I fucking hate my body...

airc3

Sexy Member
Media
I know exactly what you mean. I've always hated my body. At 5'7" I used to be 270 lbs because I just didn't care. Also, I'm very hairy and absolutely hate it. Add in my bad skin, crooked teeth, and short stature, and you have a recipe for ugliness.

In the past 2 years I've lost 85 lbs, so I'm down to 185 (35.5" waist, but I want to get it lower). While this is obviously good, it's added other issues. Now I have loose skin and stretch marks. And now the hair on my head (the one place I want it) is thinning. Great. Oh, and I've spent almost $4k on laser hair removal for my back and shoulders and am now told it might not work because I have too much testosterone. Yippie.

Other people have told me I'm handsome. I don't see it. I don't want anyone to ever see my body and really have no desire for sex because I consider myself too fat and ugly. I just keep telling myself there are worse things than being a virgin at 27. Right?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I know exactly what you mean. I've always hated my body. At 5'7" I used to be 270 lbs because I just didn't care. Also, I'm very hairy and absolutely hate it. Add in my bad skin, crooked teeth, and short stature, and you have a recipe for ugliness.

In the past 2 years I've lost 85 lbs, so I'm down to 185 (35.5" waist, but I want to get it lower). While this is obviously good, it's added other issues. Now I have loose skin and stretch marks. And now the hair on my head (the one place I want it) is thinning. Great. Oh, and I've spent almost $4k on laser hair removal for my back and shoulders and am now told it might not work because I have too much testosterone. Yippie.

Other people have told me I'm handsome. I don't see it. I don't want anyone to ever see my body and really have no desire for sex because I consider myself too fat and ugly. I just keep telling myself there are worse things than being a virgin at 27. Right?

It sounds like you're going through a much more all encompassing form of something I experience from time to time.

Rarely I get completely fixated on the things I dislike about my body until they become like this huge pychological weight on my mind, and on these rare occassions of intense paranoia about my appearance I can sometimes decide to withdraw slightly from the world. Cancel social arrangements or dates, and simply be alone for a day or two. I think this happens not because of how I actually feel about how I look, it happens because I'm tired and unwell, stressed out, or otherwise emotionally or psychologically taxed.

As I say it doesn't happen to me often, but it has happened.

What I notice about what you're saying is that a lot of your thoughts centre around how you see yourself, and not being able to see what other people see about you.

One thing I'm thankful for is that despite my occassional moments I'm extremely confident about myself as a person, in that I'm proud of who I am, my personality, my life, my achievements and I can look myself in the mirror and like what I see even if I don't always like the way I actually look if you see what I mean.

I think perhaps you could work on becoming more proud of who you are as a human being, do things and think things which help you to love the person you are even if you can't love the body you live in right now. A huge part of being comfortable in your skin has nothing to do with the way that skin looks and a whole lot to do with your overall level of mental wellbeing and satisfaction with life.

Do you think that the way you feel about your appearance is effected by how you feel about yourself as a person more generally? Do you think you could be a happier person and have a more fulfilling life than you do now despite what you think about the way you look? because if you think you could, then I think working on that will definitely help you feel less accutely vulnerable about your appearance.

I'm sorry you feel so bad right now. :redface:

ArtofDesire

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hilaire I really like your response to Airc3, I think there is much value in your words. I feel the same as you and I hope your comments will help Airc3.

airc3

Sexy Member
Media
Well I think you're right on a lot of things. I don't really like anything about myself, inside or out. I never have -- I don't ever remember liking myself or feeling happy. My life is as you've described it -- I am alone in so many ways. Since I've never known anything different, I can't really complain too much.

I basically hate myself and am just waiting to die since I have no real reason to live.

It sounds like you're going through a much more all encompassing form of something I experience from time to time.

Rarely I get completely fixated on the things I dislike about my body until they become like this huge pychological weight on my mind, and on these rare occassions of intense paranoia about my appearance I can sometimes decide to withdraw slightly from the world. Cancel social arrangements or dates, and simply be alone for a day or two. I think this happens not because of how I actually feel about how I look, it happens because I'm tired and unwell, stressed out, or otherwise emotionally or psychologically taxed.

As I say it doesn't happen to me often, but it has happened.

What I notice about what you're saying is that a lot of your thoughts centre around how you see yourself, and not being able to see what other people see about you.

One thing I'm thankful for is that despite my occassional moments I'm extremely confident about myself as a person, in that I'm proud of who I am, my personality, my life, my achievements and I can look myself in the mirror and like what I see even if I don't always like the way I actually look if you see what I mean.

I think perhaps you could work on becoming more proud of who you are as a human being, do things and think things which help you to love the person you are even if you can't love the body you live in right now. A huge part of being comfortable in your skin has nothing to do with the way that skin looks and a whole lot to do with your overall level of mental wellbeing and satisfaction with life.

Do you think that the way you feel about your appearance is effected by how you feel about yourself as a person more generally? Do you think you could be a happier person and have a more fulfilling life than you do now despite what you think about the way you look? because if you think you could, then I think working on that will definitely help you feel less accutely vulnerable about your appearance.

I'm sorry you feel so bad right now. :redface:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Well I think you're right on a lot of things. I don't really like anything about myself, inside or out. I never have -- I don't ever remember liking myself or feeling happy. My life is as you've described it -- I am alone in so many ways. Since I've never known anything different, I can't really complain too much.

I basically hate myself and am just waiting to die since I have no real reason to live.

Ah you have a reason to live, I know me just saying it doesn't make you feel any different necessarily, but what you're going through now doesn't have to be how you'll always feel about yourself.

I know for sure that the best and most powerful way to help yourself to feel better about your life is to help other people with theirs. If you think you could do it maybe you should do some volunteer work or reach out to someone you know who's having a hard time and offer them a hand.

Unless you've done something really truly terrible you don't have to hate yourself, and if you have a diagnosable condition like depression, and it sounds like maybe you could have, then there are definitely ways you can deal with that and feel better.

It sounds trite but there is something beautiful about almost everyone, I know this because I'm trained to see it as an artist, but it's not always something that's physically obvious, and is often something about them as a person. I know there must be or at least certainly can be people in your life who recognise what's beautiful about you.

I'm so sorry (actually it makes me heartsore) you feel this bleak, PM me about this if you feel like it. I'm just an ordinary bloke but I know it can help just to discuss things with someone sometimes.

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Please, what can i say to make you think or feel differently. first, can i offer that u are not alone since something has brought u here to this site and you are sharing your pain with us. there are others who feel the way you do.
for myself, as i've said in a previous post, i go through a great deal of physical pain every day, sometimes more than i think i can take....but i get through it. sometimes i dont know how or why. i do not take medication for it because i believe it will mask the pain and give me a false sense of life. i also believe that it brings out the fighter in me and i will overcome this.
if i may suggest not to look at the overall but find one thing about yourself, physical, mental, spiritual, just something that you do like, large or small, or something that makes you the individual you are. and go with that and find maybe that you do like that.
or sometimes, i'll sit in the park and just watch people, trees, flowers, birds something to distract me and take my mind off me and for a moment or two, things are alright and even that is a start, maybe try that.
but please never feel alone.

Zayne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm glad you don't really hate your body, because if you did and expressed your hatred on this site, you would be in violation of the ToS.

He disqualified the statement AFTER stating it, so it may still be in violation of code. In any case, moderators should investigate.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I suppose I wanted to start this thread to discuss issues men (and women too for that matter) may have surrounding their bodies.

Men are in general discouraged from discussing how they feel about their self image, and yet currently media and cultural pressures on men to look a certain way are increasing significantly. I know I feel that pressure fairly often, not sure how I feel about it, sometimes I like that there's something to motivate me at other times I feel pretty oppressed by what I think I should be aspiring to look like.

I'd quite like to not have to feel forced to workout, or go to yoga, or all the other little annoying things I'm compelled to do, or just not guilty about pigging out on those incredibly rare occassions I allow myself to do so.

It's much, much more difficult now than when I was in my late teens/early 20s, when the gym culture was a tiny minority of men (gay or otherwise). I was lucky in that regard.

But I was also endowed with some pretty spiffy genes, too, and had an odd and (at the time) unexpected combination of my parents' better features: I'm quite short, and stopped growing when I was about 12 or so. Growing up all I heard was, that with my "big hands and feet" that I'd be much taller than my 6' dad. Instead, I never really progressed past 5'6. It took some adjustment before I learned that people of my stature are more welcome into peoples' "personal space" and have used that to my advantage ever since.

My ideal weight is about 155-160, which is supposedly overweight for my height on the BMI scale. But in fact I really do have "big bones": I have unusually broad shoulders for my height and, at least until recently, had insanely muscular legs, which were partly genetic and partly because, as a kid, I was fat, then slimmed as I grew; even when I was fat (130 lbs in 4th grade) I rode everywhere on my bike, swam and water/snow skied; once I began growing taller all these activities increased. Even as an adult, I walked everywhere I needed to go (or took the subway); I didn't buy my first car until I was 38. All that (plus the genes) made for powerfully muscular legs that just weighed a lot.

As the gym culture was tiny (and the waif/twink culture non-existent), I was content with natural abs and no real pec definition: I wasn't flabby, but hardly ripped. That never prevented me from wearing a bikini on the beach, especially when I'd travel to So America or Europe. Between my legs, shoulders, reasonable arms* and personality, I could pull off anything I wanted.

*Note: pic taken at 18, certainly not 26 :rolleyes:

If I'd been a bottom (or even a little versatile), I'd have stressed over my ass, which has always been one of my weakest features: small, slim and flat. Usually someone with such large legs would have a corresponding booty, but I never had that. As I'd have never put it to use, its lack was just a small sticking point in my vanity.

I've gained weight beyond 160 twice in my life, mostly "marital happy fat", and learned that I kept the same basic shape, just added weight everywhere (especially in odd places like my wrists and ankles and neck), and each time I lost the extra weight, my old positives (like my "cum gutters") would re-emerge. The first time it was by a vanity diet (in my later 20s), the second I'll get to below.

I never went to the gym before I moved to France in 1990, when I was 30, but there, with the help of my BF, slimmed way down while sculpting my abs, sprouting smallish pecs and growing out even more musculature in my arms. French food, being of a much higher quality while be portioned smaller (by American standards) meant that, by the time I came home for good a few years later, I had that Rock Star look, which I maintained with haphazard gym visits and, later, yoga. But merchandizing furniture stores certainly didn't hurt, either.

I don't really hate my body, but I sometimes come close to it, I have a lot of health issues which at this point in my life I'm sick to fuck of dealing with and talking about, none of which helps me with the whole trying to keep in shape thing. I sometimes describe my body as uncooperative, in doing so I'm deploying that charmingly English habit of understatement. In fact I don't hate my body, it hates me. :tongue:

I reached my heaviest (about 180) around the time I was 40: in a supposedly-happy (and still fairly stable) relationship. Though I can trace my infection to an incident in 1984, I did not get tested until 1996 when the better drugs came out; when I was diagnosed as HIV+, with a few troubling health issues, besides, my life took a dramatic change, and my body with it.

It's too complicated to really discuss here, but concurrent with my other issues, I was put on a different medication regime when I switched HIV docs, and within three weeks my cholesterol had gone from 150 to 525 and my triglycerides were at foie gras levels. I was told that this medication was my last best option and that I should consult the nutritionist on staff for a special diet. I now call this my "medically-supervised wasting", and went from ~180 to ~140 in about four months.

This panicked everyone around me, but I trusted my doctor, and eventually my blood lipids were under control, but it took years: I was on that fucking diet for almost five years. I was give a strict list of what was OK and learned how to learn what was not. It was a very strict no-fat, no-cholesterol never-no-kidding diet: no beef, no pork, no sweets, very little bread, no dairy (unless fat-free). For a gourmand like myself to be denied such total pleasure was terrible.

My sister and my then-partner got on so poorly that I was obliged to only see here rarely, which really hurt because she'd always been my best support, and as my relationship grew increasingly destabilized, I felt increasingly isolated. When she came to CT for a visit after about two years of not having seen me since the diet, she shook and blinked back tears out in the driveway.

When I asked her if I really looked that bad, she shook her head and, swallowing and regaining composure: "No, not bad, just really different". My face was altered beyond recognition as the lipoatrophy caused by the meds (and that dreadful diet) drained all fat from it. Eventually, I'd be left with practically zero body fat.

That sounds nifty in theory, but for someone with my "big bones" and whatever remained of my musculature, being reduced to skin, muscle cartilage and bone gives me what I feel is a gaunt affect which is naturally associated with advanced HIV disease.

After finally shedding myself of that toxic relationship, I went back to the gym and got impressive results very quickly, and when I had a brief period of private insurance got on Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), which added about 15 pounds of body mass through water retention, though it certainly did take a lot of that bony, AIDSy look away. Most of my gallery has pix taken at that time or shortly thereafter. I have attached a current pic at the bottom of this post, taken less than a month ago at Pride. For the record, I'm at about 145 right now that all the TRT mass is gone.

TBH it's wearisome, feeling constantly like I need to look like a strappingly healthy 20 year old who works out twice a day, when I'm a less than perfectly healthy (see there's that charming habit again) 31 year old who has a job and doesn't always have the time or the energy to follow the Brazilian Body plan.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share a little and open the discussion see if anyone else out there is feeling less than enamoured (see I did it again) of the flesh they inhabit.

To a large extent, I've accepted things about my appearance because I haven't the means nor the will to change all that much. I've found coping strategies that work: virtually everything needs tailoring or else it looks much too large, and I simply won't buy boys' (or women's) wear. That makes purchasing much new clothing much too expensive: size 28 (when I can even find it) in jeans or pants hang off my bony ass. But it's so hot here that one doesn't really wear all that much except for a few weeks in winter.

And, of course, I wear very, very little to work that anyone would even call clothing :rolleyes:

But coping isn't the same as enjoying. I'd *love* to have my body fat restored, but won't ever happen.

Attachments

Reactions: MurdockPSB

cestmoi1979

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
My self-perception is not that great either. I'm happy that I'm not overweight and with my health in general, but I don't like my shape. I feel like I have wide hips and narrow shoulders. Combined with a narrow waist I feel like I have an (albeit very sender) hourglass figure, instead of the inverted triangle all guys want to be.

However I have to say I'm very happy with what I got in the penis dept =D

Skinny Manny

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I suppose I wanted to start this thread to discuss issues men (and women too for that matter) may have surrounding their bodies.

Men are in general discouraged from discussing how they feel about their self image, and yet currently media and cultural pressures on men to look a certain way are increasing significantly. I know I feel that pressure fairly often, not sure how I feel about it, sometimes I like that there's something to motivate me at other times I feel pretty oppressed by what I think I should be aspiring to look like.

I'd quite like to not have to feel forced to workout, or go to yoga, or all the other little annoying things I'm compelled to do, or just not guilty about pigging out on those incredibly rare occassions I allow myself to do so.

I don't really hate my body, but I sometimes come close to it, I have a lot of health issues which at this point in my life I'm sick to fuck of dealing with and talking about, none of which helps me with the whole trying to keep in shape thing. I sometimes describe my body as uncooperative, in doing so I'm deploying that charmingly English habit of understatement. In fact I don't hate my body, it hates me. :tongue:

TBH it's wearisome, feeling constantly like I need to look like a strappingly healthy 20 year old who works out twice a day, when I'm a less than perfectly healthy (see there's that charming habit again) 31 year old who has a job and doesn't always have the time or the energy to follow the Brazilian Body plan.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share a little and open the discussion see if anyone else out there is feeling less than enamoured (see I did it again) of the flesh they inhabit.

I was the same way for the first 50 years of my life. No muscles, no definition. But there ARE folks out there attracted to my body type and I married one. Big mistake, but that's another story. Due to the existence of the internet I found that there are others like me and we're excited by the same things. I used to hate the stares but now I invite them. I guess I just like the attention and wish I had changed my attitude decades ago.

Reactions: MurdockPSB

weho48

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I starved myself from the day I came out and worked out from them on and believe me it did not one bit of good as far as attracting anyone.
It has taken me years to realize that loving yourself no matter what is the most important thing no matter what you look like. Because in the end you only have yourself to depend on and get through life. To sound corny it is more important what is on the inside than the outside. Because sometimes a gorgeous person is like an empty gift box and it is the plain person than can maybe change your life. Don't overlook anyone based on their looks...I hope that didn't offend anyone I am just generalizing from my own experiences No disrespect to the gorgeous people intended !!! just sayin be happy with who you are you are all you have