I found a half brother who doesn't know I exist

BBCP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dave, I'm adopted too. I was adopted by my family at 3 days old. Before I say anything else, I want to say that I believe if you feel a need or desire to contact this sibling, do so. The worst thing that can happen is they reply "It's not true, don't contact me again." You seem to need this very much, and if you can fulfill that need, I say you try.

Personally, I don't have any desire to meet my biological family, at least at my instigation. However, if I had someone contact me, claiming to be a bio-sibling or parent, then I would be very cautious. They'd have to be able to prove their claim to me. I'm sure you already know all of this, and since what happened with your bio-mom are prepared, but I just felt it needed saying. Regardless, go for it. Best of luck to you!

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In which case, I have the possibility of knowing two brothers and, perhaps my father.
I think this is something that I need to do and have already drafted a letter but will think on it another day or so.

I agree with you. The need to know your relatives is a powerful drive, and I think it would be worse for you to wonder for the rest of your life than get a rejection from them.

I also agree with curiousme. If I got a thoughtful, heartfelt letter from someone like you - even though I barely even know you - I'd be excited. Trepidatious, sure, but excited none the less.

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You should contact your siblings, let them know who you are, and give them the opportunity to meet you. If they say no then don't push the issue any further!
For the record... all the kids in my family are adopted including myself.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Please keep us updated!

I have a friend who is adopted, and he reached out to his existing family and it went very well for him. I hope it goes well for you, too. I have my fingers crossed!

coachreffn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Dave, you did the right thing. I have been in your position. My situation turned out to be very good. However, I do warn you not to fantasize about the kind of relationship you can have with any genetic relatives that you might have. Some will accept you and others will not.

I know there are those that say your REAL family are the people who love you and cared for you all these years. It is true. However, there is something deep within that those who have grown up with the knowledge of their ancestry and been connected with their genetic family cannot understand. You have been extremely thoughtful and kind in your approach to this. You definitely did the right thing.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, I sent the letter. Now the waiting...
Dave

I'm glad that you decided to do it. I wasn't adopted, but I have spent many years almost expecting to hear about an unknown sibling. It's never happened & at this point I doubt that it will. But I know many people who have discovered unknown relatives...As it stands now, I know that I have at least 2 uncles and an aunt that I've never met. I really hate family secrets...they can cause much more damage than the truth ever could.

I hope you hear from your brother soon and that the outcome is greater than your best wishes.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The guy responded and was very nice. It's not proven we are brothers although I think the circumstances and coincidences are pretty compelling. He's looking into some of the questions from his end and, I think, just trying to wrap his head around the whole idea. I've had decades to think about this. He's had a couple of days. I don't want to say more to protect his privacy but will update if the relationship is confirmed or disproven. Thanks to all who posted. You helped me think this through.
Dave

HeBop

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hope all goes well. Great post I sent you a private message as I am in a simular situation accept my half brother was the one given up for adoption and I would really like to locate him now that my Mother had passed away.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Dave, I hope and pray that everything turns out as you wish it to...and that you will have and be a part of a more extended
family now. You did the right thing and it seems that he is open
to the fact since he did not dismiss you immediately.

You mentioned that he has written a letter to the editor but
nothing else. Was he also inquiring about a relative in that
letter? Just wondering....

In 2008, I discovered that I had grown son that I never knew
about. For two years in the early 1980's, I had a fulltime affair
with his mother, an international flight attendant, before her
airline transferred her from NYC to California. I have to be
honest and say that neither of us were "in love" with each other,
although we were extremely close and very fond of each other,
when she left for California, the affair ended. Our relationship
was, from the very begining, purely a sexual thing.

It seems that after arriving in California, she quickly discovered
herself pregnant. She chose to have the child and to raise him
as a single mother, but since we had not been in love with each
other, she never informed me of his birth. As he grow older he
would ask her who his father was, but she kept saying..."one day
when the time is right, I will tell you." He finally got tired of
asking her and forgot about it.

In March of 2008, his mother died, and just before she died told
him that I was his father. He was a Lt. in the US Marine Corp and
soon after she died he received orders to go to Iraq. Earlier he
had Googled me on the Internet and found where I lived and my
phone number. He made arangements to transit through NYC on
the way overseas and after his arrival into NYC, he called me and
said he was my friend's son and could we meet for a beer, that
he had something to tell me about his mother. I asked him to my
place instead. To make a long story short, we met for about an
hour before he left. He had spent 4 days in a NYC hotel trying
to get the nerve up to call me, only calling me at the last
minute. I had no idea what he was going to tell me.

When I opened the front door, it was like looking at a picture of
myself at his age and I immediately knew what he was going to
tell me. We are working out our problems and the strangeness
between us and trying to make up for 28 lost years. I am over
joyed to learn I have another son...but sad that his mother did
not let us have the chance to know each other earlier. His mother told him she did not tell me for I would have insisted that
we get married and she didn't want to force a marriage upon me.
Yes, I would have married her if I had known.

He has no living relatives through his mother, so now he has a
father who loves him, and a half-brother whom he has yet to
meet....plus my extended family.

I hope you have a good experience and many, many years of
happiness with your new family and relatives.
Good Luck!
Keep us posted...we care...

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
The guy responded and was very nice. It's not proven we are brothers although I think the circumstances and coincidences are pretty compelling. He's looking into some of the questions from his end and, I think, just trying to wrap his head around the whole idea. I've had decades to think about this. He's had a couple of days. I don't want to say more to protect his privacy but will update if the relationship is confirmed or disproven. Thanks to all who posted. You helped me think this through.
Dave
Great news, Dave. I'm so glad for you that he responded positively and with an open mind.

I don't need to tell you to give him time and space to adjust, you know that. Continued good luck with this.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We actually talked about an hour and have exchanged about a dozen e-mail messages. I think he needs time to process this and that I need to be patient while he considers the possibility that the history he was given is missing a few chapters.
Dave