I am sooooo confused...

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
So at 30 years old, I realize that I have been in the wrong line of work for the last 7 years.. and I cannot possibly go on...

I have decided to go back to school, and to totally change my life, my focus, and my attitude..

however, in trying to go back to school, I have been given road block after road block by my local community collage...

I went to see the career counselor to speak to him/her about what classes I should take as pre-reqs for either medicine, or for computer science.
but I couldn't meet with the career counselor until I registered in classes, but I do not want to registered for classes until I know exactly what I want to do.

Then while I was applying for the school, they asked me where I have been living for the last two years... "here, and Hawaii" I said...
"how long were you in Hawaii?"
about a year...
"did you drive when you lived there?"

- Keep in mind, I thought the gal was just making casual conversation with me.

"of course I drove when I lived there"....

"Oh, oh,"

"oh oh?"

the price of your units, well since you lived somewhere other than CA in the last two years goes from 20 dollars a unit, to...... 190 dollars a UNIT!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to figure this out...

what do I do?

what should the next step be?

I am so lost.

D

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would ask to talk with someone above her. Did you change your Drivers License? Were you still maintaining an address in CA? Did you have a car in Hawaii? I would want to know what they are basing the decision on.

Regardless, I would talk to someone about the fishing tactics. It may be school, but YOU are the one giving THEM money for a service. In other words, they should want your business.

p.s. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm selling my house and moving to go back to school, so I know how stressful it can be. Best of luck to you!

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
If you've been a resident of California for a year, you get the discounted price for enrollment.

If you've been a resident elsewhere for the past year, you don't.

All you have to do is be a resident for a year to get the cheaper prices. If you can't afford the non-resident prices, best bet would probably be to live in Cali for a year working and saving up money and then enroll for the cheaper tuition.

If you can afford the more expensive tuition for a year, your price will drop after a year of residency.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
I would ask to talk with someone above her. Did you change your Drivers License? Were you still maintaining an address in CA? Did you have a car in Hawaii? I would want to know what they are basing the decision on.

Regardless, I would talk to someone about the fishing tactics. It may be school, but YOU are the one giving THEM money for a service. In other words, they should want your business.

p.s. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm selling my house and moving to go back to school, so I know how stressful it can be. Best of luck to you!

THX Honey!!
After seeing the young kids there on campus, with their black hair and nail polish, spikey belts and death metal tee shirts and cuts all over their arms, they should be licking my arse to get in there!!!!!

The whole process is breaking my balls. :p

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Find out the exact requirements your school has for establishing residency in California. Some require that you not take classes while you're doing this, others do not. Each school/state is slightly different, and by taking classes now you may end up screwing yourself out of in-state tuition for good.

Just as an example, when I was in school, you had to be a living in my state and not enrolled in college for one year before your could petition for residency. You also needed some forms of documentation, drivers license, pay stubs, utility bills, things like that.

Schools make this hard and the rules convoluted so that, for example, college fresmen after a year of being in school can't declare permanent residency in the state where they attend school.

There should be someone at your school who can help you with this. I'd find that person ASAP and get that straightened out before you do anything.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So at 30 years old, I realize that I have been in the wrong line of work for the last 7 years.. and I cannot possibly go on...

I have decided to go back to school, and to totally change my life, my focus, and my attitude..

however, in trying to go back to school, I have been given road block after road block by my local community collage...

I went to see the career counselor to speak to him/her about what classes I should take as pre-reqs for either medicine, or for computer science.
but I couldn't meet with the career counselor until I registered in classes, but I do not want to registered for classes until I know exactly what I want to do.

Then while I was applying for the school, they asked me where I have been living for the last two years... "here, and Hawaii" I said...
"how long were you in Hawaii?"
about a year...
"did you drive when you lived there?"

- Keep in mind, I thought the gal was just making casual conversation with me.

"of course I drove when I lived there"....

"Oh, oh,"

"oh oh?"

the price of your units, well since you lived somewhere other than CA in the last two years goes from 20 dollars a unit, to...... 190 dollars a UNIT!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to figure this out...

what do I do?

what should the next step be?

I am so lost.

D

I'd go back and talk to someone else... and worse case, research the limitations... i.e. on the "did you drive"...

..."ummmm I drove my friends car once, etc..."

Not sure if CC have the budget to do background checks... they barely have the budget to get transcripts.

Even if she put the iinformation into a computer, you surely didn't sign/attest....

Should be a non-issue.

Worse-worse-worse case.... get a student loan... you don't pay them until you are done with all your schooling... be careful to use JUST what you need... as you are already talking the difference between $300 and $3000.. and besides that's only the first year for you... if I'm doing the math right. I put myself through school... owing thousands and thousands... now paid off... and best decision I made whilst sitting atop the fence.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My experience with guidance, career and academic counselors was mixed. Some were helpful and knowledgeable. Others were clueless and indifferent. They all seemed to give me different answers to the same questions.

I learned not to trust their advice until I could confirm it elsewhere.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I wouldn't call these fishing tactics, it's simply what is done in schools where discounted tuition is offered for in-state students. All students at one point or another have to prove their residency as established under the guidelines of the school. The schools have to follow these guidelines so that the system is used properly and uniformly for all students.

If you can afford the more expensive tuition for a year, your price will drop after a year of residency.

I think this may depend on the state you live in, but in mine, if you are enrolled in school, that time you're in school does not go toward establishing residency. It's so every college sophomore can't say they are residents after one year at school in the state. There are usually some criteria involving employment involved. It's a really convoluted process, at least in my state.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Did she see your avatar? Just kidding. Its all about game playing and its easyer for you being young (30) just try pulling it off at 48!There is an angle for you to play you just need a CA resident to tell you how! Hopefully someone here can help you.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
thank you everyone, you are all very helpful...
So I want to go medical, or computer.
but if I go computer, does it matter where you go to school? or do people just care about your certs?
EXAMPLE: I went to devry and got a degree in computer science, or I went to usc and got a degree in computer science.. do employers care?
I really do NOT want to go to a trade school..
eh..
weak!

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
but I do not want to registered for classes until I know exactly what I want to do.
Hey DJG: Here is another thought. No matter what degree you go after, you are going to need General Education courses as graduation requirements. You should find information in the Admissions office that will outline requirements for graduation. You will need so many units of English, math, history, lab science, etc. Don't worry about your major right now and what your career is going to be. Start banging out you general ed classes and get into academic life. Also make sure that the classes you take are transferrable to the 4 year college of your choice.

I went back to college at 30. I finally graduated at 47. It was worth all the sacrifices that I had to make to get that diploma. I even like my job!

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
Hey DJG: Here is another thought. No matter what degree you go after, you are going to need General Education courses as graduation requirements. You should find information in the Admissions office that will outline requirements for graduation. You will need so many units of English, math, history, lab science, etc. Don't worry about your major right now and what your career is going to be. Start banging out you general ed classes and get into academic life. Also make sure that the classes you take are transferrable to the 4 year college of your choice.

I went back to college at 30. I finally graduated at 47. It was worth all the sacrifices that I had to make to get that diploma. I even like my job!

Thx SD!
what did you go for school for 17 years for?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
EXAMPLE: I went to devry and got a degree in computer science, or I went to usc and got a degree in computer science.. do employers care?

I attended state universities for undergrad and grad studies and have worked for the government all my career. I worked side by side with Ivy Leaguers and I never saw anyone get any preferential treatment based on their school. However, from what I've seen of what goes on in some private companies, things can sometimes be more selective and elitist.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The counselors that help you pick classes are there for 18 year olds that don't know nothing about nothing. At 30 you're better off figuring out what classes you want to take yourself. Just read the requirements for whatever degree you want and look through the class descriptions.

One of the ways they determine if you've been a California resident for one year is if you had a driver license the whole time.

