I cant be the only one...

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks for clearing up the brouhaha thing, i hate when i mispell things and use bad grammar. It makes me think that people won't take me seriously just because I don't have the greatest command of the english language.

ANd also, I agree with you completely about the evolution of morality.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You smart guys get me all gooey! Sorry, just had to throw that in lest we forget this is a penis site.

BTA, what you have experienced (I am reading between the lines) in the Catholic church was also experienced by my mother and my third husband, very regrettable stuff indeed. I have also undergone many religious transformations trying to seek the truth and at nearly 42 only feel I am at the beginning. I felt from your post that you may enjoy reading about the Baha'i religion, which seems to view all messiahs as messengers from the same Godhead. This is the only religious explanation that makes any sense at all to me, but even they have their own judgements. I reject all of those based on my own opinions, which I see as higher. Egotistical bitch, for sure, but Ghandi said "If you are a minority of but one, the truth is still the truth". My opinions have as much potential for being close to the truth as anyone else's, so that's fine by me. I am glad you seem to be coming to a place where you value your own ideas more highly.

GBO, I was never arguing for the Bible being the word of God, that's probably where the confusion came in. I was asking if God really exists, and the Bible references his interaction with people (as a historical text, not as his verbal word)
couldn't we try harder to know his heart by how his treatment of people has devoloped? Since I have never seen perfection as unchanging, perhaps my theory is just flawed, but if you think of the concept of parenting, for example, wouldn't a perfect parent treat a child differently at 15 than at 8? To me, the change in mood in the Bible indicates that God saw us as "growing up" and therefore being able to understand higher concepts, thus replacing the law with love. Perhaps in giving it as a law it was just that we are only 15 and not fully capable of arriving at the full concept of it any other way yet. Perhaps the next messiah will introduce more fully complex ideas of free will, which are only touched on in the Bible, but still introduced. That's how I view it all, now feel free to print out this whole thread and wipe your ass with it, my theories are mainly for my own amusement after all!
I appreciate your logic based views tremendously, especially since logic was one of the first things to go in my own search. I reject the concept of philosophical logic in many ways, as I have seen it used many times to prove very ridiculous concepts. So it's really people's use of it that I reject, and yes, this is a fairly wholesale rejection. I find most often that people take a few ideas completely out of the context of the reality in which they exist, and that makes for good arguments and proving points, but is nearly useless in determining "truth" or "reality" in OUR world, where everywhere are exceptions to almost every rule. To ignore this is to not understand nature, physics, or anything I personally consider useful. Our world is not static or stationary, so how can Truth be? Sorry, just more of my bullshit. Once again, we are probably arguing on the same side. Your use of logic causes me to investigate my own ideas and concepts in a way that I would probably not do on my own.

Where is resident smart guy jonb in all this?

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Nov 17 2004, 09:53 AM
I never said I disregarded Revelation, but I saw it for what it was- which is NOT a literal account of anything. Prior to now, I had thought it was an account of a dream, now I see that it is even less than that.
I would not say that it's even less than a dream. I'd say it's a lot more. It's not a jumble of incomprehensible images that often come unbidden in a dream, but an important message of hope that was understood by the Christian community of the time. Just because we don't understand or we may misinterpret The Book of Revelation doesn't mean that it never had a value, but I believe its message is lost to today's Christians.

In my first post to you I started with the idea that to be able to glean anything of value from the Bible, one had to be able to accept a LOT of inconsistancies, remember?
These inconsistencies are undoubtedly what GBO refers to when he says 'obvious lies'. Lies? Not at all. We're talking about not a single book, but a collection of writings from various authors who come from various traditions. Look at the story of the cosmogeny. Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 give different accounts of the Creation. Why? Because the Elohist tradition and the Yahwist tradition differ in details. So does that mean that the message that God was responsible for creating the World and all that is on it is invalid? Of course not. And does it mean that God could not have used evolution as a tool for the creation of man just because its not mentioned in the Bible? Not at all. The Bible was not intended to be a history book, nor a science book. It's the story of God's covenant with man and a guide to moral living. The message is what's important, and it was conveyed through several literary forms. There's poetry, proverbs, apocalyses, epistles, allegory, biography, etc. The 'details' are explained in terms that the people of the time understood and that were familiar in the context of their traditions. The teachings concerning morality and our relationships with each other contained in the Bible are remarkably similar to the teachings of other religions. Read the writings of Confucius or the Buddha sometime. You'll be amazed at the similarities to the teachings of Christ in the Gospels. And the Quran? BobGoblin, a former member of LPSG who is Muslim once pointed out to me the amount of 'Christian' content in the Quran. Did you realise that orthodox Islam considers Jesus and John the Baptist as great prophets, surpassed only by Muhammad himself? Did you know that the Virgin Mary is mentioned by name in the Quran more than any other woman? And she's revered.
Even if one is not convinced of the existence of God, or at least the God that we recognise, he cannot deny that the Bible is an important literary work. Nor could he deny that there are some valid points of morality contained therein. I don't think that GBO was trying to do either. Unfortunately, the Bible has been used to justify atrocities. Some very dark periods of civilsation's history arose in the name of Christianity; the Inquisition, the Crusades, the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, the Salem Witch Trials and the present troubles in Northern Ireland spring immediately to mind. But these incidents are misuses and abuses of the message. True religion is a search for truth, not a justification of hatred and cruelty. Accept the Bible for what it is, not for what you can make of it. That's why serious study of Scripture is valuable.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DMW, I regretted my choice of words as soon as I posted it. I guess only laziness prevented me from editing it. What I meant about Revelation was that it was even less literal than I had originally thought when I thought it was a dream, not that it was of less value. I do think it's sad that's it's true exact meaning cannot be known, it would probably be very uplifting indeed. I would love to never again have to converse with some psycho who thinks it's meant to be taken as literal reality!

I tried hard to start this thread and keep it from scientific scrutiny, but my intentions were wholly lost. I am going to have to polish my skills in conveying ideas, I seem to not be doing that well.

You explained what I failed to do, that the very nature of the Bible is not one of scientific purity. Any logical or scientific scrutiny will render it flawed quickly! So then it's only use is to glean historical backdrop, impressions, values, morals, etc. To do this to any degree of accuracy, one must try to know the climate of the culture in which it was written, and the will of the men who gathered it. What was their intention? Why did they want to assemble it? What was it to be used for? Was it for crowd control, or a genuine desire to tell people about God, or any other reason? These are the things I would like to learn, I feel without this, all else is just pretty words on paper. Help! Anyone!

BetterThanAverage:
Originally posted by madame_zora@Nov 17 2004, 02:28 PM
I reject all of those based on my own opinions, which I see as higher. Egotistical bitch, for sure, but Ghandi said "If you are a minority of but one, the truth is still the truth". My opinions have as much potential for being close to the truth as anyone else's, so that's fine by me.
[post=264107]Quoted post[/post]​

You're certainly my kind of egotistical bitch, Madame Z. I completely agree with you. Your opinions, and mine, and GBO's, are all as good as anyone's. The point is that we think about this stuff, and don't just blindly believe. Blind belief is behind most of the hate I see in the world. And hate is NOT what any of the major religions is about. I just won't believe otherwise.

As far as the Bible, I wholeheartedly agree with DMW's conclusion that the message is what is important. And it's a good and valuable message. That many have taken that message and perverted it into hate and prejudice is the true blasphemy. Jesus didn't teach us to love our neighbor unless he was a homo.

Is the face of God unknowable? Yes, I think so, and that's part of the beauty of what God is. Does that mean we shouldn't strive for the knowledge? Absolutely not. It's what makes us uniquely human (well, along with those opposable thumbs, I guess).

Oh, and thanks for the referral to Baha'i. I'll definitely look into that. The search goes on.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh yeah, the search goes on! I haven't been happier about anything since the damned election than this thread. Even though GBO and I seemed to be arguing, we are friends, we respect each other's minds, and no doubt one day this will be the cause of another phone call- till then, all is groovy in my world. What I love most about his forum is the ability we have to disagree respectfully. I learn more from people who's views are different from mine, and am sometimes won over by an idea that is better than the one I am currently holding. I think that's a good definition of maturity. I don't claim to be mature or even repectful all the time, but I do try. My daughter would be the first to tell you I have a low tolerance for absurdity, and I tend to blow up when I feel confronted by it. Happily, that was not the case here and we all shared pretty well. I was elated to hear from you, Phenix, DMW, and Schlotski even tho GBO and I were having a heated disagreement. I would have hated to think we would alienate anyone who didn't know it was okay for us to do that and still respect each other.

I found the Baha'i faith by taking a stupid online quiz about "what is your true inner religion"!!! Can you believe that one? Talk about truth coming from unexpected places. I have always been frustrated by the major faiths all being the same in that they don't allow for each other- how can only one be right? Anyway, it was an important stepping stone for me, I hope it will be of interest to you- if only by legitimizing your own quest.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm glad that on your side Madam things didn't get too heated to call it quits on me, I was afraid it was going in that direction and it saddened me to think that you were type of person who would shut out opposing ideas. Thank you for not ebing that type of person. We have a fundamental dissagreement that cannot be reconciled, and that's ok. You are right, you do learn more from someone who has opposing ideas. I have learned a lot from you in our discussions. One of the major problems with attributing perfection to God is that perfection is such a subjective thing. it a metter of opinion.

