Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So I have been remodeling my little house this past year and have been just OK with my neighbor. I live in a small gated community and there is an association that is big on rules. I want to get along with these people but it can be a challenge. The houses are free standing and considered an actual house (not condo) but our back house wall makes up two walls of the neighbors back yard court. She has a new boyfriend living with her and he is a gardener. This 50 something couple has apparently planted many plants including a fair amount of ivy on our back wall. I know this because I was fixing the roof and saw it and it can also be seen from the street. it is against the rules to grow/attach anything to a neighbors wall. My parents first house was damaged by a neighbors ivy...wall and roof. So I am very concerned about letting it go. I could talk to her directly about the problem but I don't see a compromise. I want it off the wall. So that leaves me with going to the association. I hate that this neighbor has put me in this position but she didn't seem to care enough to ask me when planting. What do you guys think is the best call in this situation?

accemb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As a past president of my condo association, this is definitely a matter you should pass along to the property manager, and have the association notify them that they are in violations of the rules and regulations. Our bylaws allow us to fine the violator if the situation is not remedied within an agreeable time frame.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yep, sounds good. I have been told by a few guys that have come by the house to deliver appliances or work (like the cute plumber) that she is openly mean to them. I was shocked that she did this to people just doing their job. They weren't blocking her car or anything but I guess she said rather confrontational things to them out of my ear shot. I kind of thought it was because they were Hispanic as she didn't do this to the AC/Heater guy that is white but parked in the same space. Her behavior seems erratic to me sometimes so I guess that is what has made me cautious.

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just go and speak to them, tell them that you're worried it can damage proprety and that for their own sake they might get in trouble with the association. As long as you don't come across as a righteous crusader they may even thank you for letting them now. Much better than telling the association direct and creating permanent animosity.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yes, this recommendation by Endued is good. Only escalate to telling the association if they are not cooperative.

Though it sounds like she might get that way.. good luck.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i would definately talk with the neighbors first. if they get shitty and are unco-operative THEN i would let the association know.
ivy is terribly destructive no matter what the surface. it sucks the mortar our from brick and stone and rots wood and stucco in no time. no. no.
not good.
just go have a chat with the neighbors and see what they say. if they are contrary then bid them adieu and go check in with the condo nazis. that's what they are there for.
good luck!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
i would definately talk with the neighbors first. if they get shitty and are unco-operative THEN i would let the association know.
ivy is terribly destructive no matter what the surface. it sucks the mortar our from brick and stone and rots wood and stucco in no time. no. no.
not good.
just go have a chat with the neighbors and see what they say. if they are contrary then bid them adieu and go check in with the condo nazis. that's what they are there for.
good luck!
+1