Good luck, and keep posting the video links in the meantime. :fing02:

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I wouldn't call these fishing tactics, it's simply what is done in schools where discounted tuition is offered for in-state students. All students at one point or another have to prove their residency as established under the guidelines of the school. The schools have to follow these guidelines so that the system is used properly and uniformly for all students.

Yes, schools do need to check into it. However, it becomes a fishing tactic when you are not up front about why you are asking the question. And it doesn't sound like the counselor asked further questions to clarify the situation. "Did you drive a car in Hawaii" is very different then "Did you drive one on a regular basis, and if so, did you have a Hawaii DL" or, "Did you establish residency". My LTR worked in CA for over 2 years, but his residency is in Oregon, based on the company he was working for. The question itself is misleading and not well put.

In my opinion, any time any business, and higher education is a business, asks "innocent" questions in order to up your rate without telling you that if "this" occured, your rates will change first, it's fishing. And as DJG stated, he thought she was just making conversation, which has a different tone than someone going down a list of requirments.

scorpiokc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Life change is always hard. At least your only 30. I had a successful career in management in corporate BS America for 20 years, now I'm 44, just wanted to get out of that crap. Now I'm overqualified for the kind of jobs I'd prefer (I don't need the big bucks I was making, no one believes that). So now, I'm broke. Flat broke. Probably going to lose the house and stuff, too. May go from having tons of cash to living in my car. But at your age? You need to be aggressive and if the roadblock bitch gets in your way, demand to speak with someone else. You still have opportunities. Unlike some of us. Okay, I'm a bit bitter and angry, I'll admit. Sorry.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my opinion, any time any business, and higher education is a business, asks "innocent" questions in order to up your rate without telling you that if "this" occured, your rates will change first, it's fishing. And as DJG stated, he thought she was just making conversation, which has a different tone than someone going down a list of requirments.

The counselors have nothing to do with determining residency for tuition purposes. To show residency, you have to formally submit proof that you've been living in California continuously for a year. (Driver license, rent receipts, other receipts with your address, etc.)

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Life change is always hard. At least your only 30. I had a successful career in management in corporate BS America for 20 years, now I'm 44, just wanted to get out of that crap. Now I'm overqualified for the kind of jobs I'd prefer (I don't need the big bucks I was making, no one believes that). So now, I'm broke. Flat broke. Probably going to lose the house and stuff, too. May go from having tons of cash to living in my car. But at your age? You need to be aggressive and if the roadblock bitch gets in your way, demand to speak with someone else. You still have opportunities. Unlike some of us. Okay, I'm a bit bitter and angry, I'll admit. Sorry.

Sounds like my situation! Except that I didn't get out, I was laid off due to budget cuts, and am overqualified or underqualified for just about every job out there. Plus I have shyness issues to deal with (that have affected my work performance at several jobs). I'm also 44.

I don't have a house (I was never financially able to buy one), but came close to being evicted from my apartment. I do have a place (actually two places) to go if that happens, but they are both in Indiana. One is with my parents back in rural Indiana where I grew up, in which case I think I'd RATHER live in my car! (the issue here is not with my parents, but with the area where they live). The other is to move in with two friends in Indianapolis, which is what I'll do if I have to move back, but I much prefer San Antonio. I always hated Indiana winters! San Antonio has the kind of climate I like.

I'd thought about going back to school too, but I already have two college degrees, and for all the good they're doing me now I may as well not have bothered. Oh, I know they've done me some good. I worked as a computer operator and computer programmer with my associates degree in computer information systems, and my bachelor's degree gets me the test scoring jobs (requires a bachelor's degree, doesn't matter what the degree is in...) I guess at my age I don't want to go deep in debt for yet another degree without having a job 100% guaranteed to me when I finish. Plus I'm crazy... I want my job to be steady! None of this 6-month contract here, 3-month contract there, plus then there are all those jobs in my field that are being outsourced offshore.