Phenix

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is the most incredible thread! Look at the directions it's taken, yet has remained coherent and cohesive.

I might have mentioned in an earlier post that my primary work is as a freelance Inter-Faith Pastoral Consultant working primarily with men and women who are in spiritual transition, confusion or crisis. The work is trans-religious/denominational, although I can speak Christianese, Protestantese, Roman Catholicese, some Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Paganism (Wicca), Metaphysics, Shirley Maclaine, Wayne Dyer, Deepak, etc.

I employ a variety of methods in sessions (various psychological schools, philosophy (Ancient, Modern/Eastern, Western), metaphysics, semiotics, Western Astrology, Oracular Traditions (Tarot, Runes), to name a few). Mostly, I speak out of my own lived experiences as a SEEKER who has no wish to FIND nor expects to. The joy is in the journey. One of my dearest friends, a Franciscan sister 18 years my senior recently said to me, "Phenix, your are a Seeker; that is your Cross and your Crown." To those other Seekers out there, I'm sure this resonates deeply. I think the Universe led me to grad school so I could learn lingustic and philosophical structures in order to organize my experiences systematically so I could give them back to others who might find them helpful.

I work mostly by phone and/or email, although I do see clients one on one if they're in the vicinity. If anyone should want to talk, I'm available and my rates are reasonable (esp. for members of the "dick site"! LOL). Sessions are normally an hour +, once a week, twice if necessary at the beginning. I work with people where they are & never attempt to proselytize. Rather, to help people see different angles of vision, new and fresh perspectives; I'm an "Options Offerer" rather than an "Adviser". Jesus said, "The Kingdom is within you." That's my starting point, simply helping people remember they've had the "answer" all along and to trust this intuitive knowledge.

To use a well-known and loved American film as a metaphor, remember at the end of "The Wizard of OZ" when Prof. Marvel/the Wizard sails off in the balloon without Dorothy? It is at this point, that Dorothy all but completely gives up ("Oh now I'll never get home."). At which point the ubiquitous pink bubble appears and her companions say, "Look, here's someone who can help." Suddenly Glinda is standing beside her, and if you remember anything poignant about that scene, it's in Glinda's words: "She doesn't need to helped any longer. You've always had the power to back to Kansas." Dorothy replies, "I have? Then why didn't anybody tell me?" Glinda: "Because you wouldn't have believed it." The Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion all chime in saying they should have thought of it, felt it, etc. for her. Glinda replies: "No, she had to learn it for herself ."

That's the kernel of truth brought to you by MGM in 1939. Glinda simply reminds her of something she's always known, but in the face of other worldly pressures (a Wizard, a new reality, a wicked witch threatening her life, poisonous poppies, Munchkins, Flying Monkeys, etc.), has temporarily forgotten. "If I ever go searching for my heart's desire, I won't look any further than my own backyard, because if it isn't there, then I never really lost it to begin with." (i.e., The Kingdom is within YOU).

A couple more random thoughts: GBO, you're an astute, intelligent, educated, soul and I identify with your philosophical proclivities. The safest place to be is deep within agnostic atheism. How utterly honest of you to be public about that. If you haven't read any 18th century "British Empiricists", here are two. George Berkeley, an Anglican cleric who argues empirically for the existence of God, and his contemporary, David Hume, who argues just as effectively that the existence of God cannot be proven empirically. Great reading. If you're interested, I'll give you exact references, so you're not poring over the sum total of each man's work!

Ditto Plato. I think you'd find his "Theory of the Forms", or better yet, the "Allegory of the Cave" fascinating as it might apply to your understanding (which I deem correct), that "Truth" doesn't exist. Or to use Platonic language, "Truth" exists, but we will never apprehend "Truth" as it is in itself because our finite minds cannot comprehend infinite "Truth" (i.e., "truth" vs. "Truth", the former a reflection (or FORM) of the latter). Each of us loosely defined as "seekers", either singly or communally, are on different paths to "it", but all have the same goal in mind. Nothing strikes me as more existentially arrogant than to say one possesses the "Truth" and moreover he/she/it knows the only way to get it. Anytime someone or an institution thinks its cornered the market on Truth, they've painted themselves into a very tight corner out of which lies one possibility of egress: To Admit Doubt. To this extent, Philosophy is more rigorously honest than Theology when Theology allows itself to slip into Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy gives birth to the false dichotomies of "us" vs. "them", "right" vs. "wrong", or to what I call "the need to be right". What is the need to be right based on? FEAR. Existential/Cosmic Insecurity. For this reason, it's impossible to argue with a fundamentalist (regardless of religion), because these souls are too frightened to deal with the fact that life is GRAY, life is UNCERTAIN. Hence, they must make things Black & White in order to cope with this FEAR. It's a coping strategy, albeit misguided and not the healthiest way of coping. My goal in counseling is to facillitate people's release from the bondage of fear, to remind them that they've "always had the power to go back to Kansas".

Another classic is Richard Swinburne's 1979 (revised 1991) book, The Existence of God . Swinburne is Nolloth Professor of Philosophy of the Christian Religion at the University of Oxford (England).

Dear Madame Zora, in the spiritual life, we're always at the beginning. Remember that next time you feel you should be further along than you are. As Buddhism teaches, "This is only a dream; it shall soon pass." Without going into a Biblical Studies lecture, let me tell you this, the 4 canonical Gospels, are, first of all, anonymous. The names ascribed to each (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) were added a century later based on oral tradition and to give them more authority over against all the other gospels that were in circulation. It was an arbitrary decision made to separate Christian orthodoxy from Christian heresy (right vs. wrong again!). Moreover, each of the writers of the gospels had a specific theological agenda. For example, "Matthew" is written for Jewish Christians with its emphasis on Jesus as the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, "John" is written using Greek philosophical structures to a "Gentile" audience who would understand the lingo, etc. Each of the 4 portrays a very different Jesus if you read them closesly. Furthermore, although most scholars side with the "Markan Priority" (i.e., "Mark" is the earliest of the 4), there exists a hypothetical gospel from which all of them derive which scholars call "Q" (you can find the Gospel of "Q" online). It is a "sayings" Gospel rather than a biographical narrative, much like the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas (also online). Check out the Nag Hammadi Library (online) for a real mind bender and a lesson in how many variations of Christianity existed from the get go. If only we hadn't lapsed into fear and the need to be right, rather than live and let live, Christianity might have progressed very differently!

Lastly, my friend who was damaged by the Roman Catholic Church. I'm deeply sorry for those wounds. They've obviously altered your path a bit. But fear not; it's just grist for the mill. Try to remember, that it wasn't the "Church" who did it, rather, the church", and try to live in a place of compassion for those who misguided, fear filled soulds who took their shit out on you. There are many Christian denominations (mainline or esoteric) who would welcome you (all of you) warmly. See me for some suggestions if you want to continue treading the path of Christianity. If not, I can suggest other avenues equally valid and accepting.

GBO, try this one on for size. Instead of using the term "unconditional love", try reframing it as "disinterested love". That is, love for its own sake, free from attachment to outcomes. This is the love, I believe, Jesus of Nazareth modeled. Indeed, his commitment to loving this way, led him directly to his execution, and as you so rightly mention, even in the agony of crucifixion, he still said "Forgive them for they know not what they do." Can you imagine that kind of pure love? Yet a bit later, even Jesus betrays his all too human and natural tendency to be AFRAID, to NOT UNDERSTAND, to feel ABANDONED: "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Quickly, I think you're referring to the passage wherein the Pharisees are attempting to trap Jesus and ask him which are the two most important commandments. In other words get him to compromise himself legalistically as a practicing, devout Jew. His response was "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart , mind, and soul. And the second is "Love your neighbor as yourself." Get the distinction? Jesus wasn't issuing a commandment, he was cleverly outwitting the fuckin' Pharisees! Also, remember that because Jesus of Nazareth is a historical personage, he would naturally have used the lingo of his historical context: 1st century Palestinian Judaism (what you refer to as his "theism", although correct, isn't necessarily his "flaw", rather, a product of his environment and socialization in a particular place and time), just as we naturally refer to things in our contemporary historical context. In another century or so, our reference points will no longer make sense to the people in that historical context. And so it goes. What I keep coming back to in my own "search" is separating the message from the messenger. In order to gain any understanding or universal truth from the words of the historical Jesus ergo The Bible, one must de facto separate them, because others before and after him said the same things and will continue to. It was Buddha who said, "Suffering is caused by attachment," centuries before Jesus was a gleam in anyone's eye! In other words, don't be attached to a goal, an outcome, a person, a thing, etc. Disinterested love, right? Different language, different culture, different messengers, the same message. Peace.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Nov 17 2004, 02:36 PM
These inconsistencies are undoubtedly what GBO refers to when he says 'obvious lies'. Lies? Not at all. We're talking about not a single book, but a collection of writings from various authors who come from various traditions. Look at the story of the cosmogeny. Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 give different accounts of the Creation. Why? Because the Elohist tradition and the Yahwist tradition differ in details. So does that mean that the message that God was responsible for creating the World and all that is on it is invalid? Of course not. And does it mean that God could not have used evolution as a tool for the creation of man just because its not mentioned in the Bible? Not at all. The Bible was not intended to be a history book, nor a science book. It's the story of God's covenant with man and a guide to moral living. The message is what's important, and it was conveyed through several literary forms. There's poetry, proverbs, apocalyses, epistles, allegory, biography, etc. The 'details' are explained in terms that the people of the time understood and that were familiar in the context of their traditions. The teachings concerning morality and our relationships with each other contained in the Bible are remarkably similar to the teachings of other religions. Read the writings of Confucius or the Buddha sometime. You'll be amazed at the similarities to the teachings of Christ in the Gospels. And the Quran? BobGoblin, a former member of LPSG who is Muslim once pointed out to me the amount of 'Christian' content in the Quran. Did you realise that orthodox Islam considers Jesus and John the Baptist as great prophets, surpassed only by Muhammad himself? Did you know that the Virgin Mary is mentioned by name in the Quran more than any other woman? And she's revered.
[post=264111]Quoted post[/post]​

For a very readable and fascinating explanation of recent study of the origins and authors of the Old Testament, I highly recommend Who Wrote The Bible? by Richard Friedman. The authors had their own agendas that can often only be understood in the context of their time and place. Even if you aren't particularly religious, it's a good book about a puzzle that's still being solved.

robyn:
Originally posted by Phenix@Nov 16 2004, 04:50 PM
What a thought provoking thread! Thanks GBO & Madame Zara, et.al.

I am a theologian (M.A. Systematic & Historical Theology; M.A. Pastoral Ministry, Berkeley, 1998) & a "progressive" Roman Catholic. I am in private practice on the West Coast, as well as globally via the Net, as a Chaplain (Industrial & individual) & a Inter-Faith Counselor whose main focus is people in spiritual transition, confusion or crisis. Based on the bit of knowledge I've acquired in the world of academia, I thought I'd just throw a couple things into the mix for all of us to ponder.
[post=263985]Quoted post[/post]​

I was wondering which school you went to? Obviously in Berkeley, but I was just wondering which school in Berkeley offers such studies.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Phenix, you are truly impressive and I value the fact that I get to converse with you about this subject. It is a subject I am highly passionate and interested in.

The commandment thing was not a reference to jesus' metting with the pharisees. I'm not sure where it occurs, I'll look it up in time but I remember a passage in the Bible where Jesus says something to the effect of:"This is my one commandment; love one another as you love yourself." I may have been mistaken, but thats what I was talking about.

When I talked about his "theism" being his flaw that comes from my perspective of theism being false. I noted a quote where Jesus mentioned Hellfire and I think thats one thing that corrupts his message. He was human, and even in the story as you said he does falter on the cross with the "My god, my god, why hast though forsaken me?" I think maybe he faltered again and started threatening eternal punishment for those who don't listen to him. Its hard to get people to listen to your message about selfless love when there's nothing in it for them. Maybe he felt that the ends were more important than the means, and felt that if he could get people to listen by threat, then it was better than not listening at all. I think it was his belief that there was a god that taints whatever else he said, because he starts from an assumption I find to be unproven. Maybe he even did start to believe he himself might be divine, and a little hubris might have slipped into him. I know that the divinity of Christ was never put forward by him, but by Paul and the evangelists, probably in order to give the message more of punch. Who is John Galt?

BetterThanAverage:
Originally posted by Phenix@Nov 17 2004, 06:02 PM
Lastly, my friend who was damaged by the Roman Catholic Church. I'm deeply sorry for those wounds. They've obviously altered your path a bit. But fear not; it's just grist for the mill. Try to remember, that it wasn't the "Church" who did it, rather, the church", and try to live in a place of compassion for those who misguided, fear filled soulds who took their shit out on you. There are many Christian denominations (mainline or esoteric) who would welcome you (all of you) warmly. See me for some suggestions if you want to continue treading the path of Christianity. If not, I can suggest other avenues equally valid and accepting.
[post=264140]Quoted post[/post]​

I, too, am loving this thread. Much of it, I admit, is WAY above my head, but it's good to stretch a bit, right?

I wasn't going to go into this, at least not in this thread, but. . . as for the Roman Catholic Church, suffice it to say at this point that while the Church certainly did not actually commit the act (and this is rape I'm talking about, just to be clear, rape of a 12 year old boy), and the Church may not condone the act, the Church did a magnificent job of covering up the act, protecting the perpetrator, and making me out to be a lying, scheming little whore.

Sorry to interject such a sour note, but I'm still pretty bitter with the Church. I've not given up on Christianity. I'm not sure it can function as my total belief system, but I think the teachings of Christ are amazing, and you could do much worse than to live by his teachings. I know the problem is with how some people interpret his teachings, not with the belief set itself.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
BTA, i am truly sorry to hear about your experience, I think its horrible how the Catholic church has dealt with these situations. they are a horrible organization, and I wouldn't cry if it came crumbling down. Now I know attacking them isn't the right thing to do, but I don't care, in my opinion they are no better than the Ku Klux Klan.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by BetterThanAverage@Nov 18 2004, 05:06 PM
Sorry to interject such a sour note, but I'm still pretty bitter with the Church. I've not given up on Christianity.
I also am not happy about the way the Church has handled such cases. The Church has been a great comfort to me personally, but I realise that many have been affected negatively by certain priests and the ecclesiastical hierarchy. If you are looking for a denomination that holds much of the same doctrine (though not to say dogma) as the Catholic Church, you might look into the High Episcopal, Old Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox Churches. You might find what you're looking for there.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BTA, your treatment by that perpetrator was completely abhorrent, but the coverup by the others was equally so. I know this was the common practise of the time, I stated earlier that my own mother went through the same thing. I have never been able to pass a Catholic church without getting cold chills and feeling a deep sadness, knowing how sad she was most of her short life. I hope your are able to reach a place of resolve soon and find peace within yourself, you deserve it, and much more! I have found it to be very gratifying to know that there are many Catholics who do not molest children, or support coverups- the more recent exposures of these problems in the Catholic church were long overdue. I hope in earnest the horrors you experienced will no longer be tolerated and excused by the clergy, they are criminal acts and must be prosecuted as such.

Phenix, when we began this thread, I took the stance of Christianity inly to make a point, I had no idea it would go on so long. I was not raised Christian, or any faith for that matter. Because of my mother's situation, she was in a religous crisis while I was growing up. It wasn't until I was 17 and living away from home that I began investigating churches, prior to that I was a confirmed atheist. My studies of religion have spanned Zen Buddism, Mysticism, Christianity, Hinduism, Agnosticism, and most recently Baha'i. I don't belong to any of these faiths, I was merely trying to understand how someone who did could use that faith to give credence to hatred. Because I have studied it, I do have some attatchments there, but I do not now nor have I ever felt that any of the religous disciplines were near the "Truth" I wanted to discover. Existential philosophy is as close as I've gotten to a gratifying answer to the questions that plague mankind, but even that leaves me feeling somewhat flat.

I feel many times blesses to be at the beginning! I hope I can come back here time after time, never knowing if I'm making progress or not. I awake each day with the certain knowledge that today I get to make a lot of mistakes, and if I'm really lucky, a few of them will be new ones. This is how we learn, not by "knowing everything" and regurgitating platforms of other people's ideas. Last year when I began this leg of my quest, I audited a class on Mysticism to improve the flow of ideas and get some new reading material- it was fun being around those young minds and getting their unspoiled reactions to things, and very enlightening as well. I was expecting to be blown away by their openness, but instead was alarmed at how much the influences of their parents had made it's way into their heads. Alas, Cincinnati sucks. It is my great privleledge to count myself amoung the immature souls.

GBO, I said many times in this thread that we are not far off, because I believe we are not. I don't think we have "irreconcilable differences", at least I'm not filing for divorce yet. I think we both have ideas in transition, which makes both of or arguments somewhat liquid at the moment. There are worse place to be. You and I are in it for the long haul, being irritated at a person doesn't mean that they have no worth, at least not to me. I hope that makes sense. If I gave you the impression I was writing you off, I sure didn't want to do that. Because I am an egotistical bitch, I sometimes seem to be saying "shut up" when I'm really saying "I just can't listen to this right now". As I've said before, I've grown more from talking to you than from many other friends and that is not something I would forfeit easily. Perhaps there was even fear on my end that that would happen, because of the issues we discussed on the phone. Maybe I'm selfish in addition to bitchy, it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

DMW, you are such a delight to me in every way. I treasure your insightfulness, kindness, gentleness, and ESPECIALLY the fact that you are a Catholic. I was so very afraid of you when I first came here because of my former views that all Catholics were evil. I have not had many Catholic friends, just the ones who had renounced their religion, and it has been wonderful to know that one can remain true to their religion, and not support it's flaws. I really respect you for that. Your intelligence and careful study have not been lost here, I wish more dogmatic people of every denomination could see how we all treat each other and how we are all growing, I really love you guys for this. Jana

Phenix

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I receive a "Saying of Jesus" everyday by email free from beliefnet.com. Here's today's:

"Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy." Luke 12:1

Now let's have some interpretations folks! LOL

GBO, I think I found the reference you needed. It's John 13: 34,35:

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (NRSV)

If this is correct, would you mind restating your contention? I'm not egging you on, I just can't remember exactly what your issue with this was. Thanks.

Phenix

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
To the person who asked me where in Berkeley I went to school, it's the Graduate Theological Union affiliated with UC-Berkeley. The Union is made up of nine seminaries: 3 Catholic (Jesuit, Dominican, Franciscan), 1 Lutheran (ELCA), 1 Baptist (Northern), 1 Presbyerian (USA), 1 Unitarian Universalist, 1 UCC, 1 Episcopalian. In addition, there's an Institute of Buddhist Studies, Orthodox Institute, School of Applied Theology, etc. It's liberal, inclusive, open to fresh ideas and perspectives, and was the best 4.5 year investment of time I could have made! They have certificate, M.A. and Ph.D. programs in 9 specialized areas & apart from a handful of required classes at your school of affiliation, you can take all your other classes anywhere you want. Totally ecumenical.

I also want to apologize to BTA for being so unintentionally flippant about your feelings toward the Church. I just figured it was the usual "Catholic guilt" thing. How stupid of me. Most of my friends who are cradle Catholics, are no longer practicing or even consider themselves Catholic. They feel damaged and abused. I was spared that because I converted at 33 in a liberal parish/archdiocese & wasn't a defenseless minor. I'm what's known as a "progressive" Catholic. To be more blunt, I'm so happy that the karma police have caught up with the Historic Episcopate (including His Holiness JPII). Jesus said, "Whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap". What goes around comes around. The Church of Rome is reaping what it's sown, and I'm sorry it sowed damage on you. That is just Fucked up! However, you're dealing with it, you have a right to be bitter and you didn't inject a "sour note"; I'd call it a note of evil realism, which we all need to be reminded of. "The leaven of the Pharisees..." It's a testament to your resilience that you haven't completely turned your back on the teachings of Jesus. You've really had to separate the message from the messenger!!

My boarding school roommate is the son of the Episcopal Bishop of Washington D.C. and was abused by a country priest as a boy. In his mid 20s, he publicly outed this guy with the full support of his parents, sued the Episcopal Church, and founded the first support group for survivors of (Episcopal) Priest Abuse! This was the mid to late 80s! That takes balls. Again, accept my apology for being dismissive about something I knew nothing about. Rock on...BTA, keep on searchin...XXOO

BetterThanAverage: First and foremost, thank you all for your kind words. They really do mean a lot. I'm new here, you don't know me yet, and I don't know you. I appreciate that you've reached out to a relative stranger with words of support. In lurking around these boards, I've found that, over all, kindness and wisdom prevail. It's a good place to be.

Secondly, I don't want any of you to get the idea that I'm a Catholic basher. DMW, I especially hope I didn't offend you. I'm glad that the Church has been such a comfort to you, as it has for untold millions. There are good and bad priests, and I know that the good outweigh the bad by a huge margin. I also know that most, if not all, Catholics abhor the Church's "dirty little secret." My brother is still a practicing Catholic, and I admire and respect him for his faith, as I do you, DMW.

Phenix, no harm, no foul. You couldn't know, and there's no reason for you to apologize. No offense was taken, believe me. In my earlier post I was very vague about my "issues" with the Church, purposely, and I didn't feel you were being dismissive. You were advising based on the information you had, and you were obviously coming from a place of love and compassion. That can never be wrong or bad.

Madame Z, I'm so very sorry to hear about your mother's experience. I expected that you knew exactly where I was going with my vague reference, and you read between the lines correctly. My heart goes out to your late mother and to the rest of your family, who were no doubt deeply affected by your mother's deep sadness. My peace is coming in slow increments. Very slow, I'm afraid. I've spent the last 33 years trying to get past the feelings of guilt that were instilled in me by the rape and the attendant cover up. When I say I was made out to be a lying, scheming little whore, those are the exact words that were used, in front of most of the congregation, when I tried to tell what happened. My family and I were ostracized by the clergy, the parishoners, and the deeply religious community around the church. At that time, there was no one talking about this problem. It was a dark time for me, and I'm only beginning to see the light at the end of THAT tunnel. Thanks for your kind words, MZ. And keep enjoying your beginnings.

Peace.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BTA, thanks for your words of support, for one who has his own issues to deal with, I find that incredibly generous. I have had a lot of time to deal with my feelings, but as my mother died of a stress-related aneurism, I can't help but feel that her trauma played it's part. She had a pacemaker at 39, in addition to several other unrelated physical ailments. I have vowed in my own life not to hold things in, as I feel certain that stress is the strongest killer around. If it is possible, I would wish you to try to release as much of it as possible. I couldn't save my mother, she died in my arms, but if I spread this message maybe I can help someone- anyone else- not to repeat this mistake with their own life. What they took was your innocence, your childhood and your belief in the love of God, perhaps even the goodness of others, but they did not take your life. Please don't forfeit this! You are amoung friends here, feel free to pm me anytime if you'd like to discuss this or anything further.

Phenix, thanks for the referenced Jesus quote GBO and I were both using, neither of us could remember where it was. I think his point was that love is more valuable given freely, and that being given a commandment to love lessens its' greatness. While I agree with that semantically, I don't think that was the exact point Jesus was trying to make. I feel that Jesus was trying to illuistrate that putting effort end energy into TRYing to love your neighbor was a more holy undertaking than obeying the law. I know it's upsetting for me when I try to argue a point in the Bible, only to find our that the original Greek meant something else, or that during the context of the time the meaning was different, or that taken into consideration the folkloric nature of the Bible, it's just not engraved in stone. GBO is a very logically minded person and is taking literally the word "commandment" in reference to "Loving thy neighbor" so in that context, I can completely see his point. GBO, I hope I do not offend by trying to state your side, and I hope I have understood you well, my friend.

Love is "doing" word, not a "thinking about doing" word. Love made visible through works is a beautiful thing. I think the reason I got so into the church I was attending during the early years of my sobriety was that they encouraged us to get up off our asses and do something in the community, NOT preach while doing it, NOT take donations or invite people to church, and in fact NOT explain much more than "I'm doing this to show God's love in a practical way", and only that if pressed. We gave away food, lightbulbs, garbage bags, helped rake leaves, handed out free cokes at busy intersections, it was so fun to contribute both money and time to these little "doings", and it really helped me understand the concept of giving love with no expectation of return. Our Pastor, to overcome his ego, regularly went door to door and offered to clean toilets. He went to homes, bars, the AA center, anywhere. He was a very inspirational man to me. My daughter and I held a vigil for him when he had a surgery go wrong and nearly died, it was something that brought she and I closer. He did recover and after several years of rehabilitative therapy is almost back to normal, although he preaches far less in favor of continuing his works. He did not sue his doctors, although it was clearly malpractise as his aorta was punctured during a gallbladder surgery, which I found amazing. It's one thing to preach love but another thing to do it when confronted. I found that rather Christ-like. The fact that I no longer see myself as a Christian will never diminish the affects he had on my life.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes madam, you did make my point for me, and thank you for sparing me the time to type it all out, I am a lazy fuck I'll admit. My only problem with listening to what jesus may or may not have said is that its all up for interpretation, and we can all take whatever we want from it. i see it differently from what you and Phenix see and thats fine, thats whats great about the Bible, you can take what you want from it. its gets bad when bad people use it to justify THEIR stupid ideas, and attribute it to being on "god's side." No one can really truly know if Jesus indeed said any of the things in the gospels, or if some he actually did say, and if some were made up, or if all of it was made up or what. We can never know what he really meant either. Thats why I've decided to take what I want and interpret it my own way and use other sources to come to a conclusion. The bible is so convoluted and contradictory that it could be interpretted to say anything thats wanted, basically because it is so vague and allegorical at times and because it had many different authors. You know what they say about too many cooks.... I tend to put more "faith" in works that are more precise and blunt about what they are saying. Christian apologetic books, and atheistic anthologies command most of my respect. Thats why I would rather books about the Bible, then the Bible itself. I'd rather read other peoples many and differing interpretations of it, then come to a conclusion. I feel that actually reading it wouldn't get me anywhere because of it being vague. Maybe I'm mistaken, and maybe someday I will read it through. It's just so damn boring and wraught with primitive thinking.