I claim this poo ...

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Hmm . . . With some people, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it wasn't libelous.

Hey, at least Pat Buchanan had the balls to mention poverty, even if he was a Neo-Nazi.

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If I may kindly redirect you away from Merriam-Webster and towards the United States Supreme Court, please follow my reasoning. In order to prove defamation in this type of case the plaintiff must show 6 things (ALL 6).

1) Defamatory language on the part of the defendant
2) The defamatory language must concern the plaintiff
3) Publication of the defamatory language by the defendant to at least one third person
4) Damage to the reputation of the plaintiff
5) The falsity of the defamatory language
6) Fault on the defendant’s part.

To be clear I will now repeat the alleged defamatory statement “Robert Byrd, Senator from W. Virginia and KKK member who is a now a Democrat leader for one.”

I would say that this claim of libel certainly succeeds on elements 1, 2 and 3. It fails on elements 4, 5, and 6.

To answer your point, Dickbulge, I agree that being a member of the KKK is a certainly a bad thing. Therefore, the statement contains defamatory language. So it passes element 1.

It is obvious that the statement concerned Sen. Byrd so it passes element 2.

It was obviously published so it passes element 3.

Element 4 requires damage to Sen. Byrd’s reputation. This type of case requires pecuniary loss to prove damage. There clearly is none here so this element fails and therefore there is no libel.

Element 5 is tricky in this case. One must carefully analyze the statement. Please note that the time frame is ambiguous in the statement. The words “is” and “now” seem to refer to him being a leader of the Democratic Party not about being a member of the KKK. One must also remember that Sen. Byrd was indeed a member of the KKK. Was Bigenuf stating that he IS a member of the KKK? Or was he stating that he WAS a member of the KKK? The meaning is unclear and therefore cannot be false. Element 5 fails as well and there is no libel.

Element 6 requires a showing of fault on Bigenuf’s part. The standard of fault is known as “malice”. So what is Malice? In New York Times v. Sullivan (376 U.S. 254 (1964)), the US Supreme Court ruled that the defendant must have been subjectively aware that the statement was false or that he was subjectively reckless in making the statement. Recklessness requires that he actually entertained doubts about the truthfulness of the statement. There is no realistic way for the senator to prove that Bigenuf actually knew that the statement was false or that he was reckless in making it. Therefore, this element fails and there is no libel.

BTW Jon’s statement about Pat Buchanan is not libelous either because it fails elements 4 and 6. Though, I will agree with the sentiment about his rather disturbing political views.

As for Sen. Byrd being compassionate, let me cite two examples of his famed compassion. When Max Cleland was elected to the US Senate, Sen. Byrd initially denied him entry to the Senate floor for the grave crime of being disabled and needing to use a wheelchair. The ever so compassionate Sen. Byrd was actually relying on the Senate rules that forbade the use of wheelchairs on the Senate floor. There were two previous disabled Senators who used wheelchairs and Sen. Byrd pointed out that they were happy to allow Senate staff to carry them around the Senate floor. Apparently, the Senator from West Virginia didn’t understand why Max Cleland couldn’t do the same. After Max Cleland expressed outrage at the thought of being carried around the Senate floor, Sen. Byrd backpedaled, but still denied Sen. Cleland entry to the Senate floor until the Senate rules had been properly amended. If that wasn’t enough, in 1997 Sen. Byrd was the ONLY senator to object, and therefore, refused entry, to a legally blind staffer’s use of a guide dog on the Senate floor.

The man is not compassionate; he is a prick and should go the way of other senatorial gasbags like, Jesse Helms, and Strom Thurmond. If we could convince Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy to join them, we might just be able to air out the Senate.

Ok Defamation 101 and Senatorial History 204 are now concluded please continue with your regularly scheduled thread.

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by dickbulge+Mar 23 2005, 05:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dickbulge &#064; Mar 23 2005, 05:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Hockeytiger@Mar 22 2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by mindseye@Mar 22 2005, 10:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bigenuf
@Mar 22 2005, 10:55 PM
You&#39;re right, I do find liberals to be more humorous.  Robert Byrd, Senator from W. Virginia and KKK member who is a now a Democrat leader for one.  He&#39;s a riot.
[post=293232]Quoted post[/post]​

Robert Byrd. That&#39;s your first choice?

P.S. Without the word &#39;former&#39; in there, where it belongs, your post is libel.
[post=293260]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry, it is not libelous with or without the word “former”.
[post=293265]Quoted post[/post]​

OK I&#39;ll bite, why isn&#39;t it libelous? Fits the definition in my Merriam-Webster- unless you believe belonging to the KKK is a good thing.
[post=293268]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Libelous? or not? He is very much like the cocks/vaginas represented in this discussion.

They "started" out "small and all "grew" into magnificance. Things change people change and our dicks (thank ya all) grew to magnificance.

Nothing wrong with that, eh??

blackwood

bigenuf

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 23 2005, 06:00 AM
Gee, let&#39;s see.....he belonged to the KKK for a year or so some SIXTY years ago&#33; Bigenuf, was that the best you could do with the whole internet at your disposal? I am sure plenty of young people do things they regret when they get older, from what I&#39;ve read he seems to be an eloquent speaker and compassionate man. I wonder what you found so offensive about him other than his extremely distant past?

Yeah, it would be tough NOT to call it libel when someone&#39;s accused of being a member of a hate group they joined in 1942 and subsequently distanced themselves from in 1943. Intentionally deceitful at best.
[post=293275]Quoted post[/post]​

I can see the headlines now "George W. Bush admits he joined the klan many years ago, Dems say let bygones be bygones."

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
while I have no political views or affiliations myself, bigenuf makes a valid point. if you&#39;re dumb/psychotic enough to become a politician, expect every stupid pointless detail of your life to be magnified for public consumption. in fact the more stupid and pointless, the bigger a deal it is.

"god" bless "democracy."

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, but bush&#39;s long rich history of bullshit is barely even discussed&#33; Try to compare his antics to Clinton&#39;s blowjob, and my brain just goes on "tilt".

I was only saying for the most part I found Democrats vs. Republicans to be akin to intellectuals vs. spewers of rhetoric. I realise that&#39;s far more inflamatory than what I originally said, and I know there are people out there who will surf the net furiously to dredge up every example poosible to the contrary, regardless of how flimsy, but it my own lifetime, this is the conclusion I&#39;ve drawn. The very fact that this was the best example that could be found kind of echos my sentiments.

It was far less than 60 years ago that bush was getting in trouble with the law for driving drunk, brawling, bankrupting one company after another, and his past is barely mentioned. I would think in his position, his past would be far more relevant, but he says "Gawd" on tv, so he doesn&#39;t have to account for his behavior.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 23 2005, 06:59 PM
It was far less than 60 years ago that bush was getting in trouble with the law for driving drunk, brawling, bankrupting one company after another, and his past is barely mentioned. I would think in his position, his past would be far more relevant
[post=293417]Quoted post[/post]​
technically it would be, were it not for the fact that as a president and from a presidential family he has entire office-blocks full of people employed solely to uphold and defend his character, up to and including the concealment and/or falsification of existing information and the suppression of public examination. all prominent politicians have to do this (because nearly all of them are scumbags, and the ones which aren&#39;t are simply nuts), and bush is, in public terms, the most important politician in the world. I doubt that he personally has much or anything to do with the process - it&#39;s all engineered and sustained by his big-business and power-brokering supporters - but the end result is the same. it&#39;s barely-mentioned because they don&#39;t allow it to be mentioned, and they know that the vast majority of voters are too vapid and witless to bother considering anything that isn&#39;t constantly shoved under their noses.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Maybe we&#39;re just too used to getting it from all sides:

How long will it take you to figure out what&#39;s wrong with this pic?

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Pecker@Mar 23 2005, 03:47 PM
Maybe we&#39;re just too used to getting it from all sides:

How long will it take you to figure out what&#39;s wrong with this pic?
[post=293435]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL&#33;

Pecker, maybe I like my burgers long and skinny&#33;

LapDog :p

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 23 2005, 08:30 PM
Dr. Rock, sometimes, I just wanna kiss you&#33; (Other times, it&#39;s much more lewd).
[post=293431]Quoted post[/post]​
sometimes, I just wanna be kissed.

... not very often, though. most of the time I&#39;m ... much more lewd :9

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Mar 24 2005, 06:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Mar 24 2005, 06:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Mar 23 2005, 08:30 PM
Dr. Rock, sometimes, I just wanna kiss you&#33; (Other times, it&#39;s much more lewd).
[post=293431]Quoted post[/post]​
sometimes, I just wanna be kissed.

... not very often, though. most of the time I&#39;m ... much more lewd :9
[post=293696]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

*Licks Dr. Rock on the face*

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 23 2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but bush&#39;s long rich history of bullshit is barely even discussed&#33; Try to compare his antics to Clinton&#39;s blowjob, and my brain just goes on "tilt".

It was far less than 60 years ago that bush was getting in trouble with the law for driving drunk, brawling, bankrupting one company after another, and his past is barely mentioned. I would think in his position, his past would be far more relevant, but he says "Gawd" on tv, so he doesn&#39;t have to account for his behavior.
[post=293417]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, Bush has moved up in the world I see. As a younger man he was only able to bankrupt one company after another. Now he has plans to bankrupt Social Security. Meanwhile, he is at an alarming rate bankrupting this nation. If his policies continue much longer, America will be totally bankrupt. When the dollar plunges in value and it will, we will be paying much higher prices for all those imported goods from China and Japan and inflation will be rampant. But there won&#39;t be much we can do about it because China and Japan will hold all the American dollars. In other words they have been the bank and it will be a sad day when they forclose on America.