I am a Survivor!!! Are You?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Today, February 17, 2007 is the one year anniversary of the phone call. I will never forget it.

I was sitting in the food court of the Oxford Valley Mall eating sesame green beans and chicken with broccoli on white rice when my gynecologist called me. He told me I had vulvar cancer and would need surgery as soon as possible.

Most people would have gone to pieces right on the spot. But I am a Jersey Girl...we don't operate that way. The best and safest place I could have been at that moment was at the mall. I lost my appetite, but did manage to call my mom and let her know the diagnosis. She did what my mom does...which is go into denial. We had been awaiting test results for two weeks so hearing something, anything was a bit of a relief at least for me.

I bought PowerBall tickets, left the food court & purchased birthday gifts for my recently turned 5 yr old cousin (he is the light of my life) and purchased some stuff for myself at Lane Bryant. Then I went home and had a large glass of white merlot.

So how about it folks who else is a survivor of a dread disease? How did/do you cope?

njqt466

For more of the gorey details see my blog.

2. kamikazee_club

kamikazee_club New Member

That's awful. I'm rather surprised that you were given that sort of diagnosis over the telephone, it seems rather unprofessional to me but I guess it depends on the nature of the relationship with your OBYGN.

Glad you're still around. I swear a key part of the outcome of a battle against any serious illness starts lies in the mind.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

My gyn is pretty cool, he knew I couldn't last through another weekend w/o knowing. The labs had to be re-assessed so I had been waiting 14 days already. Two more days and I would have been camped out on the office door step.:redface: :tongue:

4. BJT

BJT New Member

When I was 11 I traveled with my parents down to Omaha, Nebraska to meet with the transplant coordinators at the Leed Transplant Center. I was put on the list in the number 2 spot. The higher up you are the more life threatening it is and the sooner you need the organ. Kind of hard to comprehend at 11 when all I knew was that I never had energy and I always felt crappy.

Few weeks later the phone rings at 12:03 (midnight) for some reason I was awake and picked it up. It was my doctor from Omaha telling me to start packing and get to Nebraska as soon as possible. That night was a blur but it changed my life for the better.

Its surprising what doctors will tel you over the phone.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I'm sorry about your bad news, njqt, but your positive attitude will carry you a long way toward recovery.

My family, which previously had no history of the Big C, has been hit hard in the last couple of years. An aunt died of pancreatic cancer a couple of years ago, then my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer (she had both breasts removed and is in the final stages of treatment,) and now my mother has been told that she has a large malignant tumor on a kidney.

6. DGirl

Gold Member

:eek: ..." Sorry to hear that..' Is it GONE now ....or in remission?
    I never HAD something like that happen to me.." I also hope it NEVER will..." But, I hope you are doing fine.." I need to call you my next OFF day..."

7. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

I am a survivor of my mother's cancer, not my own, but I reach out to you and put my arms around you. :hug:

Anniversaries like this can be very powerful reminders of emotional experiences. I hope you will be extra loving and gentle with yourself today, and for the next few days.

Thanks for being open about what happened to you. How are you doing now?

8. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    big hugs to you. i hope all is well with you now, i remember bout five years ago i received a call from mother and she informed me my stepdad had lung cancer and it was hard to deal with at first eventually the cancer spread but was kept under control with chemo and radiation he lived for a little over a year after the diagnosis. But please remember cancer isn't necassarily a death sentence and also remember there are people that love you. Again Great Big Hugs To You. WALLY L. from Arizona

Attached Files:

9. Love-it

Gold Member

My wife had uterine cancer cells show up in a pap smear, the next test was also positive and she was scheduled for a hysterectomy. She started taking some herbs. The biopsies after the hysterectomy showed no cancerous cells and the medical opinion was that the D&C biopsy removed all of the cancerous cells. We were lucky, but the time passed slowly and with anxiety. That was almost 2 1/2 years ago, all is well and it was a tremendous learning experience.

We hope all goes well for you and anyone else in a similar situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted