I can't fathom having a relationship with a religious person.

D

deleted306682

Interesting thing. I was religious when my wife and I got married. Then I had a crisis of beliefs and became atheist. That was a rough few months. We're doing better these days, and still going strong. I attend church, but I bring a book to read during the sermon. (Keeps me from throwing things at the pastor.)

I think we're doing okay because the way she lives her life and the way I live mine aren't that different. Besides beliefs in the supernatural, nothing really changed.

If I was entering a relationship now, no, I wouldn't go with anyone religious. But I still love her, and I married her. Commitment is commitment, regardless of imaginary friends.

bassman41

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was religious for a long time, but over the years it made less and less sense to me to believe in a supernatural power who was going to send me to heaven or hell after I died because of the actions I committed while alive. Some time ago, I came to the conclusion that "heaven" and "hell" and "God" are stories that were made up, probably to control people. I can make up my own stories, thank you very much! The point is, that before growing beyond these beliefs I had no relationships and no sex life. Now I have both, and I'm happier than I've ever been.

CuteBoiSAV

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm Presbyterian. I'm a member of the church, and I've been very involved in the past(not so much now, due to the conservative nature of my current congregation.) I've found that those who believe need no proof, and those who don't simply don't get it. I never ever force my faith on other people. I've never forced in any of my exes, but I also will debate you when people start tearing into my faith, or me for having it. Faith is hope. It gives us something more to strive for, to believe in. That's why there are so many religions and denominations. It speaks to human nature to aspire, to want more, and our longing for... well... longevity, and eternity.

I find that someone who wouldn't want me, ALL of me, and my thoughts, probably doesn't deserve me in the first place, and wouldn't appreciate me if they had me. They'd simply spend their time "corrupting" or trying to alter me, which isn't healthy for either party involved.... and militant atheism is just as bad as militant religion. Athiesm isn't to be forced on people, you can't do it. It's reason, "enlightenment," and as such should be talked about and never forcefully....(I seem to recall an athiest saying that once....)

D

deleted306682

Faith is hope. It gives us something more to strive for, to believe in. That's why there are so many religions and denominations. It speaks to human nature to aspire, to want more, and our longing for... well... longevity, and eternity.

I take issue with someone who decides they don't like the real world and then goes and invents a world they like better. It's fantasy escapism. I get why it's popular. I don't understand at all the respect it commands. It's just a high off a different kind of acid.