I don't like the gay flag

D_BarryBunwarmer

Account Disabled
Media
What is it with gays and rainbows? I don't like rainbows. I mean, when it rains and there is a rainbow, that's nice. But what's up with the flag? Couldn't gays have a cooler flag than that?

bond_to

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The rainbow is supposed to symbolize diversity. A ranbow is the spectrum of colour that can be seen when white light shines through a prism. It means that all colours of the rainbow are needed in order to have a beam of sunshine.

That's why the flag is a rainbow. Having said that, and coming from Canada, where gay rights are no longer a major issue, it's time to put the rainbow flag away, and bond with people that we have in common with regardless of sexuality.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The first Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 by Gilbert Baker, a San Francisco artist, who created the flag in response to a local activist’s call for the need of a community symbol. (This was before the pink triangle was popularly used as a symbol of pride.) Using the five-striped “Flag of the Race” as his inspiration, Baker designed a flag with eight stripes. Baker dyed and sewed the material for the first flag himself — in the true spirit of Betsy Ross.
Christopher Pinette, 12 Jun 1996

The design may have been influenced by flags with multicolored stripes used by various left-wing causes and organizations in the San Francisco area in the 1960s. The Rainbow Flag originally had eight stripes (from top to bottom):

hot pink for sex,
red for life,
orange for healing,
yellow for sun,
green for serenity with nature,
turquoise for art,
indigo for harmony, and
violet for spirit.
Handmade versions of this flag were flown in the 1978 Gay Freedom Day Parade.
Steve Kramer, 24 April 1998

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Never knew there was such a thing as a gay flag but just looked up an image online and yeah, that’s pretty gay!

I wonder if Jesse Jackson uses the same one for his “Rainbow Coalition"

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks to all who have posted an intelligent response to this topic, especially nudeyorker.
Until the day comes when we have equal rights, the Rainbow should remind a;; that there is still a struggle going on.
I'm not asking for people to like, just understand why the flag exists.

rodevon10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think the gay flag looks GAY! I have an equality sticker on my car, but, I don't think I'd ever fly that flag in my yard. It's OK to me if others do.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As an aside from this topic: when I was in Law School whenever I had a bad day I listened to Rainbow Connection and These Boots are Made for Walking and We're All AloneI still do, but I've added Why D'Ya Do It? and Winter Light I'm too twisted for young children I know!