I ain't a gonna teech yas iffins yer Muslim (or voted for Obama)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Oct 28, 2011.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

I rarely view Yahoo. In fact I probably view it as often as USA Today, which is like, uh . . . never? But I had to check an old e-mail account for something someone who doesn't understand the Internet insists she sent to me in an e-mail and she sent it to an ancient Yahoo e-mail address.

But something caught my eye. It seems a certified hand gun instructor had a radio advertisement pulled after about a week wherein he insisted if you voted for Obama or were a Muslim he would refuse to teach you gun safety. It seems it's his guaranteed Constitutional right. Hmmmm. . . . granted, he's got a Constitutional right to be as dumb as he want's to be. But should he be allowed to discriminate against on the basis of who one votes for or their religion?

See: Radio ad refuses service to Obama supporters, Muslims | kvue.com Austin

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well. as a life-long service professional (apparel and furniture sales and design, now an employee at a publicly-licensed liquor-serving dive), I've always held sacrosanct my right to refuse service to anyone at any time at my sole discretion: it's essentially Service 101.

However, I've read much scoffing of any such right on the intrawebs, here and elsewhere. It'd be interesting to know how equal accommodation laws square with such a long-standing understanding within the service industry. I understand, for instance, that florists can decline to do a gay marriage on religious grounds (though the whole concept sounds ludicrous to me, personally).

NB: in my 30+ years serving the public, I've only ever refused service three times, and, at least in my opinion, justifiably so. Once was in a furniture store where some people (who hadn't actually purchased anything) insisted that I respect their concerns about wood-grain variation on a custom-made piece they were considering, and twice because they were too intoxicated as to be comprehensible.

3. houtx48

Gold Member

I saw a picture of this guy and it makes me so proud to share a state with him, although I wonder where he finds potato chips that big to wear as a hat.

4. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
  5. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

His business, his rules.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Discrimination based on who you voted for is dumb but probably legal. Refusing service to a customer based on religion isn't. What would be your response if he refused service to Jews?

7. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, for starters I would refuse to share my recipe for borscht with him. His loss. Major loss. :smile:

8. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I wonder how much loss of business this results in for him. Probably very little, if any.

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yah. Fuck him.

10. lucky8

Gold Member

Bigots are everywhere...1 man's decision to be less profitable is hardly news-worthy

11. Who_Dun_It

Who_Dun_It New Member

Depending on how people are in that area, that might earn him more business, although I wouldn't trust somebody with his attitude with a dull pocket knife let alone a fire arm.

12. houtx48

Gold Member

He would think it was Commie food......................

13. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I doubt he is any less profitable because of this.

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    As Fats Waller used to say: one never knows, does one?

15. houtx48

Gold Member

I think he lives in Ft Worth which I doubt is the a liberal bastion of west central Texas

16. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    One can consider a variety of factors and make a logical guess.

17. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    This from the website -- "After hearing of Keller's ad, The Texas Department of Public Safety released the following statement:
    "The Texas Department of Public Safety certifies individuals to teach coursework and provide training required to be taken by individuals seeking to qualify for a Texas concealed handgun license. Certified instructors are required to comply with all applicable state and federal statutes. Conduct by an instructor that denied service to individuals on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion would place that instructor’s certification by the Department at risk of suspension or revocation. The Department became aware of the statements in question yesterday and has begun an investigation into the matter. The Department will take appropriate administrative action based on the findings from the investigation."

The bolds & underlines are mine! I'd be interested in the follow-up!! I'm sure out West they're gonna use this as a "test" case! BTW -- I wonder if he's also gonna be willing to teach Christian extremists who want to murder abortion doctors!!!???

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

Vince, I'm trying to follow up on what happens to the gun safety twit. But so far . . . nothing. However, remember that Texas is NOT the West and it is not the South and it is a poor imitation of both.

Draft saved Draft deleted