I am serious - and dont call me Shirley

Pappy

Media
Originally posted by Freddie53+Jan 4 2005, 02:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Freddie53 &#064; Jan 4 2005, 02:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Herble@Jan 4 2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Freddie53@Jan 3 2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by leotaylor@Jan 3 2005, 03:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dantesco
@Jan 1 2005, 09:41 PM
I just watch it for the acting and cinematography.
[post=271323]Quoted post[/post]​

me.too
[post=271753]Quoted post[/post]​

And I have some swamp land in Florida to sell......ocean front property&#33;&#33;&#33;
Do you even know what the big word cinematography means?
[post=271777]Quoted post[/post]​

It means Um ,.... the surroundings in the movie? :unsure:
[post=271878]Quoted post[/post]​
Don&#39;t let Leo know. Next thing you know he will start watching movies and turn his attention away from us.
[post=271898]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Promises, Promises, Promises all we ever get is Promises.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Jan 4 2005, 05:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Jan 4 2005, 05:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ashlar@Jan 4 2005, 04:20 PM
Gotta love the televangalists.

We do? Why?
[post=272134]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Um, MST3K fodder?

"Hell is FULL of homosexuals&#33;"

And everything must go&#33; Our lease expires in just 30 days, so these prices are hot, hot, hot&#33; Bisexuals 70% off&#33; So come on down to Crazy Abaddon&#39;s for all your gay needs&#33;

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jonb+Jan 5 2005, 05:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Jan 5 2005, 05:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Jan 4 2005, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ashlar
@Jan 4 2005, 04:20 PM

We do? Why?
Um, MST3K fodder?

"Hell is FULL of homosexuals&#33;"

And everything must go&#33; Our lease expires in just 30 days, so these prices are hot, hot, hot&#33; Bisexuals 70% off&#33; So come on down to Crazy Abaddon&#39;s for all your gay needs&#33;
[post=272217]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Um, can I get a few hot bi guys? *sees charring around the faces of the homos up for sale*.....Not THAT hot&#33;

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Jan 4 2005, 08:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Jan 4 2005, 08:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ashlar@Jan 4 2005, 04:20 PM

We do? Why?
[/b][/quote]

Jacinto, hehe remind me to show you the paper I wrote for one of my Lit classes on Ellison&#39;s book, Invisible Man. I hated the book ... with a passion, and my professor had us writing a very specific paper on it ... which was horrible for me. The next time were both online, remind me, and I will email you a copy of my first draft of the paper as well as the specifics on the assignment. Thenn You will understand my comment :p

cypher13

Experimental Member
Media
Hmmmm, amateur psychoanalyst that I am, I guess I have film in my blood.

Movies I have liked to the point of wacthing the mmultiple times:

Grand Illusion - Do you laugh or do you cry? One never knows as one realizes that we are not so different after all, are we?

Casablanca - and yeah, I have watched this at least a hundred times and always I cry for Rick and Ilsa at the end.

D. O. A. - the old one with Edmond O&#39;Brien - not a wasted frame in this beauty that expresses existential angst to the point that you want to scream&#33;

Sullivan&#39;s Travels/The Great McGinty/The Palm Beach Story/Hail the Conquering Hero - has anyone else ever poked fun at politics, social stratification, military heroism and, oh dear Goddess, even Holywood itself, like Preston Sturges? Not on your life&#33; Yet The Lady Eve left me cold.

Scarlet Street - has anyone ever been trapped like Edward G. Robinson in this one? And there is a good reason why Dan Duryea remains my favorite screen psychopath, making Dennis Hopper and his ilk all look like choir boys.

Citizen Kane - forever glorious&#33;

The Big Sleep - so what at least one murder remains unsolved at the end? So what William Faulkner himself got lost in the screenplay? If you want to see chemistry in action...

Singin&#39; in the Rain - also forever glorious&#33; Makes you feel damned good about life.

A Clockwork Orange - not faithful to the novel, but so what? Kubrick always had this cold intellectual ruthlessness to his film work that once impressed me far more than it does now. Still the sixteen year old al seeing this beast for the first time, when it still carried an X rating and I had to sneak in....

Top Hat - Not to put down Gene Kelly, but I think that on a bad day, Fred Astaire could dance circles around Gene.

Alien - the only movie to ever give me nightmares. Aesthetically, among the greatest flicks around.

High Noon - yeah, people now read all sorts of political messages into this one. So what? Where are you when we really need you, Gary Cooper?

Stagcoach - characters put together and interacting. Same thing with Key Largo, except the latter had the advantage Maxwell Anderson&#39;s writing. Both are worth watching, multiple times.

Double Indemnity - Sadly, the ending we should have seen, Walter Neff in the gas chamber never made it to the final cut, or even the dvd. No matter...there is enough tension, character interaction, and psychological insight to keep any criminalist on the edge of his or her seat, any number of times.

The Cincinnati Kid - How did Lancey Howard get so damned good at five card stud? Edward G. Robinson seems to know everything in this one, just as he did in Double Indemnity.

Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill Vols I and II - I think Tarantino is one of the precious few left who can write dialogue. I mean real, honest to Goddess dialogue, spoken as people really talk. The stories verge on the absurd, yet the dialogue seems so real and the final product works so well.

The Devil Thumbs a Ride - a low budget thriller from the days when RKO was dying due to financial problems and the beginning of the blacklist. I saw this brief firecracker of a film at 2:30 one morning on TCM and let me tell you...that is the time to watch it. Lawrence Tierney is very, very good, though Dan Duryea would have been better.

The Asphalt Jungle - Huston&#39;s jewel caper, gone sour. Kubrick&#39;s The Killing examined this same theme, with much the same results, about five years later. Both are good; Huston&#39;s is far, far better.

Dr. Strangelove - again, the cold intellectualism, but a comedic look at eschatology, which goes beyond even poking fun at Hollywood, though those in Hollywood surely don&#39;t feel that way.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - the apex of Hollywood film making, and it has been downhill all the way from here on. It has it all: story, psychology, pedigree...and watching Fred C. Dobbs deteriorate into paranoia....well...

And the great thing is that if you ask me again in an hour, this list might well be vastly different.