I got doubly amused

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
2 methods here--
click on ssnead's profile and then search his/her/its past posts..check out "I got so ashamed" located also here (for your ease)http://www.lpsg.org/relationships-discrimination-and-jealousy/52228-i-got-so-ashamed.html
the topic has (mercifully) been closed (although it had one or two amusing moments).
Thanks - I think ...

That thread started pretty low - low enough that I felt no urge to read it, originally - but managed to go to rock bottom before ssn even chimed in. Except for the citation of "facts that are statistically demonstrable and irrefutable" - if we could believe those sorts of "facts", I'd be up to my credentials in globally-warmed seawater already - his contributions were hardly the lowest denominator there. And if I'm not mistaken, I spotted three cases of incipient or actual moderator abuse. (That's abuse by, not of, moderators.) A pretty good haul, for one thread.

ssnead

Just Browsing
Media
That thread started pretty low - low enough that I felt no urge to read it, originally - but managed to go to rock bottom before ssn even chimed in. Except for the citation of "facts that are statistically demonstrable and irrefutable" - if we could believe those sorts of "facts", I'd be up to my credentials in globally-warmed seawater already - his contributions were hardly the lowest denominator there. And if I'm not mistaken, I spotted three cases of incipient or actual moderator abuse. (That's abuse by, not of, moderators.) A pretty good haul, for one thread.

I was about to let loose (once again) on Hickboy and Chuckie as I truly believe they deserve it and have grown accustomed to the fawning adoration of the large number of sycophants around here. The resulting mob mentality is sickening and I, for one, tend to feel motivated to post when I see that mob target some poor slob whose sense of the contours of LPSG-flavor political correctness is not sufficiently developed.

However, with apologies to BD, I think his post is a fair assessment and it is sufficient to let his words stand. "With apologies" because I'm fairly certain his motivation is not to defend me (in whatever capacity his words could conceivably so operate), but instead to provide a moderate voice seeking resolution.

Having said that, I stand by everything I wrote, fully resolute. If I see the same again, I'll let fly. Ban me if you find it intolerable that someone exists who might hold you accountable for your attitude and words. I suggest, at the very least, that you just do it, instead of issuing empty threats.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fair enough ssnead at least you are prepared to stand by what you think is correct and take whatever consequences that involves.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
However, with apologies to BD, I think his post is a fair assessment and it is sufficient to let his words stand. "With apologies" because I'm fairly certain his motivation is not to defend me (in whatever capacity his words could conceivably so operate), but instead to provide a moderate voice seeking resolution.
I'm rarely accused of being a moderate voice. As usual, I'm defending everyone's right to toss hand grenades. If they're defensible hand grenades, so much the better.

But at some point, it gets tiresome. It's then time to drop it, whatever it is. Deciding just when a thread has exceeded its "sell by" date is a matter of judgement. But some cases are easy; threads which have degenerated to the sort of rote name-calling that wouldn't challenge a junior high student have generally exceeded their useful lifetimes. Let them die, and toss a fresh hand grenade the next time that's appropriate.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When the gangs start to gather in a thread and mob "violence" erupts you usually do wade in and defend the victims right to post. I've seen it have a calming affect on threads a few times.

This has happened before, (not the BD calming thing) - the 'pick a number to bash' threads. I recall the thread where Dongalong (I think) was torn limb from limb for breaches of PC-ness - real or percieved.

It and other similar episodes caused a schism here for some time, some members made tearful and grandiose farewells and 'final posts' yet somehow stuck around anyway, others just seemed to fade away.

Once the blood is up, people stop reading what's actually written and a 'vitual' posse, the rest speaks for itself.

It's Human nature I suppose but it's still ugly however you look at it. If the thread is left open it threatens to disrupt the whole board, if it's locked then it's likely to draw calls of big brother-ism and Mod abuse.

People say tactless things here as they do IRL, it deserves drawing to their attention, and sometimes that's enough, or should be. If it's repeated then further action may be necessary, after all as Gilette said we're all supposed to be over 18, sometimes the evidence for that seems thin on the ground.

But it has to be said, the LPSG 'P.C. Police' do appear to just love an occasional good new fangled virtual lynching!

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's Human nature I suppose but it's still ugly however you look at it. If the thread is left open it threatens to disrupt the whole board, if it's locked then it's likely to draw calls of big brother-ism and Mod abuse.

That demonstrates exactly how the Mods are in a no win situation on this board. I've always found them to be pretty open about things but even then they get criticised.:mad:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've always found them to be pretty open about things but even then they get criticised.:mad:
There's an inflammatory statement.

I have never had either a specific or a more general procedural question answered by a moderator. Not once.

The best we peons seem to deserve are airy dismissals of any specific questions with unsupported claims that there were "other factors" involved. That doesn't fit my definition of "open".

The worst are tantrums by one poobah (in particular - you get to guess who) about how the moderators are above reproach, fluffed up with a couple of whiny paragraphs of ad hominem attacks.

Lacking any evidence at all to the contrary, I continue to regard the mod system here as abusive and generally unsatisfactory.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media

I have never had either a specific or a more general procedural question answered by a moderator. Not once.

The best we peons seem to deserve are airy dismissals of any specific questions with unsupported claims that there were "other factors" involved. That doesn't fit my definition of "open".

The worst are tantrums by one poobah (in particular - you get to guess who) about how the moderators are above reproach, fluffed up with a couple of whiny paragraphs of ad hominem attacks.

Lacking any evidence at all to the contrary, I continue to regard the mod system here as abusive and generally unsatisfactory.
Then quit.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Then your experience is different to mine which fine. It wasn't mean to be an imflammatory statement. You chose to read it that way. I was writing from my own experiences.

I think we have to accept that there will be occasions where factors cannot be disclosed for reasons of member confidentiality whether you like it or not.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think we have to accept that there will be occasions where factors cannot be disclosed for reasons of member confidentiality whether you like it or not.
No, lacking a definition of "member confidentiality", I can safely reject that statement. It's a convenient shield for their nefarious secrecy and little more.