I can't fathom having a relationship with a religious person.

B_theaussieone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just would find it very diifficult being a non-believer in theology to have to entertain their 'faith'. Or go to church, or listen to their family enouraginging religious principles.

I think it'd be even more difficult to have a child with a religious person. I'd hate to have my children grow up being indoctrinated into that mindset and those ideas.

But the difficult thing is , there are alot of religious people. SO my options become drastically limited.

What do you think religious and non-religious people of cross-faith or faith-nonfaith relationships??

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Depends on the person and their religious beliefs. In general I wouldn't consider it as I consider religion to be superstition and most organized religions to be on a continuum of obnoxiousness.
That said, I doubt I would have any difficulty being in a relationship with someone who was involved in Zen Buddism. I might join is as I see that as a meditative practice that is designed to foster self-awareness. Similarly, people I have met who are members of the Friends have generally been lovely and totally uninclined to press their views on others.
I would be uninclined to be in a relationship with someone who was more than nominally involved in any other religions I can think of at the moment.
Dave

B_patrickmcc

Sexy Member
Media
Best sex I ever had was with a holy roller southern Baptist girl. Squeaky clean during the day, and an absolute sex animal in bed. On the other hand, messed around with a Mormon guy once, and he was the one that intiated it, and he started sobbing he was going to hell with me balls deep. Talk about a boner killer.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If the religion involves lots and lots of sex in order to imitate the god(s), you might have a wonderful time! Tantric practices are found in many faiths.

D_Edwin Eatser

Sexy Member
Media
Years ago I met a girl at a party and took her back to my place for the night. We started kissing and undressing and I asked her if she took the pill - this was in the 70s, before the AIDS scare - and she replied she didn't, as she was a Roman Catholic and contraception was a mortal sin. I was a bit taken aback as she was obviously keen to have sex, so asked her if it was OK to use a condom. She said yes, and if I hadn't got one she had some in her bag.

After we'd fucked were were cuddling and chatting, and I asked why it was a sin for her to use the pill but not a sin for her to carry condoms for her lovers to use. She replied that she wasn't bothered if her lovers committed a mortal sin as it wasn't her responsibility, and anyway I wasn't an RC and didn't believe in such things. I asked if extramarital sex was a sin, and she replied yes, but not a mortal sin. I found her logic very odd and slightly disturbing! We were together for almost a year, and she really loved sex as long as I took responsibility for not making her pregnant.

I think mixing religious prejudices with natural desires is a recipe for trouble!

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It depends on how "religious" we're talking. If a person's life and existence is majorly defined by his or her religion, it's much more difficult to get along with them even as just friends, if your religions conflict.

Someone might say the same about any major issue. For example, it's difficult for guys who consider their "gayness" to be a defining feature of their lives to be in relationship with guys who consider it more casually (the ones who say "I'm just a normal guy; I don't do the gay thing" but still want to have a relationship with other guys). The same for someone who is very politically active with someone who is politically apathetic. It's all just factors of compatibility.

Miscer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She replied that she wasn't bothered if her lovers committed a mortal sin as it wasn't her responsibility

Hahahaha! What a dumb whore.
(Though probably a lovely person in all other ways - religion is a poison, a parasite that can infest normal minds)

OP: I don't blame you. I dated a religious girl for a few months and she would always bitch about evolution - naturally, she didn't have a fucking clue what she was talking about. There's no way in hell I would have a long-term relationship with someone who was a hardcore religious nut.

borntobeking

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If we're talking about a serious relationship and having kids and all then I think people should only settle down with people that believe what they believe. It makes life easier if you are not constantly at odds over theological differences. Casual dating is one thing but something serious should be entered into with two like-minded people.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Best sex I ever had was with a holy roller southern Baptist girl. Squeaky clean during the day, and an absolute sex animal in bed. On the other hand, messed around with a Mormon guy once, and he was the one that intiated it, and he started sobbing he was going to hell with me balls deep. Talk about a boner killer.
Two of the cutest little "Morns" came by yesterday; I kept them talking because they were so hot. I kind of got the impression that they were bored with the spiel they delivered.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are religious people, and then there are religious people, if you ask me. I couldn't have a relationship with someone who's devout or super-orthodox, but I've had lots of totally satisfying relationships with religious guys. I mean, I've dated all kinds of Jewish guys, and they weren't pressuring me to eat kosher or get cut - and neither did their families. That kind of religious person is a-ok with me.

As for your child being indoctrinated, I had that talk with a lot of guys. I would want my kids to know about religion and know about atheism and antitheism as well. I can absolutely see where arguments would come up, of course. To use the example of the Jewish guys I dated, I'll be damned if my kids are getting circumcised without their own informed, adult consent. But find me any couple that hasn't fought over how to raise their kids. The most rational people I know still get a little bit crazy when it comes to their kids.

I can understand why anyone would balk at dating a blind-to-the-facts holy roller. I wouldn't want to date any closed-minded, dogmatic, willfully-ignorant blowhard either. But there are a lot of religious people who don't fit those categories.

bigunzippedstudent9

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Depends how hardcore religious they were. I tell ppl I'm Catholic (if they ask), b/c I was raised as one... but in reality I don't practice it. If I had to alter my lifestyle for someone else's religion I doubt I'd continue on in that relationship, but again it depends on what they were asking of me.

upone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Best sex I ever had was with a holy roller southern Baptist girl. Squeaky clean during the day, and an absolute sex animal in bed.

Most confusing relationship I ever had was with a fundamentalist girl I picked up in a bar. She was drinking club soda, playing pool with some other girls. We went to my place. Right inside the door she knelt and gave me the hottest blowjob I'd ever had; about a minute in I was squirting my load and she was swallowing. We dated for over a year. She was a real fundamentalist who believed that if she didn't cum, it wasn't a sin, but she believed that women had to "serve" men. She would let me fuck her if I came quickly, but she preferred to blow me. A couple of times she was so hot that she came anyway; those times she insisted that I whip her with a belt she always wore, to atone for her "sin". It was weird.

D

deleted356736

My wife is Christian and is at Church while I write this. I'm Agnostic, so we agree to disagree. But this is only one aspect of our relationship, and we have many, many things in common and a great sex life too! There are many parts to a relationship, and spiritual beliefs are but one, as long as both of you set boundaries as the relationship progresses. That is, agree to let each have their difference of opinion.