I always find it strange how men never work legs

I worked legs with my shoulders today - 9 sets of 80-90kg squats (variations of squat) followed by 4 sets of calf raises on the barbell with 150kg. Will work them again on Thursday.

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am making some progress now, but even though I can do a few of the machines at higher weights and reps than my trainer has asked me to, it's quite slow. I think legs are hard-gain muscles, more than say pecs and shoulders are.

Legs day is still the one where I do definitely feel bad, sometimes both whilst actually doing it, and the next day or so ...

But still. I guess I am lucky to be able to do this stuff at all, at my age ( 50 next week ), and after a somewhat difficult medical history.

IMG_8531.jpg

Reactions: steel33

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am making some progress now, but even though I can do a few of the machines at higher weights and reps than my trainer has asked me to, it's quite slow. I think legs are hard-gain muscles, more than say pecs and shoulders are.

Legs day is still the one where I do definitely feel bad, sometimes both whilst actually doing it, and the next day or so ...

But still. I guess I am lucky to be able to do this stuff at all, at my age ( 50 next week ), and after a somewhat difficult medical history.

View attachment 389661

Quads looking great.

Reactions: Exbiker

j91

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Leg day is a must for me anyway, its just as important than the upper body probably more so, its all looking balanced not that cartoon look, I have pics in my album that show my big thighs and for all those interested the middle leg aswell

not_brand_x

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I just started a gym routine for the first time in my last about a month ago. At the very least, dedicating time to working on my legs provides some variety in the routine and gives other areas of my body (which is still getting used to the whole gym thing) time to recover.

This seems like an odd generalisation. Everyone I work with who hits the gym, regularly trains legs at least once a week. Obviously there's the joking about skipping leg day but everyone realises how important it is.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That's very kind of you.

Of all the people who I'd like to be able to emulate, body wise, you're near the top of the list :)

Now I'm blushing. :oops: :D

This is the guy I want to look like. Unfortunately he got busted for PEDs.

13e2a-1410872951_ca638df82d_o.jpg

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Valley of the Sun Mobile Home Park (United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think this entire thread is partially a myth. As was said by @Hieronymous, people work their legs more today then they used to 10 years ago. Also as said by @MilkDaddy, leg size can depend on genetics too (also supported by people stating that they have naturally bigger legs to start with). Without working out my legs have always been big. Working out makes them even bigger. I've seen guys with "smaller" legs that can lift considerably more than me. So on a topical level one would say that I work out my legs harder than the guy with small legs even though the opposite may be true simply because their genetics don't have their legs bulk as much as my genetics do?

This is not to condone the people with 57" chests and 15" thighs... I'm just saying sometimes it is easy to assume and snuff people for having "disproportions." We all have disproportions - I have an incredibly difficult time building mass in my chest.

And what does it matter anyways if someone wants to hammer out only upper-body exercises? What does it matter if you don't like how they look? Obviously they do like what they are doing so why judge their goals? At least that is what I think about it all.

With all that said, I do think that there is some science behind working out your legs and that helping the rest of your body gain by triggering more testosterone and growth hormones. So if people's main goals are a bigger upper body then it'd help them to do lower body exercises just for the boost.

@Exbiker You aren't looking like the guy in the post above from @twoton but it can be seen that you work your legs. Post some pictures of you standing as I think that is a better judgement of your legs (point your toes out slightly so your quads can flare). ;)

• Love
Reactions: deleted3155011

blakemilan

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm squatting 185 lbs, I'm 160-165 lbs. Tho I was born with big thighs and decent calves already so really I can get away with skipping it a week or 2.

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Valley of the Sun Mobile Home Park (United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm squatting 185 lbs, I'm 160-165 lbs. Tho I was born with big thighs and decent calves already so really I can get away with skipping it a week or 2.
I think comments like this prove my point about genetic dispositions and why this whole thread is fairly bunk and full of baseless assumptions.

Reactions: deleted3155011

SillyGayBoy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have always had large legs and do a lot of cardio with my workouts. I suppose my upper body is smaller by comparison but we are supposed to have large legs to carry us around so I don't find it unproportional. Guys love my ass. I have difficulty getting arm muscles to stick around the same.

Swimming is great because it leans and tightens things up. Lifts the ass and works the entire chest and stomach. Makes ass very large too. Works the full leg.

I love leg day.

Legs are your foundation. If you aren't working legs, everything else will lag behind.

working out legs also gets your body to produce more testosterone than working out upper body muscle groups.

lastly, all muscles rely on each other. If you are ignoring legs and core, while going increasingly heavy in upper body, you are putting more strain on your hips and lower back.
Absolutely - I agree