Husbands create 7 hours of extra housework a week

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Husbands create 7 hours of extra housework a week: study

Fri Apr 4, 2008 7:27pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - For married women who can't figure out why they always have so much housework researchers may have the answer -- husbands.

A new study from the University of Michigan shows that having a husband creates an extra seven hours of extra housework a week for women. But a wife saves her husband from an hour of chores around the house each week.

"It's a well-known pattern. There's still a significant reallocation of labor that occurs at marriage -- men tend to work more outside the home, while women take on more of the household labor," said Frank Stafford, of the university's Institute for Social Research (ISR), who directed the study.

"And the situation gets worse for women when they have children," he added in a statement

Stafford's findings are based on 2005 time-diary data from a study on income dynamics that has been conducted since 1968 at ISR.

The researchers studied diaries to assess how people spent their time and questioned men and women about how much time they spend cooking, cleaning and doing basic work around the house.

They found that young single women did the least amount of housework, at about 12 hours a week. Married women in their 60 and 70s did nearly twice that amount, while women with more than three children spent 28 hours a week cleaning, cooking and washing.

But it's not as bad as it used to be. In 1976 women did an average of 26 hours of housework a week, while men did about six, according to the study,

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; editing by Belinda Goldsmith)

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
They kind of gloss over that having a wife adds 10 hours a week to a man's job...

So they can make the extra money that is needed...

...that the men then die early and conveniently leave the money and property to their widows.

Single women may earn 76 cents to every dollar a man earns... but married women get the whole $1.76

I know my wife doesn't want to go out and get a 40 hour week job, just to get out of 7 hours of housework.

Marina67

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Housekeeping has never been one of my strong skills.

Fortunately for me, each of my ex-husbands had higher standards (and needs) for cleaning and socializing (home should at least be presentable for them, but I was a recluse and didn't usually like visitors) so they ended up doing most of the cleaning. They knew that if they didn't do it and expected me to do it, they would be living in a garbage dump before long. I would help out about once or twice a month (sometimes weekly), but regular daily and weekly cleaning was up to them.

One big factor was that I worked two jobs with each husband, so having both the higher income and less real time at home were motivators for them to clean up themselves.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some husbands Do 7 hours of housework a week. Where is it written that a woman has to do all the housework? Im sure im not the only man who helps in this regard.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Housekeeping has never been one of my strong skills.

Fortunately for me, each of my ex-husbands had higher standards (and needs) for cleaning and socializing (home should at least be presentable for them, but I was a recluse and didn't usually like visitors) so they ended up doing most of the cleaning. They knew that if they didn't do it and expected me to do it, they would be living in a garbage dump before long. I would help out about once or twice a month (sometimes weekly), but regular daily and weekly cleaning was up to them.

One big factor was that I worked two jobs with each husband, so having both the higher income and less real time at home were motivators for them to clean up themselves.

Mine neither! I'm about as un-domestic as you can get! :biggrin1: I hope to find a guy who likes to cook and is willing to do cleaning as well. (Now, I will do my share of the cleaning if need be... but I don't want to be the ONLY one to do it.) Of course, my ideal would be to have a housekeeper! :smile: Since I rarely do housework except for laundry (yes, I'm a slob and my place is in pretty bad shape!)...

Unfortunately, my job/income situation isn't that great. I'd like it to be, but I work off and on in temp jobs for right now. I have two temp jobs now and they're going to wear me out! (If I'm not on here much for the next couple of weeks it's because I'm working 60-70 hour weeks!) I've always been much more career-oriented than home-oriented, although now I'm simply survival-oriented!

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The 7 extra hours of housework don't come anywhere close to offsetting the countless hours of bitching and needling we men have to endure. The ensuing psychological damage far outweighs a few odd jobs around the house. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :biggrin1:

pantano

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Even if we men do more in the house the woman will not be satisfied as we never do it as they want it to be, this is not clean enough, that does not belong on that place this should be like this.

women did an average of 26 hours of housework a week

thats still a lot of hours less then we spend working to bring some cash in

and if she also has a job then get a cleaner to do it for you.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Even if we men do more in the house the woman will not be satisfied as we never do it as they want it to be, this is not clean enough, that does not belong on that place this should be like this.

I've mentioned this to the Mrs. a time or two...she can choose who gets to handle a job, or how it gets handled...but not both.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have many: :tongue:
Some men are more trouble than they are worth.
Being single isn't so bad.
Men are like children, only bigger and more destructive.

And yet, you are looking for one!

I don't do housework, other than cleaning up my corner, but I do 99% of the cooking, my wife does the dishes and about 4x a year she cleans the house - if we are expecting company. We both have jobs and lead a somewhat minimalist existence. I work 60-80 hours a week and she only works 40 so she gets to go skiing, bicycling and hiking in her spare time, which is her highest priority.