local news there, you see images of people out in Queens and Long Island boarding up their windows. You see those same images, only the people are wearing heavy coats, when a nor'easter is expected. A storm is a storm.

Wow, AE: you continue to earn my acres of love for you <3

As a life-long New Englander turned now-permanent SoFla resident, I concur with you completely as regards storm preparedness. One of the reasons why I chose my Plan A friend as I did was because he grew up in Beverly, MA and would have everything ready and set should the worst happen.

Your memories of Gloria make me feel old, though. As it was just beginning to hit Boston, I was putting the final touches on preparing the furniture store I was managing in Park Square. As I walked uptown toward my apartment on Huntington Ave I passed the Hancock Tower and remembered its "glass problem": terrified, I raced for the presumed safety of the BPL before a slow crabwalk in stiff winds the rest of the way home and into the waiting arms of my impossible, beautiful South American lover. I was 25 :redface:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not too bad here. I live on the water and see pretty crazy summer storms come through here (slept through Hugo) , and in my community at least, we see the hurricane as a really big summer storm. Most of us ( people in their 20's ) go to the beach or just have a hurricane party. We rarely cancel school for them. I think Floyd was the last time. Got out of class today and the wind had more intensity than the rain but that only lasted for a shhort time. Here it's just an accepted fact of life.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My thoughts are with my American friends as you batten down the hatches in the face of this huge hurricane as your thoughts and well wishes were with me when I faced Cyclone Yasi last season.

Stay safe warm and dry and please don't take silly risks.

darkbond007

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live in the Bahamas and was here during the hurricane. It isnt nearly as bad as the media made it out to be. I've been through far worse. However our homes are built to withstand hurricanes.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live in the Bahamas and was here during the hurricane. It isnt nearly as bad as the media made it out to be. I've been through far worse. However our homes are built to withstand hurricanes.

Bahamas you say? Got an extra bedroom? I need a vacation :biggrin1: