I for one welcome our fruit-flavored overlord...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HazelGod, Jun 24, 2010.

1. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    What the fuck, Apple?

Sure, some morons might not have any issue with Apple, Inc. constantly tracking and recording the geographic location of their iShit in real time, but if they do...tough titty, because Jobs won't let you play in his sandbox (which is the only place your iShit will work) if you don't agree to his rules.

Seriously, people...stop being distracted by shiny objects and open your eyes to the hook in your nose that's leading you around.

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Welcome to 1984, er, sorry, I meant the future.

In fairness this isn't new as Google has been doing similar geotagging for some time. I'm not sure about Microsoft based phones.Even without the specific software doing the tracking cell phones have always been trackable to a certain degree through tower usage and triangulation. If you've got a SIM card your phones location, and by extension your location, can be determined.

It becomes a matter of pros vs. cons.

A boy lost in the woods was located and saved from exposure by the cellular company remotely activating his GPS feature so the police could find him. (Pro)

If you're planning to commit a murder your phone can place you in the vicinity of the crime blowing your carefully crafted alibi to hell (Con?)

3. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

This is no surprise to me. They have been doing this for a while now. If you run a Mac they have all your information and are sharing it with others, only to make more money. They aren't doing too good on protecting the user from viruses and malware either. The new Snow Leopard is simply unsafe.

Apple (Snow Leopard) malware blocker collecting cobwebs | ZDNet

4. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:

SHHHH. Don't tell the Mac fanboys; they still believe that "Macs don't get viruses."

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gillette, I don't disagree with you at all...the problem I have is that, as Mr. Snakey points out, Apple is always surreptitiously collecting this location data and using it to fuel Jobs' new iAd business (of which he takes a 30-40% cut), whether you like it or not.

I know some people are ambivalent, and some couldn't care less...there's just something in me that bristles at self-serving monopolistic control structures and feels a strong disdain for those who allow themselves either unwittingly, or worse willingly, to be subjugated by it.

6. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm with you on that but I'm not sure what options we have, phone-wise.

There's always the disposable pre-paid phone, no identification needed, but they don't have the bells and whistles. I don't NEED internet access from my phone but, but...I want it.

I share your views but on this I'm a hypocrite because where phones are concerned I want the 'does it all' toy. If I absolutely must commit murder I'll just leave my phone at home.:smile:

Your disdain feels all warm and fuzzy, btw.

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

You can't even buy an iPad at the Apple store with cash. They say it's to prevent people buying and selling them to other countries. :rolleyes:

Plus what's the deal with iTunes and an update every 6 weeks. Every update makes iTunes slower and worse.

8. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

All of a sudden, I'm reeling back to Ma Bell times.....

9. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    :arms::You_Rock_Emoticon:

10. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Proud Verizon customer for 6+ years here

11. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:

That's why I recently switched to WinAmp (and stopped installing Apple's updates when I still used iTunes).

12. ksupimp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Looks like this once proud Verizon customer is being forced to ATT. Verizon had to divest its wireless assets in primaraily rural areas to gain regulatory approval when they bought Alltel. We have no other service provider out here in the sticks... Not sure what I will get to replace my Droid, but it looks like the iPhone is the only comparable option they offer for what I want.

Not too worried about tracking and such, since all wireless companies have been doing this for years. Since 2005, the FCC requires all cell phones must have a fully functioning GPS transmitter to comply with the E911 program. While you can "shut it off" (the mode where it's not constantly recieving satellite data) it is always on, just updating at intervals.

I'm not saying that it's not wrong, just that you have to give a little to get a little. Wow, guess this kind of illustrates the addage "your freedom ends where mine begins"...

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Beginning with the introduction of the iPod, I've increasingly seen ownership of Apple products to be more an act of vanity than convenience. The iPhone merely convinced me that my assumption was correct.

14. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Totally agree!

I don't own a single Apple product, and haven't for many years. Their products are for consumers who don't know any better and are just in it to feel cool.

Even their graphic design workstations are run-of-the-mill now that they are using the same IBM/Intel architecture that everyone else uses.

15. concupisys

concupisys Active Member

i think apple has become an obsession for a lot of people.... sure, their products are very user-friendly, but what i enjoy about technology is its diversity in features and aesthetics, it's intercompatibility with other technologies, and it's sustainability and lasting power in the tech-world....

apple makes that very difficult for its crazed consumers by constantly releasing new lines and versions of their products and software as fast as the fashion world is changing.... it's so not necessary, and takes away from the truly classic qualities that consumers should be seeking when investing in something as pricey as technology....

i for one go the microsoft compatible route.... with it, i can build my own computer systems, use portable media players that are compatible with more than one piece of software, and be able to have an operating system sustain itself for at least a decade before i need to upgrade it.... it's allowed me to make better choices in the technology that i invest my hard earned money in, and regardless of whether it's the latest and greatest, i stand proud with those products and learn to use them comprehensively....

one day, exclusive apple users are going to be faced with some major anomaly and will suddenly find that every piece of technology that they own stops working for them.... thousands of dollars of investment in one exclusive brand will suddenly be useless.... at least i know that if only one of my peripherals or one piece of software i own goes kaput, i need only replace that one little thing and everything else keeps running.... steve jobs and his band of minions may be ok for now, but as we all know: what goes up must come down....

.... and i will laugh and laugh and laugh....

:D

16. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I agree with ya, I don't own any Apple products not because I'm not vain but because I'm one of those people whose vanity is such that if everybody has something I don't want it, it's got people-cooties. Even before they were everywhere I thought Ipods were a boring design, they look like an afterthought, and all the Ipod's offspring suffer from the same problem.

The Macbook is an attractive thing but despite the world and his wife shouting in my earhole about how intuitive they are to use I find them frustrating.

Iphones are genuinely desirable, they look good, they're easy to use, aps are delicious. But they have a shit camera which is annoying for how expensive they are. The Iphone has people-cooties in spades though and often the absolute worst kind of people.

Ipad looks stupid. It seems like a stepping stone to some far superior piece of technology, like a stop-gap, a prototype.

I use iTunes but only because it's a relatively convenient way of storing my music, with useful features. But I never actually buy music from it.

I don't quite feel as strongly as Hazelgod does about evil-empire corporations but I do get where he's coming from and living in the same complex of buildings as Google's European headquarters I know exactly how much of a cult that company is, it's frightening, Apple shares characteristics with it but without some of Google's attractive qualities.

17. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I don't particularly like Apple, but their iPod Touch is very good. I got burned when I bought the Video iPod (60GB) for $400 when it first came out. I didn't use it very often and then the battery died in about a year.

I bought the 8GB iPod touch 1st generation and I am very happy with it. I can use free apps, use it as an MP3 and video player and I can connect to open Wifi hotspots. Not bad for $200. It also has an amazingly accurate touch screen.

What I don't like about Apple is the fanboys. Also how they nickel and dime you for everything. They won't include any software to convert your videos to the iPod format. They also don't include a lot of accessories that most other companies will.

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Full Disclosure: I have 2 iPods. Both were given to me. They are excellent for my gym trips and plane rides.

That said, interesting iPhone bar story. Bubba and I are at the bar a few weeks ago and this couple chats us up. One guys asks if I have an iPhone and I reply "No." He says, "You should get one they are SOOO awesome."

I say, "I think some of the things they do are cool, but its not a very good PHONE and its over-priced."

He says, "Look at this, check this out" and proceeds to show me an APP that allows him to know who the fuck else in the bar HAS AN iPHONE. "See, this lets me know how many iPhones are in the bar and if I get close enough, it will let me know who has one."

I looked at him with a look of disbelief and said, "And you think this is a GOOD thing?"

I am with HG and Gillette for the most part. GPS is a part of phone design now and this is mostly a good thing I think. I think we will see far more people saved, alibi's proven, and crimes solved thanks to GPS on phones and cameras being everyfuckingwhere.

Data collection for advertising has been moving more and more in the direction of tracking your physical habits for some time (Gmail collecting your internet history if you are logged in, Yelp!, Facebook's LIKE) so this should come as no surprise.

19. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

oops, never mind.

#19 Mem, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  20. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    A coworker of mine is in love with this app and he doesn't even have an iPhone though he's planning to get new one when it comes out. I was pretty horrified when I heard about what it does as well but he explained that it only shows other's who have this app and have registered it to display their location when set to do so.

But... while apple controls their app store with an iron fist I don't doubt there's a way to crack this app to show what your number is so that creepy guy you don't know can now text you his fantasies of sniffing your underwear. It's not like there's never been an info leak before. worse it could be hacked to show all iPhones everywhere at anytime. How wonderful. Something to show thieves just where to find your gloriously expensive toy.

I think the app is for the fanboys who think that it actually means something to have an iPhone. As a commonality for social interaction goes I can't think of much weaker. Can you imagine a stranger approaching you just to say, "Hey, we both have iPhones"? So?

I wonder how long it will be before it starts showing up as an attribute on dating sites. "Darlene, you won't believe it. I got a message from a guy on that dating site I use so I read his profile. He's handsome as can be, tall, has a fantastic job and car but he has a Blackberry! Tsk. I couldn't possibly date someone who didn't have an iPhone!"

#20 Gillette, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted