I Dont Like the Way This Smells...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Androo: Has anyone else noticed, after the "election," the sudden greater influx of commercials or infomercials in TV, radio and print media regarding the registration of 18-26 year-olds for US Selective Service? Of course the appraoch is rather positive: "Ensure your eligibility for college loans" etc. Anyway, something smells a little fishy; I'm just a tad leery. :glare:

2. Freddie53

Gold Member

If it smell like a fish, it probably is a fish. The plans for the next four years weren't told to the American public. War in Iraq with the military draft - can pay draftees what they want. The dismantling of social security leaving old citizens completely in dire poverty. the growth of money for just the upper two percent of the population, and the gradual dismantling of the public schools, and

the real big plan. To completely make over the Supreme Court with justices that will rule to take away basic rights we have had for 200 years. Bush and his gang want an ologarghy. An olagarghy is rule by a few at the top. Not to be confused with a dictatorship that is based on the persona of one political figure.

Bush is a figurehead for the group that is really calling the shots.

The religious right only had a say in that they were needed for their votes to put Bush over the top. They will be given lip service as they will be need four years from now. They aren't really in control.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

There's more to this story: The Department of Defense is actively recruiting volunteers to serve "if necessary" on local draft boards. (Source 1) (Source 2)

And if you want to apply to serve on a draft board yourself here's the application page.

4. Freddie53

Gold Member

I'll pass. I don't want to be part of the murder of our young people 18 26 for a cause to raise profits for Haliburten and make Bush feel like a great stud cowboy.

*Weapons of mass destruction have been located in Antarctica. They are presently being hidden by the natives there. Quick, get an army ready. Oops! no oil there. Scatch that idea.*

5. jonb

Gold Member

The increase in ads has been for a while now. Recruiters tend to hang around anywhere teens typically hang out and ask them about it.

There is no big reward for volunteers. There's so much red tape to get Montgomery GI spending, you might as well spend the day you graduate to the day you die paying off student loans.

However, if you still think Saddam had weapons, I recommend you join the army right now. (Weed 'em out of the gene pool.)

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    GWB clearly said Iraq was armed with WMD.
    GWB clearly said Saddam was behind 9/11.
    GWB clearly said he'd go to war only as a last resort.
    GWB clearly said coalition soldiers would be welcomed in Iraq.
    GWB clearly said the occupation of Iraq would be short lived.
    GWB clearly said his administration has no plans for a military draft.

So there no reason for any 18-26 year olds to be leery.

SG

7. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Canada anyone?

8. Imported

Gold Member

Androo: Hmm... Very interesting, Mindseye; I wasn't aware of that.
    Hehehe Jonb, you've always the most sage advice. Still, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. My husband's a drafted Vietnam vet, so we're rather sensitive to these issues. As he says, "It's not the ones who die that I'm worried about as much as those who come back...". Does anyone know of any websites or organizations offering support or contacts to those already returning from Iraq, especially homeless?

(Canada's too cold, KinkGuy, I'd go back to New Zealand...)

9. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Can I go with you?

10. big_peter

big_peter New Member

11. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I haven't noticed any surge in commercials, but then I don't watch as much TV as I used to. I do remember seeing them ten years ago though, back when I was of draft age. I think it just looks more unseemly in light of the current political and military situation and we would notice the commercials more now. Ten years ago I didn't think much of it because there were no major wars going on and plenty of volunteer soldiers to fight.

The conspiracy theorists might want to keep in mind that reinstating the military draft would be just about the most unpopular thing that the president and Congress could possibly do. Even most people that support the Iraq war don't support it. The odds of it happening are very slim.

On the other hand, my biggest objection to the current administration hasn't been ideology, but incompetence. So if there's anyone that might try it, it's probably them.

12. Onslow

Gold Member

Androo, here in Manchester they finally opened a place for homeless veterans (Liberty House), sort of a transitional spot but that's another matter just glad that it finally happened. With regards to your request for info on websites and organizations I can offer you these few.

http://www.rollingthunder1.com they have a state chapter list which you can access by clicking on the appropriate button over on the left.
    next up is http://www.iraqwarveterans.org/links.htm
    and lastly I give to you http://groups.msn.com/IraqWarVeterans it is essentially a message and info forum and you will most likely need to register (it's free) in order to post your question; however, considering what you need it would be well worth it.
    I am sure there are lots of other websites to direct you towards organizations which would have the resources you are seeking and hopefully these just given can get you started.

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

And no one thought he/they would have the guts to steal all of Social Securities trust fund and do away with that either. It's going to be a VERY different world in another 4 short years. :(

14. Imported

Gold Member

Androo: Thanks for the suggestions, Onslow. I'll look into that.

Sounds good, KinkGuy. I'll make some sandwiches while you pack.

15. cypher13

cypher13 New Member

It seems I am in a distinct minority in these parts (I am referring to Phoenix, not this board), but I can say I hate this fucking war.

I hated Vietnam, I hated all the little actions here and there between Vietnam and here. I wasn't around for Korea, but I probably would have hated that one, too.

Yes, there are those times when war is, unfortunately, a necessary part of international policy. There are also ways of dealing with scum like Saddam Hussein, ranging from buying him off and sending him to a politically impotent exile (which I advocated) to hiring others to do your dirty work for you, albeit with pinpoint accuracy.

There seems to be a need for fighting, strife and the kind of glory that comes from it. I tend to think this is why Pat Tillman had to go and fight - and die - and why I wasn't the least bit surprised that he was killed by "friendly fire." We needed a "hero" for this war. We needed a dead hero as it is a corrupt, morally bankrupt struggle. When the United States could take the high moral ground in fighting wars, at leastrelative to this one, we could have living heroes, like Alvin York and Audie Murphy, who came home and told us of the righteousness of the fighting the good fight whilst selling war bonds.

Why is it that no one is coming home to tell us of the righteousness of this fight?

And why is it that women and children always get caught in the middle of guys with their toys? This goes back to time immemorial and as long as there are wars (read: as long as there are people), this will happen. And, until you actually see the horrors you create, until you have to deal with killing some fourteen year old kid who's trying to kill you - and you feel good about it until you have time to reflect. Until you smell the barbecuing flesh, see the wreckage and the people sick with things you have never experienced because you benefit from the most basic sanitation - you will never really know, and it is better to remain silent on these matters. I have seen, felt, heard, smelled and even tasted and I prefer thinking about other things. Indeed, this is one reason why I became interested in hypnosis

And then, you install your guy...remember Saddam Hussein used to be "our guy" and things go smoothly for awhile, then he tastes power and then he starts exerting it, usually in the worst possible ways, knowing that unless he really fucks up, the United States will step in and save his ass. And if he really does fuck up, well, we are back to square one, aren't we?

And, I fear, this is just Act I. This one is open ended and will never end....even as we watch our children, siblings, parents, lovers, friends, acquaintances, "heroes" and lots of others come home in boxes with a letter attached "Dear Mr. and Mrs. America, the President of the United States regrets to inform you...."

I hate this fucking war.

16. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

And no one thought he/they would have the guts to steal all of Social Securities trust fund and do away with that either. It's going to be a VERY different world in another 4 short years. :(
    [post=272725]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

While I agree that the administration is being deceptive about Social Security, no one has stolen "all" of anything. Drastic changes to the program are no farther along than Clinton's health care plan.

Stealing some of it? Every president in the last 20 years has done that.

17. oldman9x7

oldman9x7 New Member

While I agree that the administration is being deceptive about Social Security, no one has stolen "all" of anything. Drastic changes to the program are no farther along than Clinton's health care plan.

Stealing some of it? Every president in the last 20 years has done that.
    [post=273009]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

20 years???? Better check into that one. The FIRST president to dip into the Social Security funds was none other than the most holy FDR. I know because I was around at that time and was paying into it.

Face it - politicians just can't STAND to see large quantities of cash lying around. They simply have to grab some of it.

Gramps

18. madame_zora

Gold Member

I don't know how anyone can utter Clinton and

bush in the same paragraph, the former left a substantial surplus while the latter has plunged us into the worst deficit in the last 75 years. You can like the pres or not, but his agressive drain on our nations financial standing will be a gift left over from this administration for many years to come. It will be interesting to see what happens when China and everyone else we are now so deeply in debt to calls in the note. I'll be laughing my ass off at the blame shifting the Repubs will be doing then.

Clinton's surplus could have done a lot of good if not plopped into the hands of this moron, grrrrr. BTW, I don't think he can be blamed for not being able to get the Repubs to go along with his healthcare program.

19. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Zora, I agree with everything you say -- but would like to suggest one small correction. The deficit we have now is the largest ever recorded in the history of the United States, not just the past 75 years. I simply don't understand how the conservatives -- who are supposed to be paragons of fiscal restraint -- can abide his horrendous spending habits. Oh, that's right: everything and anything is justified in the name of national security and protecting marriage...

20. Imported

Gold Member

Kazon: This is a personal issue with me as I have quite a few buddies who are veterians of this and other wars. Who r either OVER there or in stateside not boots on ground status. I have seen a few burried with closed caskets..If I have to go to Virgina again ( Yes I have red state issues) for another funerial I will scream!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

It is very suspicious I have noticed the increased spending of my tax dollars to lure the poorer with college inticements..the latest comericial had the nerve to offer a free sports watch..of which I am paying for, as well.

My friends in the services stories as to what is actually happening over their and as to the condition of our troups when they come back is different than the shit that is plastered on the news.

I have seen the differences in a good college buddie of mine since his return. Lets just say, I have on a few occaisions been very neverious around him and I will not get in a car with him if he is driving...that says a lot, comming from me, a person who belives that speed limits are just suggestions and who once told a cop that I was not "driving fast I was just flying low"

ENOUGH!!

Draft saved Draft deleted