Hydrocele question

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by 3345, Jun 19, 2008.

1. 3345

3345 New Member

Hi everyone.. first post, but it's kind of an important one.

I have a hydrocele and its probably about the size of a baseball. I'm going in to see the urologist on Monday to hopefully get the surgery scheduled.

I've done all my research and have read hundreds of articles and posts online but I still have one question. Does your ball sac return to a normal size after having been kind of stretched from a hydrocele? If so, how long does it take to return to normal size?

2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    welcome to the site man. and good luck to you

3. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

This is a mixed bag, the variables would include your age and the duration of time that the scrotum has been stretched out to it's present size. The older you are the less likely the scrotum will return to it's pre-stretched size. I had a friend in HS who ended up with this and in his case, his parents medical coverage delayed the surgery far longer than they should have, after the surgery was done he had some skin flapping in the breeze for a while. There was some retraction over time, but in all honesty it did not go back to the original size. I don't remember him having any complaints or problems with the extra skin however.

Good luck with your sugery!

4. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    Mine returned to noral size rather quickly....but my hydrocele was not as big as yours.

5. 3345

3345 New Member

I'm 19 and I've had the hydrocele for about 5 years, though not nearly as big. I just don't want to have a flappy sac for the rest of my life, hahaha.

Thanks for all the help so far.

6. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I have one too, had it for years. Keep us updated on your progress.

7. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

My bro had one and had to have surgery. It was the only time he ever had even the appearance of balls. The rest of the time, his float in the tub. wuss

8. 3345

3345 New Member

Just got back from the urologist.

He said that it was either a hydrocele or hernia. He scheduled me an ultrasound for tomorrow morning.

He said that if it is a hydrocele, when I go for surgery I might stay overnight with a drain placed in after the surgery because of its size and blood vessels involved as opposed to outpatient.

He goes on vacation tomorrow though for a week, meaning nothing can be done until he gets back. I need something done ASAP, so I'm going to try to call around and see if anyone can do anything better.

9. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    If you have a relationship with this DR...I mean like he is family doc etc....just wait. It is not going to go anywhere.

Mine was not as large as yours....baseball size....but it was like having 4 or 5 extra testicles where I should have one. It was not really painful as such but did get pinched frequently which was not a real treat, if you know what I mean.

The ultrasound is painless. Tech will rub some gel on your scrot and then rub this cold metal thing around on it. You sould be able to lay there and see the pics. I am pierced and the female tech noticed, could not help but notice, and said those look nice. I did not have the scrotal piercing, got that when everything was back to normal....

I had a drain in mine....really nothing more then a piece of rubber tube. If you get a drain you will have to keep a sponge, i.e. gauze, on it. I also got an old man suspensory, kind of like a jock with a hole for your penis to stick out of, to hold everything up close and personal. My recovery time was pretty quick. Done on an outpatient basis. Went in at like 8 and out by noon or so. I took it easy for a couple of days. Relax and enjoy the pain meds too.....I think I got Vicoden.

10. 3345

3345 New Member

Just got back from the hospital for my ultra sound. Now THAT was weird. Not a bad weird, just kind of weird.

Can't wait for my urologist to get back from vacation so he can give me the results and let me know where to go from here. They said the earliest they might be able to fit me in for the surgery would be around July 20th-ish.

My job asked me when I go for surgery how long it would be. I told them one to two weeks, closer to two weeks probably (just due to the size of mine). How long was everyone else out of work for?

Also, I go back to class around the end of August. I hope I'm not too swollen by then still?

11. 3345

3345 New Member

Just got a call... Ultra sound results came back REAL fast (about 4 and a half hours when the lady told me 2-3 days).

It's hydrocele. No mention of a hernia. My surgery is July 7th.

12. lostmopar

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Northeast, cold in December and hot in June
    Verified:
    Photo
    Don't mean to sound nieve, but whats a hydrocele?

13. SteveHd

Gold Member

14. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

i had a hydrocele develop after vasectomy in 1990. my right nut got to be baseball size. i properly followed the doctor's instructions for the vasectomy, but this developed about a month after. the doctor drained it once, but it was back in 24 hours. so I got a second opinion, and had surgery in the hospital, stayed over night. i asked the second doctor about outpatient surgery, and he said no way, risk of infection. as he said, "there your balls, you don't want to lose them do you"?. i had a drain tube that the doctor pulled out 3 days later. and when i say "pulled", he yanked it out. the doctor asked me if I wanted it pulled fast or slow, I said fast. he said, "okay, on 3." ha!ha! doctor pulled on "1". my legs shook uncontrollably for 5 minutes after he pulled the tube. my nut sack went back to normal in a few days, the stitches all dissolved except one, and it got to be like a zit, popped it. gross, i know.

the only benefit to that whole process, was I had one hell of pants bulge. if i walked into a bar, I could meet all the women who were "looking" in 15 minutes. i had women buy me drinks, women stand and stare at my crotch. I have always been a grower, not much of a shower, but with this attention, I was hanging about 1/2 mast anyway. my wife would get jealous until she realized what was going on. she played along and told some of these women, that I was huge, a foot long at least.

the worst part of course was that it was too tight, too big. sex was painful unless i was on top, and that's okay. but my wife likes the top also and gets to bouncing on my cock and that was painful.

good luck. don't worry. take the antibiotics, the meds, wear support, and take it easy til healed up. you will have a nice "zipper" scar on your nut sack, shows what tough guy you are.

15. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    If I would have been at a "normal" job, instead of instructing for the military, probably been out the rest of the day and the next day, so 1 1/2 days. I used tea tree oil and jojoba oil on the incision. Did what is called a "hard rub", really rubbed the two oils into the healed incision for a couple of weeks. Did not leave much scar. GROSS ALERT!!!! All but one of my stitches dissolved....it was a lump and I knew what it was so just made a tiny cut and pulled it, the stitch, out with some tweezers.

16. 3345

3345 New Member

I had my surgery this morning. It wasn't horrible, but definitely not something I want to do again. I haven't had the stomach to look at myself yet. I took a quick peak and that was enough for me.

I go back tomorrow so that he can change the dressings, then again on Wednesday so that he can remove the drain. It seems my scrotum has gotten hard... Hope that's normal.

17. mcrw

mcrw New Member

You'll have to post before and after pictures. Good luck!

18. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hope all went well. Give us an update first chance you get.

19. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    hope all went well...the firmness you are feeling is just normal swelling....lots of fluids in the area right now. The swelling will go down but it will take some time...just be patient.

20. 3345

3345 New Member

I went in to the doc's office today so he could change my bandages since he left a drain in me. He poked around at my balls so bad, I was almost in tears- I was clenching my teeth, my hands, everything. The nurse gave me a look like 'im so sorry he's doing this to you'. He removed a few stitches so that I could just pull the drain out at home myself tomorrow. I didn't even notice he was removing stitches because I was in so much pain from him poking at my swollen package.

I got down off the table and had to sit down in the room for about 5 minutes to let the pain subside, then went back out to the waiting room and sat for another 5 minutes.

I'm kind of weirded out that I need to remove the drain myself. It's probably gonna hurt pretty bad. :-X

Draft saved Draft deleted