I don't understand why it is any other countries business

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Does "[t]hat's what I am told by my Korean friends anyway" not count as a qualifying comment in your book, then?

It isn't that hard to qualify the generalization "Koreans want a peaceful re-unification..," by saying the more accurate, "[Many/Most/Some] Koreans want a peaceful re-unification..." And it really is a necessary qualification to make, otherwise it is a generalization, and certainly Koreans who don't want reunification wouldn't like to be characterized otherwise.

I honestly think, after a long while of reading Drifterwood's posts, that he's simply unaware that by forgetting to qualify statements, he ends up stating generalizations, even if they're not what he means. I think that's a lot of the reason myself and others interpret a lot of what he says as "Anti-Americanism" as well, because he uses the blanket term "Americans" whenever he's talking about an issue of that ilk, as opposed to qualifying precisely which group of the 300 million people in the United States he's talking about. It's an unfortunate habit because I think, in retrospect, Drifterwood has some good points to make, but they're often shrouded by the fact that they come across as generalizations.

Anyway, I realize I'm the peanut gallery, but I've come to like Drifterwood more recently after coming to realize this, and I'd love if he'd be willing to try to qualify his statements properly because then I'd understand them better. And sorry for using the third person when you're obviously present, DW, but there you have it. :tongue:

To be less off-topic, I'll say having a couple of friends in the South Korean government myself, the country's government's policy certainly is towards reunification in the future, and most of the people see reunification as inevitable and desirable. On that point, nobody who knows the issue would argue.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I really try not to say Americans especially after Mem's thread.

I honestly don't have such an issue with generalisations. I think it should be obvious that they are just that, and not a blanket statement that implies 100% conformity.

If you said, "The British like their Monarch", I think we would all realise that you don't mean that 100% of the British like their Monarc, but sufficient to make it an acceptable generality.

But anyway, I will do my best to restrict my habit.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I really try not to say Americans especially after Mem's thread.

I honestly don't have such an issue with generalisations. I think it should be obvious that they are just that, and not a blanket statement that implies 100% conformity.

If you said, "The British like their Monarch", I think we would all realise that you don't mean that 100% of the British like their Monarc, but sufficient to make it an acceptable generality.

But anyway, I will do my best to restrict my habit.

You Brits are so amenable.

See what I did there? :wink:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Whereas you prefer to

a/ ignore my qualification, dishonest as usual, and

b/ do what you wrongly accuse others of, as usual, to whole continents. "Europeans give themselves a pat on the back etc etc

Thank you Marco Polo.

yes, Holmes, I was clearly referring to every single European when I stated that. As much as you meant every single Korean. Difference is, to a sane person, what I wrote would have seemed anecdotal, where as what you wrote seems like you are attempting to speak for an entire nation, even when you admit you're working with very limited information.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
N. Korea Policy and Reunification Process : Gradual, Step-by-Step Unification

Go argue with their Government Nic. I am finding you borish at the moment.

I'm aware of what some Koreans want. It's a divisive issue. Some resent what they view as foreign interference (Japanese, Russian and Chinese as well as American) to reunification, others are quite glad to be seperate from the communist, dictatorial, severely impoverished and isolated north. Even those in favor of unification are likely loathe to do it under Kim Jong-Il's terms. Maybe if I had lived there recently I could get a better understanding. Oh wait... I have. nevermind.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
You seem to be in a slightly better mood Nic.

I have been going to Korea twice a year for the last eight years. Admit it, it's what most S. Koreans want and is the official policy of their Government.

I asked you to qualify your statement, you told me to eat shit and die at the time. Please tell us what your anecdotal experience/evidence is.

I am quite happy to be called on my comments/opinions. How about you?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You seem to be in a slightly better mood Nic.

I have been going to Korea twice a year for the last eight years. Admit it, it's what most S. Koreans want and is the official policy of their Government.

I asked you to qualify your statement, you told me to eat shit and die at the time. Please tell us what your anecdotal experience/evidence is.

I am quite happy to be called on my comments/opinions. How about you?

Twice a year? whoopee. I lived there.

What is it that counts as "qualifying" exactly? You googled up an article after the fact that seems to support your opinion. You want me to do the same?

When is it that we break out our penises and start swinging them around? I always forget.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Fuck... now I'm unzipped and I had started waving my penis about but I just stubbed it on the lamp. I'm going to have to visit urgent care now...

guess I'm sitting this one out

Nic, you were there for a couple of months. I was surprised how quickly you seemed to go home, but never asked you why.

I had a presumption based on eight years of having direct contact with the country. It was very easy to substantiate.

You made a comment about a continent that I believe you have visited once and in which I live, though I have never remotely heard of anyone saying anything to support your comment which you are unable to substantiate via Google or elsewhere.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The trouble with Arliss is that he skirts the ToS a little too well.
If there's a fly buzzing somewhere in your house are you going to knock over every piece of furniture trying to kill it or will you just ignore it until it dries up on the windowsill somewhere?.

I ban it, I mean a kill it, with a fly swatter or with bug spray. I don't ignore the bug.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Nic, you were there for a couple of months. I was surprised how quickly you seemed to go home, but never asked you why.

I had a presumption based on eight years of having direct contact with the country. It was very easy to substantiate.

You made a comment about a continent that I believe you have visited once and in which I live, though I have never remotely heard of anyone saying anything to support your comment which you are unable to substantiate via Google or elsewhere.

Hello Nic?

I guess you only do apple pie.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was there much longer than "a couple of months" It took me a minute to absorb what your comment was implying, but do you think I "went home so quickly" because of anti-American sentiment? If so, this is yet another incredibly asinine assumption/assertion of yours. I suppose your biannual trips to Korea over a few years give you more substantive contact with the culture I was totally immersed in for close to a year, and trump the fact I've had numerous Korean girlfriends and Korean friends and in the States live in Centreville, where about 15% of the population is Korean? Or is it that you speak with a British accent and that just makes it sound like you know what you're talking about? (at least I assume that's why they're always using them for the voice-overs on The History Channel)

You're as obstinate as George Bush. Is it really that hard for you to say: "the way I understand it most Koreans would favor reunification." If you had, I could have responded with a "yes, that's true, but there are still many who don't, particularly among the older generation. and some polls suggest as little as 20% of the population would favor reunification 'at any cost'." You could have responded with a "cheerio" and I could have given an "I reckon' so"... oh what a lovely chat we would have had.

Anyway it's not nice to pick on people with stubbed penises. I already said I didn't feel like arguing with you again, in what was an attempt at a humorous and diffusive manner. but true to form you keep prodding, bugger that you are.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ah Gillette, you are so sweet, not!

You pick and choose what you want to enforce.

Personally, I don't care. I can be on subject too.

I'd love to be able to go to Cuba some day. I wish our government (USA) had diplomatic relations with Cuba. It seems like our government's stance hasn't helped the Cubans at all.

I think that our government's stance is influenced by the rich white Cubanos that fled when Bautista was ousted. These rich white Cubanos living in Florida and New Jersey want to go back to the days where they ruled the island and had extremely cheap labor for their plantations.

The average Cuban is better off under this regime. That's a sad statement. Most of the people in Cuba were oppressed before the revolution. The oppressor changed from the rich white Cubano capitalists to Castro and his regime.

Hopefully, some middle ground can be reached there someday.

You could not be more wrong. I have family in Cuba. If they were in this country they would be middle class and make a good living. Instead they are hungry. Their rations are ridiculous. A half pound of meat per person per month. That is the size of two quarter pounders (per month). They have free health care, but no medication. We've had to send things that are easily available over the counter here such as eczema cream. They don't have air conditioning nor phones, nor computers in their homes. Things that the poor people in this country all have.

There is no freedom of press. Not on TV nor on radio nor in Newspapers.

My cousins wife is a doctor and she was told that she had to leave her family for 2 years to go volunteer in Venezuela.

You can not leave the country. About 7 years ago we tried to have my Mother's Niece come to visit, and even with my Mother's illness, the request was denied.

Dissidents are dissenters are routinely jailed.

There are elections, but who would dare vote against Castro, if per chance you might be jailed for it.

The people there are held captive and are being fed propaganda.
If you go there on vacation, please know that you are supporting this.

Lastly, if things were not so bad, why would people risk their lives to try to come to America?

Here is one last interesting story. My mother did visit once about 25 years ago. (People were allowed to visit their family members) When she came back they took her wedding ring. They never told her to claim it going in, but they took it and told her that she did not claim it the first place.

B_sugarandspice

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^ Yeah, I'm praying for Cuba.
I know what tyranny feels like.
When I was a child I was taught always fight for the down trodden. My parents were missionaries and at a Bible College.( I am not promoting the Bible ,just giving background)
They taught me to love all people and to always try to help others.
I just care and have always wanted to make a difference.
I have been given the privilege of serving others in my past and I still do as much as I can . I want to do so much more.
I have sometimes gone to extremes to be true to my convictions.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I was there much longer than "a couple of months" .

It seemed much shorter than that, I don't know why.

I have asked you to substantiate a patronising generalisation that you made. You responded with another dig at the British and me for some reason.

It never entered my mind that you would have left because of hostility to you being a US citizen. Have you seen Chomsky's comments about anti-americanism?