I guess I'll grow up, dammit

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My best friend sent me a link, and while I know she sent it to share a laugh I'm kind of taking it to heart.

Top 10 Items You're Too Old to Wear | Lifescript.com

Now that I'm 40, I guess I have to really take stock of my closet because I know I have at least seven items on the list!!! But shoes? C'mon! Not the shoes!

Anyway, read it and see if it hits you in the tush too.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nooo! Not my low rise jeans! I refuse to give them up! At least I have a few more years to wear cork wedges and my gladiator sandals!

Other than the shoes and the jeans, I really don't indulge in many of the other ones. I don't actually like hobo bags and I've been waiting for that trend to die.

I disagree with the white tank top. That's a staple garment, and a timeless one. Just because it happens to currently be trendier than usual doesn't mean that women over a certain age have to stop wearing them.

The recommendation to just have one loud accessory at a time is just good fashion sense to me.

Seriously, I'm not giving up my low rise jeans.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I found the article rather insulting. I'm not sure which mall the writer of that article visits, but I don't see many fashionista's flaunting their zebra purses or plastic bangles in mine. Maybe they actually visited WALMART for the fashion faux pas mentioned?

I don't care how old I am, I'm not giving up my jeans or my heels (or my flipflops for that matter.) I've always shuddered at the sight of animal print so no worries there. I also hate the gigantic bags that some seem to be enamoured with. I prefer my pockets or a small bag when I HAVE to carry more than lip balm or a debit card.

I cannot think of one person over 16 that wears Hello Kitty hair accessories??? Utter rubbish...

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I confess to already giving up my low-riders, and I never cared for the extra large bags, just sloppy. But I have one of Cap's undershirts that I wear to work around the house. No, I'll never ever go out in public with it, not even to Walmart!

And since daughter never cared much for Hello Kitty I've never had a product in my house. But the shoes. oh the shoes are another matter. I'm going to have to really think about that.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think that as long as I don't try to look like a teenager, I'm pretty safe in wearing over the knee boots, or a white cotton t, or skinny jeans. I don't do it all at once tho. Plus, I think we should all wear at least one accessory or piece of clothing everyday that makes us feel good - regardless of what that might be (except for Hello Kitty clips, definitely not those!)

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There are plenty of things in that article are based on lack of style, not age appropriate. I am well within the age range for that article and I wouldn't wear most of that list. It is a matter of style and knowing fashion

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Bullshit

While I agree about the "message Ts" and hair gadgets... except I think no one should wear them...
A woman can wear whatever her figure and her personal style seems to fit.

I have seen women in their 20s who should not be wearing low rise jeans... and I have seen women in their 50s and 60s who still have the shape and the verve to took fantastic in them.

Same for high heels... if you can wear a stunning dress and you have the kind of legs that beg to be shown off... wear as high heel as you please...
There is a woman in our town who is 70, and still wears short skirts and sky high heels...
Her figure is well formed and fit, her hair may be white, but it is beautifully styled, and her hands apparently are still steady enough to deftly apply makeup in a becoming manner. She doesn't look like she's trying to be 30... she looks like a really beautiful woman with taste and a clear sense of what looks good on her.

As to cleavage... its true that most women do not properly get fitted for a bra... and its true that cheap lingerie is not nearly as nice as well made and well styled lingerie... again, it has a lot to do with your individual body shape and coloring.

Cleavage is fine, if your breasts are pleasantly shaped, and if the dress or top is well designed, and a décolletage is suitable for the occasion... (i.e. Not the Parent Teacher meeting )

Forget about fashion rules and rather, invest in a good mirror and good lighting for your dressing room.
Find the styles and cuts of clothing that flatter your shape, draw attention to your more appealing attributes, and away from your less appealing attributes...

But, frankly... there is no age at which tasteless and tacky clothing is okay.

And grace and elegance and well tailored clothing is always good.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PS-- by that I mean, No, its not attractive to wear your jammies out in public, no matter how young you are.
Slovenly and lazy are not 'styles'... they are vices.

hsarge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wear what you like and makes you feel good. to hell with some other persons standard. Ellie you look great and should dress any way you like. I guess Sophia Loren should wear a bun, orthopedic shoes and a sack dress; she's 75 and I'm sure that author would consider that age appropriate. Don't let some tight ass set your standard.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, Cap said I even show cleavage when I wear a turtleneck, so I'm kind of limited in dressing appropriately. But I do agree with some of the things in the article. I wore out my "They're Real and They're Spectacular" t-shirt some time ago. Besides, I can still wear the hell of out my little black dress and spikes and micro clutch. I think that's all I need! LOL!

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, Cap said I even show cleavage when I wear a turtleneck, so I'm kind of limited in dressing appropriately. But I do agree with some of the things in the article. I wore out my "They're Real and They're Spectacular" t-shirt some time ago. Besides, I can still wear the hell of out my little black dress and spikes and micro clutch. I think that's all I need! LOL!

LOL, you actually had a shirt that said that?:biggrin1: I have a tank from VicSecs that says "Dream On" across the chest. It really has the lyrics to Dream On on the inside. I wouldn't wear it out because it's only amusing in the privacy of my home. Kind of like wearing a Coppafeel shirt out in public. I know the shirt is for breast cancer, but there's no way I should wear something out that says that. Someone might actually coppafeel and then it would be hard to argue about them touching me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you are 40 Years old, you are old enough to decide for yourself what you should wear you don't need your mum telling you what you should wear.

Stop reading this crap :smile:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen you post something of sense. I agree with you 100%.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do they really advise you to wear cheap unflattering underwear at any age?

I'm never giving up my fancy big girl panties! They're one of my better splurges and make me feel wonderful. No baggy stuff for me. Never!