I am going to hell

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My feelings for my spritual beliefs, which I share with several millions of others, are very strong but I recognize that of the many callings I have received via that endeavor, judgement of others is not one of them. Were I to attempt to judge someone without the requisite authority, the consequences would likely be dire.

Your friend may be a boob but he has evidently been taught to be one by someone who has overstepped his authority. Don't feel too badly towards your friend since it's probably not his fault and don't worry about a retort that would likely have gone about 6" over his head.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
Pecker said:
Your friend may be a boob but he has evidently been taught to be one by someone who has overstepped his authority. Don't feel too badly towards your friend since it's probably not his fault and don't worry about a retort that would likely have gone about 6" over his head.

I have no doubt he was taught to be a boob (as are the other fundies I work with), but the others have at least refrained from vocalizing their condemnation. The rules of civility must extend beyond the secular.

OK, maybe I am still a bit pissed off.

coopturn

Expert Member
Media
Senor Rubirosa is right. Judgment is reserved exlucisvely for the Lord, not man. COLJon, the person who told you that you were going to Hell was not only wrong, but he also did a disservice to himself and those of us who are believers. God is the God of second, third, fourth, etc. chances. Even if your judgmental friend were right, and he isn't, he has no idea how long you are going to live and he has no idea what will transpire throughout the rest of your life. So for him to make a pronouncement like that negates the mercy of God Himself, which is certainly not a place any real believer wants to be.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
coopturn said:
Senor Rubirosa is right. Judgment is reserved exlucisvely for the Lord, not man. COLJon, the person who told you that you were going to Hell was not only wrong, but he also did a disservice to himself and those of us who are believers. God is the God of second, third, fourth, etc. chances. Even if your judgmental friend were right, and he isn't, he has no idea how long you are going to live and he has no idea what will transpire throughout the rest of your life. So for him to make a pronouncement like that negates the mercy of God Himself, which is certainly not a place any real believer wants to be.

Your attitude and philosophy are far removed form his, and that is both a compliment and an acknowledgement that while he is an ass, I realize he doesn't speak for all believers. I probably shouldn't have posted this thread while I was still hot. I guess the devil made me do it.:wink:

BarebackJack

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First of all, your "friend" didn't tell you to go to hell. He said [per his belief system] that you were going to hell. There is a distinct difference. It doesn't change the fact that he is a person who is incapable of processing religion as a mythology and not fact. Oh well...

that_other_guy said:
Yes ... believe it or not God isn't as vindictive as most of organized religion would have you think ...

I don't believe God (or whatever entity you choose) is vindictive at all. To be so would be counter to God's purpose. Vindictiveness is a human trait assigned to God by mortals whose insecurities caused them to feel the need to control one another. The Greeks and the Romans and pretty much everyone down the line has done the same: assigned some of the worst and pettiest of human traits to their gods.

I'll tell you this... if I'm going to hell (I've always assumed I am already there) I'm OK with it. I've always preferred a warmer climate. Besides, the people who believe they are going to heaven aren't a very fun bunch. I say let them have it if they want it so bad. I'll take a clothing optional party in a warm place any day.

BarebackJack

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pecker said:
Don't feel too badly towards your friend since it's probably not his fault...
Uh-oh... don't go enabling the religious right, dear. Everything that a person says or does of his own volition is something which he is responsible for. Period.

You can pity him for having so myopic a view/understanding of the world. But don't excuse his ignorance (CHOSEN ignorance at that) as "not his fault". He, like the rest of us, has the power to overcome the volume of disinformation that makes up the pages of his Bible and the rituals of his church. Forgive him for his ignorance, but don't excuse it away. That won't help him.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to agree with Alex on this one. Why does everyone seem to think that God is human? People take God too personally. Nobody has a clue about who or what God is or what God is all about. Why do people think that they do. Where does this thinking come from? This so-called bible that everyone just loves to quote was written by living and breathing mortals just like us. Get real already. Seems as though God supposedly spoke to everyone back in those days???????? And another thing, Why does everyone get into an uproar when somebody comes down on a Jewish person? Why is that? Does anyone have a few comments about this subject??????

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
COLJohn said:
he calmy told me, "You have some redeeming qualities, John, but you're going to hell. I will pray for you." He was serious; I was dumbfounded.

Rest assured you'll be getting your groove on while he's busy praying for you. :biggrin1:

I wish I could report that I had a witty retort, but I was so taken aback that I just walked away. It was the first time I had ever been told literally to go to hell.

Back in high school when I worked in the ladies' fitting room at Wal-Mart, a mother who was waiting for her daughter to change clothes informed me I was "immoral" and a "spawn of satan" for wearing shorts to work (it was "Hawaiian weekend").

Just thought I'd share this in case you did not know you are in the presence of evil.:mad: John

Rejoice. You're in good company. :biggrin1:

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A good, witty, retort would have been

"So are you, since you participate in various acts of hedonism with your wife, and also had premarital sex. Burn, mother fucker, Burn."

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
LINittanyLion said:
A good, witty, retort would have been

"So are you, since you participate in various acts of hedonism with your wife, and also had premarital sex. Burn, mother fucker, Burn."

Where were a few hours ago when I needed you? I may resume the conversation at work tomorrow and borrow your quotation.

Now I am past my anger and am feeling indignation. I feel as if I'm going through Kubler-Ross's steps or something, but I am too lazy at the moment to look it up. Alex8, don't even go there -- I know I butchered the spelling.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
mercurialbliss said:
Back in high school when I worked in the ladies' fitting room at Wal-Mart, a mother who was waiting for her daughter to change clothes informed me I was "immoral" and a "spawn of satan" for wearing shorts to work (it was "Hawaiian weekend").

Please tell me you were as speechless as I was.

Rejoice. You're in good company. :biggrin1:

I know that!

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My response...because I have said it...

"I do not believe in hell nor have such a limited understanding of Christ's teaching."

That left a mouth open for a fly or two.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
BarebackJack said:
I don't believe God (or whatever entity you choose) is vindictive at all. To be so would be counter to God's purpose. Vindictiveness is a human trait assigned to God by mortals whose insecurities caused them to feel the need to control one another. The Greeks and the Romans and pretty much everyone down the line has done the same: assigned some of the worst and pettiest of human traits to their gods.

Amen to that, Jack.

I don't think it's just our fundie friends who feel that sex leads to hell of one kind or another. Leaving all moral discussions aside, the zeitgeist seems fixed on how physically dangerous and emotionally costly sex can be. Very little celebration of innocent pleasure in general--whether it be the pleasure of sex, food, idleness, or a minor spree. There's a new Puritanism in the air.

You probably hit the nail on the head when you wrote that insecurity leads to a desire for control. Let me go out on limb with this argument: sex-friendly communities arise where everyone feels reasonably secure. Scandinavia, Holland, Japan and Tiger Asia, Canada, Australia, the Blue States.

When sex is good, you need to surrender control; to another human being, and to your own instincts. Scary. You can do it only when you feel safe. (Waiting to procreate until you feel the environment is safe; that makes evolutionary sense, no?)

In modern America, we seldom feel safe about anything any more--sometimes with good reason, sometimes not. We can't trust people; we don't trust ourselves. The more shallow of us, as you point out, seek to legitimise this constant state of fear; they create a religion where moral warfare is more-or-less a permanent condition. The devil stalks us at every turn. We'd better watch out; every pleasure has a price and every silver lining has a cloud. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Of something. Anything. Preferably something in ourselves, so it's always there.

In your colleague, Colonel John, you have bumped up against a very fearful man. Afraid of sex? What a coward.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
headbang8 said:
Amen to that, Jack.

I don't think it's just our fundie friends who feel that sex leads to hell of one kind or another. Leaving all moral discussions aside, the zeitgeist seems fixed on how physically dangerous and emotionally costly sex can be. Very little celebration of innocent pleasure in general--whether it be the pleasure of sex, food, idleness, or a minor spree. There's a new Puritanism in the air.

You probably hit the nail on the head when you wrote that insecurity leads to a desire for control. Let me go out on limb with this argument: sex-friendly communities arise where everyone feels reasonably secure. Scandinavia, Holland, Japan and Tiger Asia, Canada, Australia, the Blue States.

When sex is good, you need to surrender control; to another human being, and to your own instincts. Scary. You can do it only when you feel safe. (Waiting to procreate until you feel the environment is safe; that makes evolutionary sense, no?)

In modern America, we seldom feel safe about anything any more--sometimes with good reason, sometimes not. We can't trust people; we don't trust ourselves. The more shallow of us, as you point out, seek to legitimise this constant state of fear; they create a religion where moral warfare is more-or-less a permanent condition. The devil stalks us at every turn. We'd better watch out; every pleasure has a price and every silver lining has a cloud. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Of something. Anything. Preferably something in ourselves, so it's always there.

In your colleague, Colonel John, you have bumped up against a very fearful man. Afraid of sex? What a coward.

Your words resonate, and that's sad because you so aptly described a good percentage of the people I deal with. The New Puritanism (is that your phrase?) is more potentially lethal than the original because it is now intertwined within out government and military infrastructure.

I think I'll go fuck someone.:smile:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Headbang, thanks for that whole post. It's one thing to feel something and quite another to have someone else articulate those feelings so well.

I will tell you one secret from the dominatrix world- I never had a client who WASN'T extremely religious, or at least raised that way. That was very telling to me.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There's a special section in Hell reserved for LPSG. See y'all there! :smile: