I adopted a soldier

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Barbi_Queue, Nov 6, 2005.

1. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

My husband did a 6 month cruise to the Persian Gulf some odd years ago and one of the highlights of his day/week/month was receiving mail. It sucks being over there and away from your family for that long, especially around the holidays.

So I read in the local paper a couple weeks ago where one of the soldiers came back and started this program that hooks civilians up with soldiers and you basically "adopt one" and commit to writing a letter at least once a month. I figure that I at least have enough time for that, especially if it will make that much of a difference in someone's live that's going through a hardship right now. Plus I figure it'll also be a neat way to meet someone interesting.

http://www.mysoldier.com/index.html

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

That's a good program, TAG. Nothing makes a soldier who's far from home happier than mail.

My son-in-law, who got out of the Marines a couple of years ago, just got notice that he's been activated. He's got until January to get things in order before he makes a 1-year trip to Iraq. The thing is, he and my daughter are actually glad. They miss the military life. [​IMG]

What would be great would be to find an LPSG member over there that we could write to. (Whatever happened to our buddy GusHiggins?)

If any of you lurkers are accessing LPSG from Iraq, speak up.

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I adopted an AK-47 once.

4. D_Barbi_Queue

Thanks Pecker. What made me want to do it was something that one of the interviewed said in the newspaper article: she felt very sad about the way the soldiers were treated when they came back from Vietnam. She didn't want the soldiers of today to experience the same ugliness that they did back then, so she felt compelled to help out any way she could.

Whether one agrees with the war or not, the soldiers DO need our support and know that we care for them.

I wish your son well.

Rock - nothing surprises me with you anymore. ha/ha

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

I think the air force oughta offer a program in which people can sign up to "adopt" a Mk80 bomb. the "parent" could then receive heartwarming letters about where it was dropped and how many ragheads it blew to bits.

6. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ragheads!?
    Bitter much?

7. Dr Rock

Gold Member

"persons of sartorial dish-drying" then

8. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I prefer "sand niggers."

9. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Yes, TAG, the soldiers do need your support. Black ones specifically.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Black Americans make up smaller share of military

By Dave Moniz, USA TODAY Fri Nov 4, 7:49 AM ET

Long a mainstay of the military, black Americans have made up a shrinking share of enlisted troops since 2000,
    Pentagon statistics show. (Related: African-American enlistment drops)

The number of black enlisted troops has declined significantly in three military branches from 2000 through 2004 - by 15% in the Army, 23% in the Marines and 11% in the Air Force. The Navy&#39;s number fell only slightly. The overall size of all four branches has stayed roughly the same.

A major reason for the trend is a sharp drop in blacks joining the military, according to a Pentagon analysis conducted in response to questions from USA TODAY. During the four-year period, African-American recruits in all four services fell nearly a third, from 38,034 in 2000 to 26,170 in 2004.

Other factors include a rise in black college attendance and the fact that the war in
    Iraq is more unpopular among blacks than among whites, according to public opinion polls.

The Army has been hit hardest by the declining number of black recruits. The Army repeatedly missed its recruiting goals this year. The service expects more problems in 2006.

Curtis Gilroy, who oversees the Pentagon&#39;s active-duty military recruiting, calls the drop in black recruits partly a "good-news story." It shows many minorities now have career options outside the military.

The share of enlisted blacks in the Army fell from 29% in 2000 to 25% in 2004.

David Segal, a University of Maryland military sociologist, says the Army will have to "reduce its dependence on African-Americans" and recruit more whites and Hispanics.

The percentage of Hispanics in the Army who aren&#39;t officers grew from 9% in 2000 to 11% in 2004. Hispanics are the nation&#39;s largest minority group, but they have lower high school graduation rates than other groups. That makes it harder for them to enlist, Segal says.

Fewer than 5% of enlistees aren&#39;t high school graduates.[/b][/quote]
    Michael Moore must be scratching his head. "Du-hur, when did they stop targeting poor minorities to send to war doydoy?"

10. Shelby

Gold Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Nov 8 2005, 08&#58;32 AM) [post=359137]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I prefer "sand niggers."
    [/b][/quote]

Dune coons

11. D_Barbi_Queue

Sorry Dilz, I could only request male or female....they wouldn't let me select ethnicity. ;)

12. MsLulu

MsLulu New Member

Awesome, Texass! I was looking for something like this. Now I have a soldier to adopt. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted