I AM Fat-O-Phobic!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes but I quit smoking three months ago and I grew from my normal sleek 170 to 185 and believe me in terms of a pant fit it made a difference. I'm now back to 175 where I'm happy so... keep the Spanx and keep smiling but I would curb the Philly Cream Cheese if you know what is good for you!

I would absolutely KILL to be 175 lbs! I cannot get past 135.

oralslut464

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I am having a hard tme loosing weight. Weight watchers is not working for me. I did atkins and lost 20 lbs then started gaining. Went to the clinic and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Now I find out my thryoid only works at 3 percent. I am allergic to any suppliments for thryoid medications out there. I am currently on 1000 caloried and I am gaing weight. Went to a gastric by pass clinic and they said it would not do me any good - I would still gain weight on 800 calories - it would just be a wasted surgery. Just not sure what to do. I walk 3 miles a day and still gain weight! UGH so frustrated!!!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am having a hard tme loosing weight. Weight watchers is not working for me. I did atkins and lost 20 lbs then started gaining. Went to the clinic and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Now I find out my thryoid only works at 3 percent. I am allergic to any suppliments for thryoid medications out there. I am currently on 1000 caloried and I am gaing weight. Went to a gastric by pass clinic and they said it would not do me any good - I would still gain weight on 800 calories - it would just be a wasted surgery. Just not sure what to do. I walk 3 miles a day and still gain weight! UGH so frustrated!!!

Wow!~ Well you said you did lose weight before but then put it back on. EVery overweight person I have ever met blamed their thyroid or something about carbs. They always turned out to be the folks that ate fat free cookies--but the whole box.
I watch the Biggest Loser every weeks and if you are really having probs I feel your pain. There has got to be a resoltion for you and maybe you haven't gotten the right advice yet? I have a friend, a woman who weighed 400 lbs and had bypass surgery. Her sister had it too. One was good w/it and my friend got infections and almost died.
Maybe you need to see a new endocrinologist? I wish you well and good luck!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Watch out for those collard greens! When I first moved to NYC and wasn't working and was broke I swear I ate pizza 3 times a day and drank tons of beer going out. I never gained even one ounce. I still have the same problem and in fact 25 years later I still weigh the same as I did then to the ounce but over the last few years I really worry about fat. Just b/c you're thin doesn't mean you're healthier than an obese person so I try to watch it!
Collard greens are a good source of nutrition. I don't digest things like pork and steak very well at all anymore. I like fresh fish and chicken. I agree i know many people who are very thing and have high blood pressure and clogged arteries.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My thyroid gland completely stopped working when I was 16 and I have been taking meds for it ever since. These meds contain thyroid hormones, they replace the hormones your own thyroid gland stopped producing, so I don't see how you could possibly allergic against them, cause then you'd be allergic against your own thyroid gland.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
My thyroid gland completely stopped working when I was 16 and I have been taking meds for it ever since. These meds contain thyroid hormones, they replace the hormones your own thyroid gland stopped producing, so I don't see how you could possibly allergic against them, cause then you'd be allergic against your own thyroid gland.

You probably can't assume that the thyroid in the meds is identical to your own thyroid. It won't be.
More important, thyroid won't be the only substance in the meds. There will also be excipients ... fillers, binders and other ingredients ... in the pill. These only rarely cause allergic reactions, but they're not unheard of.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But there are probably dozens and dozens of different thyroid meds and he can't be allergic to all of them.
I had to try different ones myself till we found the right ones for me. It took me almost 2 years and having my blood checked weekly during those 2 years, to see if the meds are working or not.
Plus he says he's been to the hospital but they couldn't find anything (on blood checks they would have found a thyroid disease), and now he found out himself that his thyroid gland isn't working..........?
Edit: Forgot to add: If you have a thyroid disease and you aren't taking medication your thyroid gland will most likely enlarge. I am not sure what the english name for that is, but it does happen.

You probably can't assume that the thyroid in the meds is identical to your own thyroid. It won't be.
More important, thyroid won't be the only substance in the meds. There will also be excipients ... fillers, binders and other ingredients ... in the pill. These only rarely cause allergic reactions, but they're not unheard of.

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
But there are probably dozens and dozens of different thyroid meds and he can't be allergic to all of them.

That sounds reasonable. He says he's allergic to all the thyroid medications out there. They won't all be identical.
But maybe there is some element common to such meds as a group to which he's allergic.
I'm only stating this as a possibility.

You seemed to be stating earlier that an allergy to thyroid meds was implausible.
Now, that, I can't agree with.

I had to try different ones myself till we found the right ones for me. It took me almost 2 years and having my blood checked weekly during those 2 years, to see if the meds are working or not.

Perhaps he should try this.
He hasn't given enough details to know what he's done.

Plus he says he's been to the hospital but they couldn't find anything (on blood checks they would have found a thyroid disease), and now he found out himself that his thyroid gland isn't working..........?

Low thyroid would be something you would expect a clinic to check if someone was having unexplained weight gain.
So it is a bit odd.
Of course, we don't know how much time elapsed between his being checked by the clinic and his independent discovery of his thyroid condition.
(And apart from that, clinics can screw up. Labs do all the time.)

Edit: Forgot to add: If you have a thyroid disease and you aren't taking medication your thyroid gland will most likely enlarge. I am not sure what the english name for that is, but it does happen.

I imagine it would be thyroid hypertrophy.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My grandma on my father's side, my grandma on my mother's side and my dad himself all have thyroid diseases. My dad's mom had to have her thyroid gland removed twice after it had grown back after the first surgery, cause back then meds weren't available (her first surgery was when she was 14, so it must have been in the 20's). My dad had his thyroid gland removed as well and I, who still has a thyroid gland, am taking higher meds than him, who doesn't have one anymore. I could check my meds and his meds to see if they have anythign in common. I know that he is taking different ones, his are only taken after a thyroid surgery, mine are to replace the hormones. Then again my aunt who also had hers removed takes the same meds as me, but an even higher dose.

My doc explained to me that when your thyroid gland isn't working anymore it can still enlarge, very very slow, but it can happen.
Plus weight gain aren't the only symptoms, one big symptom is that you can not concentrate anymore and can hardly sleep at all. Your heart rate also slows down.

But yeah, what I actually meant in my first post was that I can't believe someone is allergic to thyroid meds, or at least to all of them.
I could be totally wrong, but this sounds a little like a bad excuse for not being able to lose weight.
I had gained almost 150lbs when my thyroid gland stopped working and lost it all after I started therapy and changed my diet.
Yes, the metabolism is extremely slow and it is very hard to lose weight with a thyroid disease, but it's not impossible.

That sounds reasonable. He says he's allergic to all the thyroid medications out there. They won't all be identical.
But maybe there is some element common to such meds as a group to which he's allergic.
I'm only stating this as a possibility.

You seemed to be stating earlier that an allergy to thyroid meds was implausible.
Now, that, I can't agree with.

Perhaps he should try this.
He hasn't given enough details to know what he's done.

Low thyroid would be something you would expect a clinic to check if someone was having unexplained weight gain.
So it is a bit odd.
Of course, we don't know how much time elapsed between his being checked by the clinic and his independent discovery of his thyroid condition.
(And apart from that, clinics can screw up. Labs do all the time.)

I imagine it would be thyroid hypertrophy.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
OP, not all fats are evil. Some are good for you, in fact essential to proper nervous system health. Knowing your own cholesterol is key to knowing which fats to avoid. The Philly Cream Cheese product you mention I don't know the ingredients of specifically, but there is even such a thing as fat free cream cheese on the market.

If you are having trouble keeping weight on, eat more proteins. Eggs are a much higher protein and lower fat source than whole-milk dairy.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I swear I never knew that my East Coast boyfriend and HKM were one and the same.

I keep this photo of HKM on my fridge to remind me not to go there!
jpg.gif
HellsKitchenMan.jpg (56.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited: