I Admit: Palin's Probably Not Ready

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stratedude, Sep 13, 2008.

1. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am a conservative republican that voted for Bush twice, and support McCain for president this November. And I am willing to admit, that Palin is probably not completely ready to take over as president right now, or probably befor 2010. But there are some reasons why I am voting for McCain anyway:

#1) I think it is fair to say, that no matter who you are, whether you are a far right conservative or a far left liberal, that we can all agree at least that Obama is of similar experience level as Palin. Even if you want to sit here and argue all day about how Obama has more experience or more relavent experience, nobody in their right mind would say that he is 'a lot more' experienced. That being said, Obama is required and expected to execute the office of the head honch, the big cheese, the number one guy on day one if elected. And if you are going to sit here and expect me to go ahead and vote for an inexperienced guy for THE President spot, because the other guy has a VP that isn't experienced, you must have lost your entire mind!!!! What kind of lunacy is that? If I'm to vote for the experienced guy over the inexperienced guy, then a McCain vote is a NO BRAINER.

#2) I believe that the odds of Palin needing to take over as president before she is ready (2010 maybe?) are are low enough that the risk of voting for the other inexperienced guy far outweighs the risk of electing the experienced guy with the inexperienced back-up. Like Biden says: "The office of the presidency does not lend itself to on the job training." I agree with this statement 100% and it is my humble opinion that the position of VICE president DOES lend itself to on the job training.

So keep on screaming about inexperience Democrats, because it plays right into our hands.

2. B_New End

B_New End New Member

Its more than she is not ready, she is also not educated on the issues of foreign affairs or economics.

When negotiating with world leaders, she will end up crossing alliances, bungling negotiations, and will have a lack of understanding of many of the underlying histories of the peoples she is representing America to.

I think, there are at least 20 Million Americans more qualified, and more well read on foreign policy than she is. Two years is not long enough to get a degree in political science/international relations... especially when someone has no background.
    Worse, the people she will be up against will have spent their entire lives in the world of geopolitics. She will get eaten alive, and nothing she would say could be taken as word, because everybody would know she has no clue about what she is talking about, what America is capable of, or what other countries can offer in return for favors or trade agreements. She is completely naive.

It was reckless and selfish of McCain to play Russian roulette with the presidency in the hope it might get him the presidency. What good is experience if you don't use it wisely?

3. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Man,

What I don't get is that obsession with McCain's croaking in office on day one.

Longevity has increased since our grandpas' day (my grandpa just died at age 91). Look at McCain's mom!

As for Obama, some (mostly on the ultra-left) have raving fantasies about his straight-to-martyrdom assassination, so that would leave Biden, that old-timer Washington bore nobody wanted, to lead us?

4. sargon20

Gold Member

Because if he is elected at the end of his term he will be the oldest president to serve ever.

5. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Obama is A LOT more experienced. I would go for 12 years in the State Senate of one of the largest states in the U.S. and 4 years in the U.S. Senate representing one of the largest U.S. states over 2 years as governor of a state with a very, very small population and serving as mayor of tiny town. As a former journalist, I covered many mayors of small towns, and most of them are well-meaning but hapless, and/or unethical, and/or are idiots. Doesn't anyone wonder why state senators and former state senators are often elected governors of their states, while small town mayors are almost never elected governor of any state?

6. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Since when is an election decided on EXPERIENCE instead of POLICIES!

I hear a lot of people say oh she's so experienced but totally ignore her policies and don't care that her extremist religious and personal beliefs do more harm than good.

Her experience is jaded by her own restrictive views. What good is it electing someone who in the 'wisdom' of their perceived experience would ban abortions or enact some other equally ridiculous policy.

Also as New End has said she's not the sharpest knife in the drawrer as it is. Nor is McCain. His own friend admitted he only knows the 'basics' of economics. Which is good to know.

7. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    ...and?

I was under the impression liberals were about diversity, tolerance and acceptance of the "different"...

8. sargon20

Gold Member

And it's a legitimate concern. And who said this was a 'liberal vs right wing' concern? Ahh but I see any concern MUST be the work of liberals.

And even IF you remove the 'age' issue the fact remains SHE'S NOT READY. Biden can at least say he knows more about how Washington and the world works.

Of course no one dare say it but how is a mother with five kids and one Down Syndrome infant be VP and president stand-by and a mother? She can be Wonder Woman all she wants but there is still only 24 hrs in a day. Added all the night classes she's going to have to take in 'How to be a VP' since she didn't know a month ago.

#8 sargon20, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Actually, the U.S. historically chose someone who had both the right experience AND the most popular policies. Why is it necessary to choose between someone with lots of experience and crappy policies (McCain) and someone with popular policies and little experience (Obama), when we could have had someone with lots of experience and popular policies (Democrats: Biden, Dodd, Richardson; Republicans: hmmmmm, they seemed to have a short bench this year--"seven dwarves")

10. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have to agree with Domisoldo about the whole McCain dropping dead bit. I don't see it happening really. But I suppose you can say that even so, she is supposed to be qualified as the president, because there is always (no matter who) the chance that the VP will have to step up. That could go both ways of course.

11. Ldnn

Ldnn Member

Albums:
    I posted something similar in another thread, and yes, a lot of it comes down to this point.

You do, however, need someone capable of enacting policies and who is able and willing to pursue less than popular methods of running a country in a recession. You can't just keep providing tax breaks and declaring war on countries.. at some point you do need to reign in spending.

12. sargon20

Gold Member

The life expectancy of a male in the US is about 75. So McCain will exceed that number while in office. Why is that so difficult to ask 'what if'?

Your trip computer says range=300 miles. Your trip is 350 miles. So you sit back and say I'm not concerned?

13. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.................

I think you just made a great arguement for Palin there.

THANKS!!!!

14. anon9999978

anon9999978 Member

Straitdude, this argument you're making makes no sense at all. First of all, how do you know what the chances of McCain dying are? The guy's had cancer five times. And he's really, really old. I think any doctor or actuarial would tell you that those two factors make it more likely that McCain will die sooner than someone who'se younger and hasn't had face cancer five times.

But putting aside the objective probability that McCain will die during the next four years, which I believe are higher than you think, why would you take the chance? The next president, whoever he is, might get struck by lightning. If that happens, the VP becomes president. If Obama is elected that means Biden will be president. Agree or disagree with the Dems, Biden has experience. If McCain is elected, that means Palin becomes president. And you yourself admit she's not ready.

So your vote is a vote to gamble on the future of our country. That's a shame, because I'm not a gambler but you're screwing me over with your vote.

If you're like Palin and don't know what the VP is supposed to do, I'll tell you. The VP is supposed to (i) be ready to assume the presidency if the president dies in office and (ii) break a tie vote in the senate. Clearly (i) is the more important thing, but you're admitting she's not ready to do it. Why would a presidential nominee choose someone who is not prepared to be president as a running mate? Well, it must be because the nominee needs the running mate for their ticket to be elected in the first place. Putting an unprepared person a heartbeat away from the presidency doesn't sound like putting America first to me. It sounds like McCain putting himself first. Republicans should be ashamed.

15. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

If you watched the ABC interview she did with Charlie Gibson, then you're well aware of how her inexperience could really present a problem in the White House if McCain were to be elected. Palin's going to have to go up against and talk to way tougher people than one journalist on one mainstream media network. If she couldn't get through that, then how the hell is she going to stand up to world leaders?

Believe me. It's admirable to see a woman make history. For Palin, for Clinton too. James Carville hit the nail on the head when he said that if Republicans wanted to court women by electing a female VP, then he could have done better with Snowe or Bailey Hutchinson. No, instead he gives us Palin for who know what reason why, and he made his choice that more transparent and condescending. Never mind that there are probably way more women who can't relate to someone eating moose.

I don't care if McCain is as healthy as Jack LaLaine; the idea is that his recklessness and brash decision-making is something he's deliberately covering up to promote this whole "reform" / "change" business (well after Obama's been running on that platform AND being honest about it). I have yet to see credentials to suggest that either Palin or McCain really believe in reform. They talk a game, but their voting records suggest otherwise. And I think when the debates are televised, you're going to learn and learn quickly that America is tired of getting lied to.

16. anon9999978

anon9999978 Member

DeeBlack, I completely agree. The saddest part of McCain's choice is that, three years ago, I really did still believe he was a maverick and could have seen myself voting for him under some circumstances. But when he chose Palin in order to galvanize the evangelical base of the Republican party, a group of people who he had never cowtoed to before and who had never supported him before, I saw that he is just another pol. He should be ashamed.

17. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    What the hell did you expect? The woman was obviously a bit nervous and robotic on her first time out. One's ability to deal with world leaders cannot be gleaned from one interview, just as it can't from a series of "awe-inspiring" speeches. Please explain to me how it is that you're so comfortable with Obama's (in)experience that it won't also present a problem in the White House.

18. Redsquall

Redsquall New Member

I agree, although I like many things about Governor Palin, she's not ready to be President.

19. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

I'm not entirely comfortable with Obama's inexperience. But he's proven, beyond a doubt, that he's thought deeply about the big issues the next president will have to deal with, and that he understands the histories and the facts behind those issues.

Sarah Palin has not shown that she can think deeply, period. Like President Bush, she does not seem to value thinking or obtaining knowledge, and prefers to reach conclusions through prayer and gut instinct. Those things have their place, but by themselves they just don't cut it.

What's more, Sarah Palin is a secessionist (in other words, a traitor); a member of a crazy church whose members speak in tongues and roll around on the floor; and worst of all, a typical Alaskan -- a hypocrite who prattles on about individualism while her state is almost 100% a product of welfare, and a uniquely sociopathic sort of anti-environmentalist who gets a little rebellious thrill from raping the land and slaughtering the wildlife.

It is hard to imagine anyone more unAmerican than Sarah Palin. Teddy Roosevelt is puking in his grave at the thought of her leading the Republican Party.

20. sargon20

Gold Member

The McCain of today is not the McCain on yesterday. He did a Hail Mary and it isn't working. In fact NOTHING is working from the old Karl Rove playbook.

Draft saved Draft deleted