Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I've always known about those professional medical treatments for hysteria, aka, giving a woman an orgasm and charging a co-pay for it. My favorite part in the article was:

"Women considered to be suffering from it exhibited a wide array of symptoms including faintness, nervousness, insomnia, fluid retention, heaviness in abdomen, muscle spasm, shortness of breath, irritability, loss of appetite for food or sex, and "a tendency to cause trouble".

Female hysteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would you pay someone to relieve your hysteria this way back then?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

I wonder if they knew how to duplicate this at home afterwards or if they thought it was too embarrassing to masturbate or have their husbands do anything that wasn't relate to intercourse/baby making. I love the old advertisements "Vibration is Life"

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Olga Steponyatova

Just Browsing
Media
Wasn't it shortly after this treatment became popular that department stores began to carry vibrators en masse before they became banned for being "obscene" or something? Crazy to think of how draconian views of female sexuality used to be. There was even a time when women were forbidden from riding bicycles because the image was purported to be too suggestive! :boggled:

Sign me up for one of those old school vibrators though! Puts the stuff in my treatment regiment to shame :yumyum:

ThickMeatJacker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MR... I am opening a clinic to treat women with Hysteria. I have been certified by the State of Wisconsin to perform such treatments. I would like to offer you a discount on your first service. I thought I would put some of my natural talents to work!

syphon80

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or table skirts that were created so men didn't get turned on by the sexy table legs. LOL

Furniture-leg covers are a myth originally peddled, ironically, by an English travel writer demonstrating American prudishness to his British audience.

I think most women with hysteria nowadays, are making men pay for there treatments :p

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am positive that if I had lived back then that I would have been locked up for being too uppity! But maybe they would have given me one of those 10 horsepower vibrators for therapy.

AlisonWand

Experimental Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
What I fine annoying about the whole thing, is how the diagnosis of hysteria just disappeared from the scene and nobody is prescribing masterbation anymore as a cure for all those irritations. Don't know about other ladies, but I find that sometime I am just irritated and when I get that it's "that itch" and go and "jerk off" I am much more relaxed after. Nothing like a good orgasm to chill you out and smile back at life.

You go to the doctor these days with some depression and you get out with a prescription for Prozac or something like that... Instead they should give you a vibrator! Or even better, hook you up with a man who can...

Rant over...

Alison xxx

AlisonWand

Experimental Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

D_Olga Steponyatova

Just Browsing
Media
I think the reason they got rid of the hysteria title is that it wasn't a bonafide medical condition. It was just a sort of catch-all for issues hitherto unexplainable. Another problem is it linked dysfunction to sex in a misleading way and singled out our gender.

Masturbation might alleviate all those problems, but what matters is if it actually cures or prevents them in the long run.

Last edited:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Orgasms are the cure for EVERYTHING

Actually, orgasms are really good for migraine headaches if you get have one fairly early on (before the puking starts!). I've had a neurologist tell me that. :biggrin1: