I feel smarter online!

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, I was noticing myself that I get more involved in non-sexual threads lately. When I'm in a group of people who are talking about politics or something deep, a lot of times I stay pretty quiet because I don't feel I have much to offer the conversation. Lately I've been getting more involved in "serious" discussions online and I'm noticing more and more that I have plenty to say, it's just that my brain doesn't move as fast as some people. So online is great because I can take my time to come up with what I want to say, and I actually come across as smart. It's so nice because obviously my good friends know me well enough but sometimes in casual company I think people might think I'm not too engaging. Since this is an online forum anyone else have this experience of being more comfortable strutting your intellectual stuff online?

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I agree with you partly.

Even though I am like you are (in not feeling comfortable enough sharing many of my thoughts around people that I don't know that well), I actually sometimes feel smarter talking to people in person! On the internet, and here at LPSG, I sometimes feel like my way of talking (through my writing) is lost on many people. In person, I never get the feeling that people don't understand what it is I'm trying to say. I think many times - being able to think something out and writing long responses (like I do!), may indeed cause what one has to say - to be lost on others. :(

In person, I at least have the added benefit of having body language and tone of voice to reinforce what it is that I am saying! (One of my PM buddies said that to me once!:wink:) On the internet, you can't really 'get' how someone is saying something. In example; if it's meant in a sarcastic way, or if what is being said is being said lightly, or in a joking and playful manner! I don't claim not to be plain spoken, but sometimes I think what I say (online) isn't always understood.

Like I say, in in-person conversations, I never (or rarely) get that feeling of someone not 'getting' what it is that I'm saying.

Overall though, I agree that the freedom (through its anonymity) of internet chatting, can indeed help one to hone skills that they wouldn't be able to otherwise in 'real life' conversations! And, of course, long thought out responses can often lead to long and better descriptive words, that actually describe something (or how you feel) much better than saying "you know?," ever could, in person!:smile:

Also, online political debates have that added quality of not being able to devolve into fist-fights!:biggrin1:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We have that in common, I guess. I try to keep clear of discussing politics, mostly because there are folks out there who go through a discussion by turning things you said back on you, or apply the tactics of verbal ambushes, let you make the first move all the time, and then just negate it. I, on the other hand, like talking facts, which is a lot more productive, but only possible if you have access to these. That's the good thing about online discussions, you can open a second window of your browser, and then have a look, google things up, or do other research. In reality, you can't walk off to the toilet every 30 seconds, and look things up, which gets you back to the abovementioned discussions. So you're quite right, online, you ARE smarter, your feelings are correct.