I don't trust Switzerland

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How did they remain neutral in WW2?

What have swiss guards got to do with the vatican?

Why are they not in the EU despite being pretty much the most central european country?

What are they REALLY going to do with the hadron collider?

I think Switzerland is the gateway to hell, their capital practically says so. :biggrin1:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I love Switzerland, but then I'm in league with the Khasmathoupourgos and regular visits to the gates of his gaff are pretty much a requirement.

It's a wonderful country to visit though, but I wouldn't live there.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
In league with the Khasmathawhatnow?

Ah the Khasmathoupourgos! It's a Byzantine Greek word which couldn't possibly be more obscure, it comes from a kind of theological poetry which was popular in the 10th century. It literally translates as "Servant in the Abyss" or "Servant in/of the Chasm". It's a sort of nickname/play on words for the Devil, because before the Fall Lucifer was god's greatest and most magnificent servant, and of course after the fall he dwelt in the Abyss. The Byzantinist in me is amused by the fact that the churchmen of Constantinople envisaged Lucifer rather like a disgraced high bureaucrat of the Byzantine imperial government.

Ergo- the worst thing a man could do in life, the most appalling sin, was to serve the Emperor ("God's Vicegerent") and then betray the Emperor, it meant that the relationship between the many Parakoimomenos or Chief Ministers of the empire with the Emperors they served was a mirror of that between god and his chief angelic servant. This was supposed to be a caution to these ministers should they be considering disloyalty.

I keep the word in my sig as a kind of badge to mark me out to other Byzantinists (should there be any), though I'm only an amateur myself... :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Nerd attack! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

123scotty

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
How did they remain neutral in WW2?

well they kept all the money, gold and treasures. invade us and we will burn it all. so a bunch of bankers

What have swiss guards got to do with the vatican?

hmmm a shifty bunch of bankers

Why are they not in the EU despite being pretty much the most central european country?

hmmm dodgy bunch of bankers would have to follow rules

What are they REALLY going to do with the hadron collider?

is that a dodgy bank ?

I think Switzerland is the gateway to hell, their capital practically says so.

hellish bankers

bb :biggrin1:
could be a banking thing lol

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1. How did they remain neutral in WW2?

2. What have swiss guards got to do with the vatican?

3. Why are they not in the EU despite being pretty much the most central european country?

4. What are they REALLY going to do with the hadron collider?

5. I think Switzerland is the gateway to hell, their capital practically says so. :biggrin1:

1. Switzerland remained "neutral* just because for the Drittes Reich it was the only way to communicate with the world. Had the war lasted a bit longer, Switzerland would have been invaded too. It is a fairy tale that the Swiss Army could resist the Germans.

2. The Swiss papal guards are the last mercenary army in the western world. And great hunks.

3. We have all sorts of treaties with the EU. Actually, we are much more "loyal" and integrated than the UK (Schengen, etc.). All our ATMs give out € as well as CHF. And that's also because we sit in the middle.

4. No idea. It is a Pan-European project anyway and it is located mostly in French territory.

5. Please explain.

Last edited:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ah the Khasmathoupourgos! It's a Byzantine Greek word which couldn't possibly be more obscure,

So obscure in fact that google only associates the word with YOU!!! You sure you didn't just make it up? :biggrin1:
5. Please explain.

You of all people should have got this play on words, what is your capital called?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
So obscure in fact that google only associates the word with YOU!!! You sure you didn't just make it up? :biggrin1:

No it really is just that obscure, I've only read the term once before in translations of a single source document, a fragment of a poem of uncertain attribution but thought to have been written by Symeon Metaphrastes.

A friend of mine who's a Lecturer in Byzatine studies in Berlin explained the meaning of it to me.

Mind you if Google says I'm a liar who am I to argue. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

You of all people should have got this play on words, what is your capital called?

When I think of the name of the federal capital, I obviously do not think of "burn" (phonetic uncertainties which can lead to an impoverishment of the english language: access vs. eccess, appetite vs. apatite, affect vs. effect etc.) but - if ever - Bärn, with a broad ae, which is how the inhabitants call it. But thanks for explaining.
Anyway, the largest banks are in Zurich and even the Swiss National Bank has a dual seat in Berne and Zurich. And believe me - although I am not a Bernese - Berne is a city of rare beauty.

Attachments

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I quite like this Swiss joke (not mine):

A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Englishmen are waiting. "Entschuldigung, können Sie Deutsch sprechen?" He asks. The two Englishmen just stare at him. "Excusez-moi, parlez-vous français?" The two continue to stare. "Parlate italiano?" No response. "Hablan Ustedes espagnol?" Still nothing. The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first Englishman turns to the second and says: "Y'know, maybe we should learn a foreign language…"

"Why?" says the other, "that bloke knew four languages, and it didn't do him any good."

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I quite like this Swiss joke (not mine):

A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Englishmen are waiting. "Entschuldigung, können Sie Deutsch sprechen?" He asks. The two Englishmen just stare at him. "Excusez-moi, parlez-vous français?" The two continue to stare. "Parlate italiano?" No response. "Hablan Ustedes espagnol?" Still nothing. The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first Englishman turns to the second and says: "Y'know, maybe we should learn a foreign language…"

"Why?" says the other, "that bloke knew four languages, and it didn't do him any good."

LOL, good joke.